1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which HID Temp/Color Do you prefer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bp_phil16, Jul 1, 2009.

?

Which Hid Temp/Beam Do you prefer

Poll closed Jul 31, 2009.
  1. 1. 4,300K(Low Beam)

6.0%
  2. 2. 6,000K(Low Beam)

10.8%
  3. 3. 8,000K(Low Beam)

2.4%
  4. 4. 4,300K(Hi+Low Beam)

15.7%
  5. 5. 6,000K(Hi+Low Beam)

59.0%
  6. 6. 8,000K(Hi+Low Beam)

6.0%
  1. Jul 3, 2009 at 12:10 AM
    white+Peal

white+Peal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Magaflow catback exhaust, AEM CAI, front bumper made by famous fabrication, JBA long tube headers, All pro back bumper, BPF raptor style grill, 3' toytech lift
    not to seem like an asshole the 10k's are blue and i do agree with the purple HIDs that u have no visibility :)

2. Jul 3, 2009 at 12:11 AM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    X2, Absolutely nothing wrong with OEM.

3. Jul 3, 2009 at 12:29 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    I'll give you that. 12k is purple.

4. Jul 4, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    bp_phil16

bp_phil16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Bad Ass 06 4x4 Silver 4 Door Tacoma
    17'' Robby Gordon Wheels 33'' All-Terrain T/A Volant Cold Air Intake Magna Flow Exhaust URD MAF Limo Tint Billet Grill 3 HID's Behind Grill Headlight HID's Foglight HID's Tc UCA Kings in front and rear White face with blue needles; guage cluster Xm Radio Pioneer Double Din Deck Back Up Camera Navigation Amped Alpine Speakers 2 JL Audio 10's(Behind Seat) 2 Alpine Amps(Behind Seat)
    For some reason i dont really like the clean cut off HID's

5. Jul 4, 2009 at 12:29 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    here is a retrofit with OEM Acura TSX projectors with a color mod. I swapped out my 4Runner projectors for a pair of TSX, got oem ballasts and OEM Phillips bulbs. I cannot get good pictures of my cutoff with color mod, but here are some excellent pictures showing how clear and crisp oem hid projectors are.

Taken from Haknslash on http://www.hidplanet.com

6. Aug 29, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    trdferguson

trdferguson Active Member

Member:
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC/SB TRD Sport
    Ok lighting is new to me, so pardon the "cluelessness".. in the last post that guy haknslash has his light look like its cut off - I love that. I had a 2006 VW GTI and it had stock HIDs that were like that, then when you flipped to brights, it just "added" to the upper portion of the light - awesome! How do I get that with my Tacoma?

AND, I want some HIDs that look stock, like a Lexus IS or BMW/Porsche or something, crisp and clear, with a slight, SLIGHT tint of blue (what is that 5000k color temp?). How do I get that along with that "cutoff" look from the above pics - and if I flip to brights, will it just "add" to the cutoff like my VW?

Thanks for the help

7. Aug 29, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    For the slight tint of blue, you would love the 6000k bulbs. Here is a search of the member galleries of 6000k bulbs http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showgallery.php?si=6000K&x=9&y=13&limit=

In order to get that "cutoff" you would have to perform a retrofit of projectors in your headlights. It is pretty expensive to have someone do it if you can't In order to get that "cutoff" you would have to perform a retrofit of projectors in your headlights. It is pretty expensive to have someone do it if you can't do it yourself (which I can't). However if you do a lot of night driving, or just like the look/capabilities of HIDs it is easily justifiable.

8. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    trdferguson

Member:
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I've had HIDs and I love em, thats why these standard halogen bulbs in the Tacoma have to go ;) So has anyone retrofit their Tacoma projectors? Is there a write up on that?

9. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    There is somewhere, let my try and find it. I edited my previous post with a link so check that out

10. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
  11. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    vbibi

vbibi Well-Known Member

Member:
    san fransisco bay area
    Vehicle:
    2009 4door long bed
    Hi,
    How about the legality of such lights in California?
    This Mothers are pooling you over for nothing
    take care
    vbibi:(

12. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    trdferguson

Member:
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm.. I think the color/brightness is a perfect match, however I don't want to have to replace my entire headlight fixture (whats that called? Projector? What the heck is a projector?) - I'd rather keep them stock for looks and for the best seal that I can have; nothing fits as tight as OEM.. I definitely don't want water leaks or anything, I've heard a lot of problems with aftermarket headlights and leaking...

13. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:34 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Well you can't acheive the cut off without projectors. The projector is what keeps the HIDs legal, and keeps them from blinding everyone on the road. That is why GSak had the retrofit professionally done. He was weary of aftermarket kits on eBay so he went with a reputable company to do his for him.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    trdferguson

Member:
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Ah ok cool. Is there a way to keep the stock headlight fixture that houses the bulb with those retrofit projectors (I don't know if that just made any sense..)?

15. Aug 29, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    If I understand correctly you want it to be basically 100% stock looking?

You need some sort of projector to achieve the cut off, and in most states, make the HIDs legal

[​IMG]

This is the projector. The HID bulb goes inside of this to "project" to correct light pattern. You will see these inside of many luxury cars now that you know what it is

16. Aug 29, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    trdferguson

Member:
    Yorktown, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yup you got it - 100% stock. I think I understand now the whole "projector" and its relation to the housing.. its not the housing and its not the halogen bulb.. I could see where you'd have to cut for a large enough projector to fit, but somehow water and dirt seal it..

So what makes a projector retrofit? Is it a custom fit into OEM?

17. Aug 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Exactly. That is why projector retrofits can become quite pricey.

If you are worried about water, have you looked at the stock assembly? The only thing keeping water out from around the halogen bulb is a huge rubber grommet. I had trouble with leaking after i doing my variation of the black headlight mod. It didn't seal correctly when I put everything back together. When I took that grommet off to redo the project, about 16 oz of water poured out.

I guess where I am going with this rambling is it is very easy to seal the headlights, just I don't have the engineering ability yet to be comfortable retrofitting projectors. That is why many people choose to let professionals do it. If you pick a good one that is reliable, you shoudn't have any worries

18. Aug 29, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    04coma

04coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temple Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 trd offroad sr5 prerunner debadged
    air aid intake and throttle body spacer billet grill clear corner lights and 3rdbrake decal "coma" :)
    ok isnt the hid the same thing as http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?displayName=Headlight&currentPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Electrical+%26+Lighting&navValue=15700044&itemId=44-0&parentId=57-0 which one of these will get me white light not the ugly yellow oem bulbs

19. Aug 31, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual

Products Discussed in

To Top