1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which one? 06 Daytona 675 or 08 R6.

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by Fabulous, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Aug 8, 2013 at 8:48 AM
    Fabulous

Fabulous [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Looking at two used bikes after having neen off sportbikes in 9 years. The Daytona is mint like showroom condition with 4400kms, aftermarket Akro exhaust, double bubble windscreen, Triumph gel seat, new tires, and the R6 is also mint with 8000kms but totally stock. Daytona is priced at $6400 Canadian, and the R6 is $6000.

The R6 is likely a bit more reliable, but probably not a huge deal. The Daytona feels racier sitting on it, but I like the engine better, and the fact it feels so small. The R6 is about $100 less a year to ensure, but doesn't give me wood :) like the Daytona does.

Bike will be to go riding with my wife who just picked up a Ducati Monster, and occasionally some longer trips, but I don't intend to tour on it or anything.

What's the opinion of ya'll?

2. Aug 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Sounds like your mind is already made up. Daytona.

3. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    My heart say's Daytona, but I want something reliable that I will just have to do the maintenance on and ride it, as opposed to my wife's Ducati were I have to check valves, and replace belts, etc..

Also everyone seems to have an R6, but I see almost no Daytonas around, and I want something different. Heard the Daytona is kinda uncomfortable which I'm not super keen on, but I guess all sport bikes are like that to some extent.

4. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    636 kawasaki ninja

5. Aug 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    daytona

/thread

6. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    The only drawbacks that I have really heard of with the Triumphs are minor electrical, burning some oil, and maybe leaking some oil. To me that is about like our Tacomas, weak springs, mirror in the way, blah blah blah. I know a couple guys that run track days pretty often on them and have never had a single problem or complaint.

7. Aug 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I heard about the Triumphs burning oil as well...sounds like my 911, as all air cooled 911's burn a little bit.

Just want something exciting and reliable.

8. Aug 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    BadWolf4x4

BadWolf4x4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD OR 6sp
    I have an street triple r (very similar to the Daytona 675) and i would recommend it 100%. Absolute blast to ride and i love the agile feel it has. I have had zero issues with it so far, but i have pretty low miles still with only about 4 good riding months a year in seattle :(

If i were you, i would take the daytona over the r6 hands down. Just my $0.02.

9. Aug 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
  10. Aug 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Numnutz, how do you find the (relative) confort of the Daytona? I'm 5'-9" tall and about 150 lbs with a boney ass. You think this bike will be a torture rack on some longer-ish trips? My previous bike was a CBR600F4i, and I could ride that for 5-6 hours with a break here and there.

I heard these bikes are hard on the wrists, and the seats are hard? This Daytona has the Triumph low gel seat on it which might help a bit on that end (and mine, lol)

11. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    triumph is a much more aggressive seating position than even an r6. the gel seat may help. my roommate has a 675 and it's a great bike, but i wouldn't want it for long, long trips.

r6s are great as well, maybe more reliable, but not nearly as "exclusive" or exotic. get the 675.

12. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I checked out the R6 and 675 on a site that shows the ergos, and they showed them at pretty much the same angles for forward lean, and knee bend, just the 675 has a higher, more narrow seat.

I wouldn't go on a week long tour or anything, but I'd like to be able to ride it for a few hours with fuel breaks. Possible?

13. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    I've owned an R6 and I also had a Triumph TT600 which like the older version of the daytona. I loved the R6 over the Trumph ran better smoother faster & easier to get parts I'm R6 all day. IMO

The Daytona is also 675 so that is something to think about.

14. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    1stgenpre

1stgenpre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Foothills of NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Sport Speedway Blue
    Tint, shorty antenna, custom bedside decals, Weather Tech mats, undercover bed cover, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD shift knob, 3 inch lift, Level 8 MK 6 wheels in matte black, BFG A/Ts 285/70/17, LED bed lights by tacodane, nfab steps, salex organizer, bed extender, pioneer head unit, satoshi grill, tacoma trucks sunshade, more to come...
    Daytona without a doubt. I went to rookie school to be a LEO with a guy that had the Daytona. At the time I had a 600RR....I instantly fell in love and swore that if I ever bought another bike it would be the Triumph. He had some goodies on his as well like the gel seats, high end rear sets, etc. he took it on long trips religiously without any complaints. Although I love Hondas and had always driven them I was willing to give them up for that Daytona. Those bikes are just straight up sexier and more exotic and they definitely set themselves apart from the same old street bikes. Good Luck, but to me it would be the Triumph hands down.

15. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    Whiskey Neat

Whiskey Neat Loading....

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Key Largo
    Vehicle:
    13 Black DCSB
    None yet
    I was researching 675s about 18mos ago and surprisingly, they have very good reliability ratings, and from what I have heard, they are one of the easist sportbikes to work on. Very logical mechanical layout, easy access to all the nuts and bolts, almost no special tools needed, etc.

I ended up getting a slightly used Ducati 1098 (RIP) for the same price I was looking to spend on a 675, so all my knowledge is purely academic.

16. Aug 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    I know you have selected two candidates already, but with your concerns for comfort have you considered a naked bike? More upright seating position and generally more comfortable seat. Yammy FZs and Triumph Street Triple with my bias being towards the triple would be great bikes for what you want. With the ST3 you get the same engine as a Daytona with a slightly lower redline and more torque on the bottom.

Saddlemans seat is said to be a great improvement over the stock Daytona seat if you choose that route.

Regulator rectifier and stator are only real issue I'm aware of and I think triumph is footing the bill even for out of warranty bikes. Although sometimes slow getting parts, triumph seems to have great customer service from what I have heard.

17. Aug 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I was looking at the street triple, and speed triple and found this...

Street triple- None for sale locally, and I don't like the looks as much, especially the twin rear cans. Would require an aftermarket can, rear seat cowl, and some other stuff to make me really dig it.

Speed triple- This was actually my first choice, but again none for sale locally. Even had a wanted add up for 2 months. Love the way they look even stock, but after sitting on one in person they felt rather large after looking at the daytona. I had two people offer me their bikes off my add, but they wanted way too much for them for the years I wanted (05-07) as I don't want to spend over $6500 Canadian.

I opened up what I was looking at, and looked at the Daytona, and found that I really liked the power delivery, and just love the way it looks!

18. Aug 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    dont buy an 08 r6 unless you plan to hit the track...ive had a built 08 r6r and a gsxr 750 and a 636 ninja...all modded by me and ridden very hard...the r6 is a sick bike...with my mods and tunning i was keeping up with litre bikes no problem and gps varifyed 186mph with about 400rpms left....but it was miserable around town and speed limit highway rides....if u were under a 100 it sucked....go with the daytona way better tq for around town and a smoother ride

19. Aug 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I'm about exactly your size. I think it's more comfortable than my old gsxr600, but still not comfortable lol. I wouldn't want to do 5-6 hours on it, but is it possible? Yes. I've done 120 miles on it in 1.5 hrs and I needed a break afterward. Gel seat will be useful, but where I really feel it is on my wrists. You're gonna get that with any supersport though.

Also, the bars on the 600F4i aren't nearly as swept back as on today's supersports.

20. Aug 8, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    Fabulous

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    I'll likely look into some heli bars for it, which might help a bit.

Products Discussed in

To Top