1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Was Worse: Iran/Contra or Operation ‘Fast and Furious’?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Packman73, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jul 28, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Good read is all true. I also want to see how high this goes???

2. Jul 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    I'm getting really tired of the feds picking on my state.

Also, Packer... If your summary of what's happening across the border is correct, then I smell the beginnings of human rights violations by the drug-lords. Maybe in it's attempt to find an excuse to pick on us gun toting freaks, they may have (either inadvertently or purposefully, you decide) feed a situation that will grow into a legitimate excuse to send the UN in. If things get bad enough then no country is going to object to us helping the mexican people with our army under a UN flag.

food for thought

3. Jul 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I think 'Fast and Furious' was a failed attempt to get American guns into Mexico so they could blame gun stores, manufacturers and straw purchasers in order to pass anti-2A legislation. To me, it seems obvious.

4. Jul 28, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Arming countries and then going to war with them is kind of our thing. You may have noticed.

We sold Iraq an awful lot of shit in the 80s when we wanted them as a bulwark against Iran, before we started blowing them up in the 90s and present.

Sizeable list of other countries with brown people that we used to sell arms to and now just fire arms into.

Bein' a hegemon ain't easy...

You...they...I'm not sure they're terribly concerned about that. What with the war-zone they've turned Mexico

It's not a scandal. People have to care for it to be a scandal. No one cares about this except a couple people on the internet.

5. Jul 28, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    Give it another year or 2 at the current rate of decay and we'll be bordering another Somalia. If no one starts screaming bloody murder about that then I truly will lose faith in the human rights movement and start referring to them as the same fickle mob that many people in this world are members of.

6. Jul 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    True. Canada is really going downhill these days.

Maybe I'm confused...you're saying we should do something about crime in Mexico? I'm more of the opinion Mexico should do something about crime in Mexico.

7. Jul 28, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    When I was a teenager in Austin, I used to travel to border towns all the time with my friends... everyone did... for Spring Break, or just for the hell of it. Today, I don't even venture south of San Antonio. Here in SA, you hear about the cartels, Mexican mafia, etc., committing crimes along the border and even here in town. Lots of movement and ties in this community and all along the I-35 corridor.

It's too bad, even the border towns used to be a fun place to go. Not anymore... every government office/agency and even the military is corrupt. I have many friends/neighbors from Mexico and a lot still have family there. Most wouldn't think of traveling to Mexico at this point. That includes the coastal resorts cities where crime against tourists is at an all time high. Mexico is doomed.

I do not think for a second we should embroil our military/nation in the politics and corruption in Mexico. They are a lost cause and until the citizens of Mexico stand up and fight back, we should keep our hands off. We should just secure our borders because the violence is clearly spilling over our borders. We should bring our troops back from Afghanistan and put them on our borders (at least our Southern border as I still think Canadians are an OK crowd).:D

As far as this "Fast and Furious stuff" goes, I bet AG Holder knew all about it... but of course, that's just my opinion. I also believe our beloved Justice Dept and it's subordinate agencies are currently working in a variety of ways to build a case to restrict <legal> firearms sales in the US. Ultimately, severely crippling our 2A rights.

8. Jul 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I was stationed at San Antonio and Del Rio a few yrs back. All we heard about was how bad the border towns were. It really sucked. I think we should secure that border and fix our immigration policy. Mexico is too corrupt, I'd hate to see more tax dollars just fly away to another shitty country. We've done well in Columbia, but their gov't was willing to put their foot down on the crap. But only after Escobar was killed. Mexico could very easily turn into a modern day version of 70's/80's Columbia.

9. Jul 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    :rofl:

I think it's pretty clear that Mexican law enforcement haven't the means or the desire to fight the cartels.

They are too poor and too under armed to fight back. Their government took all their guns away which is why the cartels have to get them from the US. The Mexican people haven't the means or the desire to fight the cartels.

Just leaving them to fend for themselves is neither the compassionate nor the correct course of action to deal with this problem. We've helped Libyans, Bosnians, Nicaraguans, Iraqi's, Afganistani's, Vietnamese, Chinese(Taiwanese now), Koreans, French, English... and so on. Why not Mexicans?

10. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:17 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    When we don't get involved in another country's affairs, there are only three possible reasons:

1) No money for contractors who are friends of highly placed government officials to make.
    2) No oil.
    3) No Jews.

Mexico's cheap labor is already coming here. The money's being made. No reason for us to get involved as far as the corporate interests see it.

11. Jul 29, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    Sullyman

Sullyman Crusty ole' conservative fart

Member:
    Augusta, Georgia area
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black TRD Sport
    Cat-back exhaust, BluLogic, Back-up Camera, Extang Solid Fold Tonnau cover, Pop-n-Lock PL8521 electronic tailgate lock, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Smittybuilt Nerf Step Bars, Toyota bed mat, Tinted the windows darker, CB with custom fab'd antenna mount, Grillcraft grill, AFE Pro Dry S filter with secondary filter removed. Differential breather relocation mod. Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revo 3 tires Weathertech mats Spec-D HID Halo's Bilstein 5100s front set at 2.5" w/OEM springs 4-leaf TSB w/ SkyJacker add-a-leaf 2" block lift 1.5" wheel spacers Freedom Off-Road upper control arms .5" coil spacers ATOTO A6 Android double-din head unit
    X2!

12. Jul 29, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    PeteH

PeteH Well-Known Member

Member:

You nailed every libtard talking point. Nice regurgitation

13. Jul 29, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    As Will Rogers said

"Be thankfull were not getting all the government we are paying for"

Nothing happens without a reason.

14. Jul 29, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OK, I'm certainly open to ideas--I certainly would prefer Mexico to be stable considering they're our neighbors to the south and I happen to live in a border state (as do you). If you believe our government/military should do something, what course of action would you suggest? If the Mexican government and military is part of the problem, how do we act? How do we support the people in Mexico without declaring war on Mexico itself for the government is riddled with cartel-puppets and other narco enablers.

As for our embroilment with other nation's struggles, infighting, and civil wars, for the most part, I find our involvement to be driven by the elite for power and wealth, unproductive, and frankly none of our business. This includes the current absurdity in Libya. I subscribe to George Washington's warning in his farewell address to our nation when he cautioned us to "beware of foreign entanglements." I believe in non-interventionism. State-sanctioned genocide being the exception where we should intervene for the sake of humanity. I do not believe in nation building, international policing, or generally putting our nose in another nation's affairs. BTW, I believe the U.N. to be a worthless corrupt organization filled with power-brokers and elitists.

L:et me wrap this up as I got off on a tangent: Personally, I love the Mexico I once knew and the people are a good people. As I stated, many of my friends/neighbors are immigrants. But like all oppressed people, they can either go one of two ways: submit or revolt. So I ask again, what is your suggested course of action?

15. Jul 29, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    A 20 foot high wall with gun towers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jim

16. Jul 29, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    ^ for starters...:thumbsup:

17. Jul 29, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    Hold the ph.. I think I got it,Lets annex Mexico & Canada. We can use the Mexicans to drill for oil and take out the timber from Canada and sell them To China to get out of the $ hole we are in. Then when the un bitches we can move them to France and send them a cruse missile with a nuke on it. Jim for Prez...

18. Jul 29, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    rleeharris

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    ^ Now that's a plan I can get behind. Hilarious! :)

19. Jul 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    Im waiting on a PM from a mod right about now.. Jim

20. Jul 29, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    this

:rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top