1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Was Worse: Iran/Contra or Operation ‘Fast and Furious’?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Packman73, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jul 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    I don't disagree with you on any particular point. (Just to be clear, this discussion was meant to be purely academic.) That being said, without giving it a few weeks of serious planning an thought I think that we could do what i had originally considered. Send in the US Army under a UN flag in the name of human rights, just like somalia or bosnia.

I'm not saying that it's necessarily the best course of action. What I am saying is that i think it's better than doing nothing.

No opposed to this idea either. I just wish someone would DO SOMETHING and try it for a decade or so to see if it works before they decide whether it works or not.

This is why we try to keep the military hierarchy and command structure set apart from politicians. (Even if only at a superficial level.) It's helps to free the hands of the admirals and generals and conduct themselves how they see fit by DOING SOMETHING... ANYTHING... as opposed to just sitting around and waiting for a panel of public servants to decide what the "best" course of action is... Which usually leads to idiotic ideas like "project gun runner" and so on.

Opinion alert: Regardless of what "Project gun runner" was "intended" to do IE take our guns away or whatever. It only addressed the side effect and not the problem. The Problem is the Cartel's. Do SOMETHING about them. Send the UN in, or the army, or have the navy launch some cruise missiles at their compounds. DO SOMETHING!!! But do it to the cartels, not US citizens.

2. Jul 29, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I was watching Pierce Morgan last night, he interviewed Vicente Fox (former Mexico President) Fox's idea to stop the border violence was to legalize drugs in the US. It's an interisting idea in theory it might work but I dont think it's practical. He blamed the US for Mexico's problems which I think is bullshit.

I dont know what the solution is but what were doing now isnt working. Mexico needs to get their shit together. Make being an illegal alien, ILLEGAL, have a worker pass for those that want to work, we do need Mexican labor in this counrty.

What's interesting is that Mexico's southern border is on lockdown. They do what they can to keep the Guatamaleans out.

3. Jul 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    I didn't realize the Mexicans had a problem with the guatamalens.

4. Jul 31, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    What's regurgitated? Those are the reasons we get involved in foreign affairs - economics and military posturing. It's called protecting our interests, and it's what every country does. Some of them are allowed to be more naked about doing it because they have nuclear weapons. We happen to be one of those countries.

The distinction of the politics tends to be whether or not you think these things are wrong or right. I don't give half a flying fuck, though your flippant response would suggest that you inferred I think they're wrong. That would be an incorrect inference if in fact it is one you made.

I don't much care *why* those are the incentives that dictate our foreign policy, but they *are* the incentives that dictate our foreign policy. That is plain and simple for anyone who can read and is smart enough to consult actual sources of information rather than those dipshits in the mass media. To claim otherwise is willful ignorance at best, desperation at worst.

Now don't go labeling me in some easy political category, because:

1) Whatever you're thinking you know about my political views, you're wrong. They're much more complex than that.

2) Forum policy prohibits political discussion.

So this post has hopefully been informative for you. Regardless of that, it has put information out there without making a political statement or taking "sides", such as they can exist, in politics. I'm hoping the mods take notice, for convenience, because I'd like to avoid PMs about forum rules I'm already aware of.

Thanks, have a good evening.

The gun tower idea, if tongue in cheek, is actually probably in the top 5 candidates in terms of realistic and practical approaches.

Now, you have to convince the moralists and philosophers who would claim it's wrong to let a country and culture destroy itself because the economics of cocaine are more appealing. My solution for these people and the Mexican drug-violence issue is identical: Live a good distance away and ignore them.

It's an idea with a lot of merit on the economics side. The drug cartels are at war because whoever ships the most drugs makes the most money. If the US government suddenly offered tax breaks to the US private sector to start mass producing popular street drugs and distributing them in a regulated fashion (think alcohol, cigarettes....you know, drugs we have ALREADY legalized), it would be quite easy to price the Mexican cartels right out of the market.

The question then becomes whether or not they would turn to some other illicit activity with a high profit margin. My bet is on yes.

So while legalization would probably stop them from killing one another (and innocent bystanders) over drug money, it probably wouldn't stop them from killing on another (and innocent bystanders) over some damn kind of money.

The idea that the "US is responsible for Mexico's problems" hinges around the fact that we buy most of the drugs these cartels produce. That's accurate. The problem is created because these Mexicans cannot produce something legal with the same risk/reward ratio. If they could make coke-money building and selling couches to Americans, they would. But they can't. Because we make couches here, and they're cheaper. Remember last paragraph?

(disclaimer: the couch analogy is actually inaccurate. We don't make them cheaper here. We make them in China and ship them here, which is cheaper than making them here. The takeaway to remember is that Mexican-made couches don't pay as well as cocaine smuggling if you're a Mexican peasant. Most of you probably knew that already.)

They have it together. Just not the way we would prefer they have it together. By that, I mean that the majority of their law enforcement, government officials, and armed forces are on the payroll or in some other way incentivized or coerced by drug cartels. They're all playing for one team, just not ours.

5. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    A.G. holder to go before the hill. what did he know and when did he know it.. Hope he reads the memo's before he goes. anyone see how quite the news has been on this. whats up with that???:cool: Jim

6. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    We can stop the drug problem in Mexico very, very simply. All we have to do is make closing down the cartels a condition of continued economic relations with Mexico. All the manufacturers using the cheap Mexican labor to produce their products will then put enough pressure on the Mexican government to end the cartels. Money talks.

7. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
  8. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    I've been watching. I hope EH and anyone else that has to do with this is held accountable.

9. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    I think eh is gone but it will take some time & thats as far up as it will go ,too bad!!! Jim

10. Oct 6, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    You're probably right but I'm secretly hoping for an impeachment...

11. Oct 6, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    I hope this happens too, but in the end they will probably weasel out.:(

12. Oct 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    DC Dont work like that too many little dogs to throw under the bus...

13. Oct 6, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

or we could decriminalize here...when the drugs are legalized there would be no incentive to grow huge crops of plants for a minimal profit when they could grow other things...no one would be shot protecting their turf here to sell drugs because you could open a real smoke shop etc

when was the last time that you heard about budwiser and yuengling shooting it out in the street over their turf?? you havent because they are free to sell without government intervention at least since prohibition and that surely didnt work out at all. at the federal level congress has no power to ban any drugs they had to amend the constitution just to ban booze...where is the one that banned drugs?

14. Oct 6, 2011 at 8:32 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    CBS news reporter says White House screamed, swore at her over Fast and Furious​

CBS News investigative journalist Sharyl Attkisson -- who's been covering the scandal from the beginning -- says in an interview on the Laura Ingraham Show today that the White House and Justice Department have taken to screaming at her for reporting on the story.

Read About It:
    The Weekly Standard

Posted:
    10/6/2011 9:16:45 AM

15. Oct 7, 2011 at 5:46 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I wish more coverage would be on this situation, for whatever reason there isnt, which is pretty sad.

I think legalizing weed is one thing, all drugs I'm not sure about. I read somewhere that weed is mostly us grown and most of the Mexican gangs deal with coke. Either way I would like to see something done, the latest of the bodies hanging from the bridge is pretty messed up. And they were just bloggers.

16. Oct 7, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    Pretty sure that you need a license to brew or sell anything alcoholic. (IE pay a tax)

17. Oct 7, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

yes..but i mean intervention as in being forced into a black market...

18. Oct 10, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Looks like this is getting pretty nasty, Eric Holder is expected to be subpoena. I was watching the news this morning and the DOJ rep was basically blaming Bush for everything as typical. Honestly I still don't know all the exact details of this operation or how the druglords got the guns.

19. Oct 11, 2011 at 5:48 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    It going to get good now. The hot oil is being heated..So long eh it been fun but its over for you...

20. Oct 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Holder downplays Fast and Furious as not 'important,' walks out on reporters asking about investigation​

Although several members of Congress have now called on Attorney General Eric Holder to resign over Operation Fast and Furious, he appeared to dismiss the congressional investigation into the program as not "important" when reporters asked about it on Tuesday.

Read About It:
    The Daily Caller

Posted:
    10/12/2011 8:59:50 AM

Products Discussed in

To Top