1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which Winch for Hunting:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elk340, May 12, 2012.

?

Hunting Winch?

Poll closed Jun 11, 2012.
  1. VR8000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. VR8000-s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. VR10000

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. VR10000-s

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. M8000

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. M8000-s

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  7. XD9000

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  8. Smittybilt XRC8

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. May 12, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    elk340

elk340 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Toytec ULK; OME Dakar leaf packs; Light Racing UCAs; OME carrier bearing drop; Toytec 3 degree axle shims; Toytec sway bar relocate kit; Toytec extended rear brake lines; ARE CX topper; BAMF rear differential skid; BAMF LCA skids; BAMF sliders; Budbuilt IFS, mid, transmission, and gas tank skids; HomerTaco mesh; River Rat 69 satoshi grille; Toyota Land Cruiser radiator grille emblem; tinted windows; Toyota all-weather floor mats; Toyota bedmat; I-Pod interface; block heater; ATO hi-lift bed rail mounts; HL-605 Hi-Lift; RotoPax 4-gallon gas can and bed rail mounts; mattgecko sliding window security bar; Sockmonkey decals.
    The XRC8 was definitely in my budget, but I read too many concerning comments about them. It seems people either love and trust them or hate them; however, those that don't trust them seem to save enough money to just buy another should it crap out.

2. May 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    On my 2004 Tacoma, I had the ARB+M8000 (plus a bunch of other stuff, 2" of lift via SAWs, etc.). It was a hunting/fishing rig and doubled for moderate expedition duty. That winch saved my bacon (and my back) several times over the years. But the weight up front, even with a lift, was crazy.

I just picked up my 2012 DCSB a month ago, to the day, and I don't want to load up the front suspension with a ton of weight. I have a CBI Offroad front receiver hitch on order (waiting....waiting...) that sits behind the stock bumper fascia, as well as the CBI winch carrier. My plan is to toss the winch in the truck when I take off to the woods and use it as-needed. An advantage is that I'll have things wires up so I can use it on the front or the rear (factory towing hitch installed) - more options for a pull-through or a pull-back. Plus I can slap a WARN recovery shackle in the front receiver if I want to get pulled out, as opposed to pulling myself out.

There will be pictures and commentary when I actually GET the stuff from CBI and install it all. Deer season isn't that far off. :D

3. May 13, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Toytec ULK; OME Dakar leaf packs; Light Racing UCAs; OME carrier bearing drop; Toytec 3 degree axle shims; Toytec sway bar relocate kit; Toytec extended rear brake lines; ARE CX topper; BAMF rear differential skid; BAMF LCA skids; BAMF sliders; Budbuilt IFS, mid, transmission, and gas tank skids; HomerTaco mesh; River Rat 69 satoshi grille; Toyota Land Cruiser radiator grille emblem; tinted windows; Toyota all-weather floor mats; Toyota bedmat; I-Pod interface; block heater; ATO hi-lift bed rail mounts; HL-605 Hi-Lift; RotoPax 4-gallon gas can and bed rail mounts; mattgecko sliding window security bar; Sockmonkey decals.
    I'll keep my eye out for it. I like the idea of not having all the weight sitting on the front, and then, if I were stuck nose down in a ditch, I could hook up the winch to the rear receiver and pull it out a$$ first. I'll need to look into this!

4. May 13, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

AnotherSilverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    I went with the M8000 and synthetic line because I wanted to use it in a winch cradle and weight is definitely a factor with the winch cradle. You want it light as possible. The CBI hidden hitch is awesome. I can't understand why anyone wouldnt want front and rear winching capabilities. I still haven't bought a lightweight hawse, but that is coming.

Here it is: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/161873-receiver-winch.html

5. May 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    elk340

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for the link! I love what you have going on there. It offers you a lot of flexibility with your pulls and decreases your frontend weight too. Now I really don't know which way to go, ha-ha.

6. May 14, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Hey AST,

What part #'s did you order for the front and rear wiring? Your setup looks nice, and about what I'm looking to do.

7. May 14, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    AnotherSilverTaco

AnotherSilverTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle

Products Discussed in

To Top