1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

which wire is the power for backup lamp

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toycan, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Oct 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    Toycan

Toycan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD S DC Grey
    trifecta tonneau, bed mat, husky liners, TRD shift knob, Kenwood NAV DVD Dbl Din syst, TRD wheel centre caps, aux backup lights
    im putting aux back up lights (navigator by pilot 55w HAL) on and need to tap into the power wire, there are three, green, green with red stripe and white with black stripe (presumably ground?)

thanks for any input

2. Oct 23, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Where are you tapping in at? You should be able to tap in at the taillight just by looking at what wires go into the backup bulb. One of the two will be ground and connected to all the other lights also. The other is reverse positive.

There is a red wire with a white stripe on it located in the driver's kick panel inside the cab. I tapped that for my backup lights and used it to trigger a relay.

3. Oct 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    Toycan

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD S DC Grey
    trifecta tonneau, bed mat, husky liners, TRD shift knob, Kenwood NAV DVD Dbl Din syst, TRD wheel centre caps, aux backup lights
    thanks, want to tap in at light as i dont need a relay according to instructions so dont need to go to front of cab, I'll ground at the rear on the hitch mount or frame somewhere but need to tap into the postive wire near back up buld, undrrstand now from dealer that it is the solid green wire.

thanks for responding and have a great day.......

4. Oct 30, 2011 at 7:14 PM
    Toycan

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD S DC Grey
    DOH! jeez am i stunned, pulled the rt rear tail light out and it is so obvious which one is power to back up lights, all hooked up and bright as day back there when i put it in R!

Products Discussed in

To Top