1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which would you buy? (Looking at 2 Tacos/Pickup)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Buffco, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    Buffco

Buffco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have no idea which forum to post this in, so apologies mods, if this isn't the right one.

Which would you buy?

Both are regular cabs, both 5 speed manual trans, both 4wd. The differences?

First one is a 92 with 82,000 miles, bench seat. Guy is asking 7500 for it. Second one is a 2000, with TRD package, bucket seats, 160,000 miles. 8900 is the asking price on it.

I really, really want the 2000, but I'm scared to death of the frame rust issues. If I understand correctly, this wasn't an issue until AFTER 95, right? Also, the 92 obviously has the 2.4 L 22re, the 2000 has the 2.7 L 3rz.

Lastly, the 92 is local, the 2000 is some 11 hours away. With these few facts, what's you guy's poison, and why?

Many thanks.

2. May 31, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    Zanamoe

Zanamoe Future ruler of the world!

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Off-Road Only
    3" Pro Comp lift kit, Moto Metal black wheels, Pro Comp. Xtreme TA tires, Cobra CB radio with PA, custom rear light bar, rear tailgater deterrent lights, desert whip mount, tinted windows, black headlight mod and blacked fog lights, GrillCraft black mesh grill, Tacoma bed mat, extra d-ring mod, behind grill light bar, hid 700ff Hellas, blacked emblems, Maglite mount, flipped spare, fogs anytime, washable cabin air filter, AFE pro dry airfilter, Redline hood struts, led interior lights, Magnaflow muffler, 18" Stubby antenna
    The 92 with 82k sounds like an amazing truck and sounds like a good deal IMO. Its a well built truck and is close so you can check it out without making it a full day trip. Fully up to you though

3. May 31, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    def the 92 if its in good shape and you can maybe get the price down

less miles, the frame recall isnt there, they look sweeet and the motor is bulletproof, not to mention its so much closer

4. May 31, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    Buffco

Member:
    Lol. I should've guessed what kind of response I'd get in the 1st gen forum. :D

One other thing I failed to mention, a hangup with the 92. The owner is in NO rush to sell. He said he's putting a starter on it, "when he gets around to it" and then he'll give me a call if he decides to sell it.

I don't like being in a position where I want to buy something worse than they want to sell it.

5. May 31, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    bama trd

bama trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Painted Grill with painted Land Cruiser emblem,Tinted Windows, BF Goodrich AT 275/70/17's on 4 Runner SR5 Rims, Bilstein 5100 front and Rear, debadged, fog light on anytime mod,
    Consider the doubled mileage and over $1000 more but.....it sounds like you really want that 2000 model , if you really want it, take the drive and test drive it. Take a friend and a hammer and park it somewhere and go from front to the rear of the frame tapping and looking for bubbles to scratch off , and while your're under it look for oil leaks or any wet spots around the drive train or engine. If you don't feel like the time go for the first one , Good luck

6. May 31, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    The 11 hour road time and the price of the 2000 are a little much so I'd lean towards the 92. It has less miles, has a damn good engine (not that the 3rz isn't), and if you don't like the bench seats then just replace them with buckets from a donor vehicle. Not sure about what options are available for putting a locker in a 92, but I assume that ARB makes one.

7. May 31, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    Jonny22r

Jonny22r KCCO

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Peoria AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SPORT 4x4
    Kings, Methods, blah blah blah
    i may be bias but go with the 22r that motor is bullet proof i just hit 250k last weekend on mine and runs like a champ!!! is it 4x4?

8. May 31, 2011 at 9:38 PM
    Buffco

Member:
    I actually don't care so much about the locker, as I am NOT going to mud this truck. The 4wd will be a "just in case" not a "gotta have it".

The thing that intrigued me about the TRD was the suspension, because I will be hauling a small trailer with a mower on it, and at times some junk. (I own some storage buildings, and people are always vacating and leaving behind their junk that yours truly has to haul off.)

9. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    i think thats too much money for the 92..but i can tell you from personal experience that the motor is AMAZING and bulletproof as hell! great motor.

'00 would be nice as its just new, most likey more comfy, but the rust thing is an issue

Do not be worried about towing, I owned an 86 truck with a 22re in it and i have a lawn business. so i hauled mowers daily and many other things on a 10'X6' trailer. Pulled it all like a champ.

One thing about th 22re is that it might not get you there fast...but it WILL get you there no matter WHAT! drove mine 100 miles with literally NO oil in it...put 3 quarts in for the drive home and replaced the front leaky seal...ran totally fine after lol amazing motor man. id go with the 92 but id try talkin down the price first..but i am bias toward the 22re lol

10. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Like some of the others mentioned, the 92 model is closer and wouldnt hurt to go look at it. The price does seem a little high, but Toyota trucks are selling above book value(ask me how I know?)

The 22re is a good motor. I have an 86 with a 22re motor. Like blackdawg said, it doesnt get in a hurry, but it's rock solid reliable!

11. Jun 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    Where are you located? $7500 for a 92 single cab 4x4 seems high to me too. Understandable that its probably clean and has low miles for its age, but its still really pricey. 22re motors are rock solid though. A buddy of mine tore apart his with 250k+ on it and it still had hash marks on the cylinder walls from the original honing.

12. Jun 1, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    This ^^

That does make it difficult to make "your" deal. :(

And this ^^^ makes me say go for the '92

...but only if you intend to keep the truck and run it 'til it quits. Not sure you'd be able to get your money back out of it. But I still think it's a better deal than the 2000, even at his asking price ... as long as it checks out mechanically....it'd be worth your money to have it checked out by a trust worthy mechanic if your not so inclined/knowledgeable yourself.

My two cents FWIW...Good luck!

13. Jun 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

If your leaning towards it only because of the suspension i say go for the 92. with a 2000 if everything hasn't been replaced you will be doing it soon. So get the 92 and upgrade that suspension to handle what you want to use it for.

14. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    Rust is a problem on every toyota truck. Ever.

15. Jun 1, 2011 at 6:11 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    The only difference between the TRD and non TRD suspension is bilstein shocks in the rear and progressive rate springs and bilstein shocks up front. The leaf springs are the same, which is the major factor in the suspension handling the stuff you will be hauling. Also it sees like the pickups before the tacoma had stronger leaf springs than the tacoma.

X 2 :laugh:

I would go with the 92, it seems like it will fit your needs better

Products Discussed in

To Top