1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

White Leer Shell Coloring

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by SLOsquirrel, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    SLOsquirrel

SLOsquirrel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR 4x4 6-Spd Access Cab
    Icon Mid-Travel w/ Billet UCA's, All-Pro Expo's w/ Icon Resi Shocks, ARB Bumper w/ Warn M8000 Winch, Method NV's w/ 285/75 R17 BFG BFG AT KO2's, TC Gussets (spindle, shock towers, LCA cam tabs, etc), DMZ Engine Mount Gussets.
    I've been looking for a shell for a while now. All used ones on craigslist went quick (had 3 deals fall through) and I had a hard time spending $1800 on a new one (was very close to getting a brand new snugtop rebel).

I finally got my hands on a barely used Leer 100xr last week featuring:

• Solid Glass Rear Window
    • Carpeted Headliner
    • Sliding / Foldown front window
    • Reinforced Roof
    • Roof Rails
    • Yakima Racks (Towers and Crossbars)
    The guy bought it 4 months ago to haul around his 10ft stand up paddle board then ended up getting a smoking deal on a Tundra he couldn't pass up. He sold his Tacoma and the buyer didn't want the shell (which worked out great for me).

I paid $800 and the guy even threw in an aluminum front bull bar (which im likely gonna sell), the Yakima Racks (towers and crossbars), and drove an hour to meet me and cut down on my drive time.

Here is my question / issue. It seems like the shell is almost "whiter" than my truck. I know when it comes to my truck I'm a little anal but has anyone had this same issue?

• My Truck : White 2005 Access Cab TRD OR 4x4
    • His Truck: White 2007 Access Cab Prerunner
    • Shell: White Leer 100 xr (maybe 4 months old)
    My truck wasn't very clean when I put the shell on (still haven't had a chance to wash either), but I do intend to take it off and fully detail it and my truck before putting it back on. Any recommendations on what I could do to make the whites match better?

Here are some pictures

photo 1.jpg
    photo 2.jpg

2. Feb 10, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    SLOsquirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Mid-Travel w/ Billet UCA's, All-Pro Expo's w/ Icon Resi Shocks, ARB Bumper w/ Warn M8000 Winch, Method NV's w/ 285/75 R17 BFG BFG AT KO2's, TC Gussets (spindle, shock towers, LCA cam tabs, etc), DMZ Engine Mount Gussets.
    More Pictures

photo 3.jpg
    photo 4.jpg

3. Feb 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Detail the truck. Wash, claybar, compound and seal or wax. The paint is 2 years newer than yours. I went the other direction, I put a 2005 shell on my 2007 and it matches perfectly (also superwhite).

4. Feb 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    yep,i can tell mine is just a little whiter......no biggy to me though.

5. Feb 10, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    SLOsquirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    My truck is a 2005. His truck was a 2007. But he had just bought the shell in like August of 2011. So I guess the paint is 6 years newer?

I'm pretty sure it's not THAT noticeable probably just to me because it's my baby. I'll probably get a good detail done as listed above, hopefully that''ll help it, and as they age together under the same conditions it'll probably be better.

I was more curious if anyone else had run into this problem, and what they had done to remedy it (if anything).

6. Feb 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    A good detail will help. It will remove the contaminants that have embedded themselves into the clearcoat over the years and hopefully make it match a little better. Aside from that, there's nothing that can be done cheaply to make them match any better.

Products Discussed in

To Top