1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who do you use for suspension installs?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by jmar180, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Sep 2, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    jmar180

jmar180 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma Ltd
    Still new to shocks and suspensions thing and modding in general, and am looking at upgrading the shocks in my 2017 Limited and adding a ~2in lift all around. Looking at either OMEs or Bilsteins with the AAL in the back.

Dumb question, but for these types of installs, who do you guys have doing the work? Are you taking it back to the dealer? A chain tire/shock shop? an independent mechanic? Or are you doing the work yourselves? Also, do you buy the parts yourself and bring them to the mechanic, or just tell the mechanic what you want and have them purchase? Just moved to a new area, so don't have a source for a good independent mechanic who I'd trust to do the work...

Also, while I've never done this type of work before, how difficult would it be to install new shocks on my own? I can rely on youtube university, but feel like shocks are something that need to be done right or risk major damage to the truck. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Sep 2, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    Tacomamike mike

Tacomamike mike Just that, nothing more.

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    Working on it, dissent offroad racks, shift sense pro, pedal commander , ARB twin, rigid SS dually's , dual batteries, ARB fridge , 2.5 Fox coil overs wResi , 2.5 Fox rears w resi Total chaos UCA , deaver packs , Nitto trail grappler's 33" .
    I think you can do this. YouTube maybe find a buddy with some skills add beer and your done !!! Or lone wolf take your time follow instructions your done !!

3. Sep 2, 2017 at 3:44 PM
    kbp810

kbp810 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Au Gres, MI
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    It's really not all that difficult... but if it's something you haven't done before, I would recommend having a buddy or someone there, if even just to help slow you down so you can think things through along the way. Better yet, try to find a local offroad or overland group, you're bound to find someone with experience who's more than willing to lend a hand. Among our local group, we help each other out all the time, even hold wrenching parties. If you do go it alone, you've got youtube, and you've got a great resource here on TW.

If you offroad, doing the work yourself also has the added benefit of learning how it all works. So if something ever goes wrong on the trail, you'll have a better understanding of what you need to do to get it home.

Of course, if you don't have the tools, time, resources, or the patience to do things the right way... nothing wrong with taking it to a shop. I'd try to find a specialized local off road shop.

Tacomamike mike likes this.
  4. Sep 2, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    Tacomamike mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Working on it, dissent offroad racks, shift sense pro, pedal commander , ARB twin, rigid SS dually's , dual batteries, ARB fridge , 2.5 Fox coil overs wResi , 2.5 Fox rears w resi Total chaos UCA , deaver packs , Nitto trail grappler's 33" .
    Lol just the first part :) a buddy or someone :)....like a stranger or an enemy lmao ....I'm sorry I'm sure the rest was sound advice , but the first part just hit me funny !!!!

kbp810[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 2, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    Doogz

Doogz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    2009 MGM AC
    yep..
    If youre motivated and patient, you can easily do it yourself. Especially being a new truck, things should go very smoothly with no rust/seizing. There's a video around here that shows the method of installing shocks without using a spring compressor.

Tacomamike mike likes this.
  6. Sep 2, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    kbp810

kbp810 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Au Gres, MI
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    LOL - sometimes I need to re-read what I've written before hitting that post button!

7. Sep 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM
    jmar180

jmar180 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma Ltd
    Thanks all! You've convinced me to give it a go. Will require some tool purchases as well. Suppose that's a perk of its own, plus will still probably be cheaper than getting a shop to do it.

8. Sep 2, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    Tacomamike mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Tool purchases !!! That's a GD plus :)

Products Discussed in

To Top