1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has painted their mirrors/door handles like a sport?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4X42HEL, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Aug 27, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    This is what I used:

[​IMG]

2. Aug 27, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    what about the indigo blue??? how many coats paint to match

3. Aug 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    OH-MAN, dupli-color like used above is good, I think I used PPG? And yes Bulldog is the adhesion promoter brand, there are others out there I think that one is just the most popular.

The more coats the better to a certain degree... you want to use at least 2 to get the color right, after that you're just building up the layers of paint for durability, I think a happy medium is 3 light coats (light being still full coverage, just not heavy and super wet) and then a heavy gloss coat. Once you get a base coat down the color really isn't going to change after your next coat, the only thing to keep in mind is that your final coat will determine the gloss level. So a heavy last coat is desired, but not so much that it runs or you have to wait for it to dry completely and sand it down :mad:

4. Sep 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    BGrutter

BGrutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    Here's a thought for those like me that are a little uncertain.

I just bought my '10 and it had already been treated to chrome mirror covers and handle covers (Front door, back door, and tailgate). So, I'm thinking about popping them off and paintint them. Worst case (they look like hell), I chuck them and still have my stock set-up. Also, when it comes time to sell, the new owner doesn't have to have the matched look if he/she doesn't like it.

Unfortunately, this doesn't address the Mirror Arm deal, but I think it will at least give me a chance to confirm that I really like and want to move forward without any irrepairable damage << I'm good at that sort of stuff ;)

Thanks for all the help in this thread.

5. Sep 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    How bout the rear doors for a DC? Do I have to remove the door panels?

White AC is super clean looking! Great job :thumbsup:

6. Sep 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    Thanks! as far as the DC goes I'm not sure... you should be able to find a thread about that somewhere. Since you don't have to take off the panels for the fronts which have locks, it wouldn't make sense if you had to take it off for the rear, check to see if there are those same bolt holes on the rear door.

Updated pics.. just finished installing my lift last weekend :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Sep 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Hot damn, looking good, digging that white/red/black. Very one off

8. Sep 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    Thanks dude I really appreciate it!

9. Sep 3, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    By the way I think I spy a Never Summer sticker in your back window!? I could see it just from the thumbnail pics haha My favorite board I've had that I rode for 5 years was an NS, I've got DC park board now but man that Never Summer was my first true love

10. Sep 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought color matched door handles and a color matched grille. Then I bought cheap chrome mirror covers on ebay, sanded and painted with a color matched paint from ebay user "spraycansunlimited".

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Sep 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  12. Sep 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  13. Sep 7, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
    I love Clintons taco, his truck is just getting better and better! Good job man the mirrors look badass.

14. Sep 8, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Yes, rear door panels need to be removed and the plastic lining peeled back such that you can get to the mechanism.

To the OP, I bought an SR5 since I didn't want to pay for the Sport when I only wanted the color-matched stuff. Being a devout Anti-Chomite, I knew over time I could color-match the parts.

Originally I planned to have the door handles and mirrors painted, but I was quoted $250-300 and wasn't too keen on that. But after I changed the grill, got a rear bumper painted, changed the taillights, and bought a set of color-matched door handles, I didn't mind the black mirrors. They matched the window tint pretty well and now I'm good with them being black. I also had concerns over how a painted plastic part like the mirrors would last over time since they take quite a beating being out in the airflow.

15. Sep 8, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I feel the same. After the door handles were replaced I took a second look at the mirrors and with the 35% tint I am okay with the black mirrors.

16. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:01 AM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    Thanks amigo!

17. Nov 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    im wondering about the door handles, and where can i get the door handle protectors

Products Discussed in

To Top