1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who's camper shell/bed leaks?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by GatorBodine, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Nov 16, 2022 at 4:59 PM
    GatorBodine

GatorBodine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    MD
    Vehicle:
    23' 4 cyl.
    Just got a new Leer camper shell and unbeknownst to me I was informed the tacoma's poly/composite bed leaks. The cap dealer informed me at pickup and after the install they siliconed under the bed rail to prevent water getting into the bed. Said Tacoma beds are notorious for leaks. Ok, news to me but this is my first Tacoma. I can see their silicone job and I'm kinda pissed I wasn't informed this would be done. Anywho, first rain last night and water pooled in the front bed corners up by the cab. I see making a silicone mess didn't help. The carpet on the flat mounting rail of the cap was also wet under one of the side windows, first few inches in from the tail gate opening. The truck was not driven in the rain, it sat overnight in it. Little disappointing in my opinion. I'll have to pay attention next rain or wash to see if the cap window is leaking.

EDIT: Couple pics added several replies down

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  2. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:05 PM
    Iwilltaco

Iwilltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    @kairo’s guest house having a water with @not_nick
    Under development
    Where did they silicone that you can see it?

3. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:09 PM
    Anchovy

Anchovy Rule #1: Never take me seriously

Member:
    First Name:
    TRD Ferguson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road (OVTuned)
    Heads up, all caps and beds will leak. You’d have to go overboard on every little crack, hole, crevice, etc. to stop anything from leaking

willee51, SH10151, hiPSI and 2 others like this.
  4. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:14 PM
    GatorBodine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    MD
    Vehicle:
    23' 4 cyl.
    I meant to grab a pic today, will try to remember tomorrow. I can see the silicone in the upper corners inside of the front bed and under the front bed rail cap. The plastic bed cap thats runs parallel with the back of the cab.

5. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:15 PM
    ManInTheMaze

ManInTheMaze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mendo
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2017
    You can always try to find the leaking areas and add more silicone under the inner shell lip and near the bedrail.

6. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:15 PM
    GatorBodine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    MD
    Vehicle:
    23' 4 cyl.
    I kinda figured but at this point mind as well have just left the silicone out then.

7. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:16 PM
    Iwilltaco

Iwilltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    @kairo’s guest house having a water with @not_nick
    Under development
    There are gaps at each front corner that need to be filled, mine were done with more of a black putty, I can’t really notice them. That sounds like an awful lot of leaking for not driving in the rain.

AZ Pete likes this.
  8. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:17 PM
    islandhiker

islandhiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Same thing happens to mine, realistically truck beds werent designed for water tightness.

willee51 likes this.
  9. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:22 PM
    Squirt

Squirt Certified in forklifts and meme stealing =)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat with 3.5L of fury!!
    Rexing front and rear dash camera, some LEDs, Weathertech HP floor liners/vent shades/bug deflector/underseat storage bin, OEM Ford bed mat, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros in selective yellow, Diode Dynamics 18" light bar in amber and universal Carhartt seat covers. Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover. Android Auto USB plug upgrade! H11 to H9. Sound deadened/insulated floors and rear wall. VLED license plate reverse light. Yokohama GO15s. Rokblokz mud flaps. Flowmaster Super 50 Series with stock resonator.
    My cap leaks from the front bed pocket area. I had a window leak a while back. I moved it around to see if it wasn't shut right. That didnt totally work but helped.

Next I looked at the gasket/seal around the window. I just ran and got a pic but what helped reduce the leak was pushing the seal on the outside back where it's supposed to be. I need to do it again but my seal would come off and not seal properly.

GOOD
    20221116_191835.jpg
    BAD
    20221116_191811.jpg

Might not work for you but that's what worked for me. Also to simulate rain spray where it leaks with a garden hose that way you can test stuff that you've done without waiting for rain or snow.

10. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:32 PM
    GatorBodine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    MD
    Vehicle:
    23' 4 cyl.
    I got frameless windows on my cap so I'm assuming its got butyl tape or similar behind the glass. I can live with some water coming in from the bed in places but I'd prefer the carpet lining not get wet. That just promotes mold/mildew and musty smell.

11. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:38 PM
    22Coma6MT

22Coma6MT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport AC 6MT
    from what i experienced and envision, your cap needs to come off. you can make them watertight but, you need to be meticulous.

there is a video somewhere that might help.

after the dealer installed my ARE CX, he informed me afterwards "we" do not do anything to make the cap and bed watertight. WTF. mine leaked under the bed rails and at the front corners. :mad:

i removed the cap along with the side and front bed rail caps, and sealed it with Big Stretch caulk, generously. i also caulked the front bed corners really well. i used clear, it goes on white but dries clear. i replaced the foam sealant on the bottom of the cap, and re-installed. i also installed extra clamps along the sides. so far, i am watertight.

this is at least my fourth cap i have owned on different trucks, and the tacoma is the worst to seal and make watertight because of the composite bed. it can be done though.

12. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:45 PM
    Squirt

Squirt Certified in forklifts and meme stealing =)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Cornfields of Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat with 3.5L of fury!!
    Rexing front and rear dash camera, some LEDs, Weathertech HP floor liners/vent shades/bug deflector/underseat storage bin, OEM Ford bed mat, Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros in selective yellow, Diode Dynamics 18" light bar in amber and universal Carhartt seat covers. Bak Revolver X4S tonneau cover. Android Auto USB plug upgrade! H11 to H9. Sound deadened/insulated floors and rear wall. VLED license plate reverse light. Yokohama GO15s. Rokblokz mud flaps. Flowmaster Super 50 Series with stock resonator.
    Do you have a pic of the window? I don't know what they look like on the inside. Dumb question do your windows open? Maybe try silconing around the perimeter of the window?

13. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:47 PM
    hr206

hr206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRD OR, '98 regular cab 4x4
    I have a Leer 100XL. When I got it, it leaked a bit from one of the front corners, about a cup worth with heavy rain. I took it off this past summer, put in one continuous piece of foam canopy gasket tape with some extra silicone on the front corners and it hasn't leaked yet even with a few days worth of PNW rain a few weeks ago.

On the other hand, I just visited Leer's site to remind myself which canopy I have. $3600? That's crazy.

14. Nov 16, 2022 at 5:55 PM
    Chew

Chew Not so well known user

Member:
    First Name:
    Chewy
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR
    Amazon dog poo bed mat mod
    It’s kind of crappy they told you after the sale,,, especially since they clearly knew.
    Former position at work, I used to get my guys trucks and got to know the guy at the outfitter; their policy was to have the customer sign a document stating they recognize the tops are not water tight, before anything is even ordered. He said this was due to the amount of folks assuming they were, and coming back to complain.

GatorBodine[OP] and Squirt like this.
  15. Nov 16, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    GatorBodine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    MD
    Vehicle:
    23' 4 cyl.
    I got the 100XL also. 3200 dollars

16. Nov 16, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    Brex69

Brex69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock DC LB Off Road
    They leak like a sieve when you drive in the rain. I started with a tailgate seal and Rok Block for the gap between the bed floor and tailgate, then I used butyl tape under the plastic bed rail caps. I tried three different types of foam weatherstrip between the shell and bed all of them leaked, using rubber weatherstrip did the trick.
    I used Flex Seal tape for the front bed corners and all other gaps.
    Then there is the storage cubbies that leak like hell, those gotta be sealed up.
    It took me about a month to find all the leaks but even with a soft top it now stays dry back there.
    One thing I did was wait til it got dark then set some bright ass work lights in the bed and laid under the truck looking for light shining through any holes/gaps.

Kahpo and wisco kid like this.
  17. Nov 16, 2022 at 6:07 PM
    GatorBodine

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    MD
    Vehicle:
    23' 4 cyl.
    First pic is sideways (damn iPhone) but its behind the cab, front of the bed. Second pic is inside the bed upper front corner. Both front corners are caulked that way CAC7AA05-AFCF-401E-A383-7A5DED1CCCD6.jpg 119BC304-F2BF-4704-A52B-6410C9074DA4.jpg

Squirt likes this.
  18. Nov 16, 2022 at 7:19 PM
    hr206

hr206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRD OR, '98 regular cab 4x4
    That's awesome. That's how they siliconed mine. It'll look even better after 6 years outside and it starts to yellow.

That's a HUGE gap you have on the outside front corner. That doesn't look right.

19. Nov 16, 2022 at 7:30 PM
    snickers

snickers My heaping pile of shit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD 4x4 DCSB OR Cement
    At the risk of being THAT guy, I got to be that guy. My Snugtop has never leaked and I take it through automatic washes with high velocity blowers. It's been four years going through rainstorms in multiple trips across the country. Dunno the secret, just saying that not all caps leak. Just countering the obligatory absolutes that appear on TW. What would this forum be without the XXXXX is crap?

20. Nov 16, 2022 at 7:52 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Water can and will come in up front seams and around the tail lights.
    No bed was designed to be waterproof no matter what aftermarket tries to sell you.

Products Discussed in

To Top