1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who's camper shell/bed leaks?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by GatorBodine, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Nov 16, 2022 at 8:11 PM
    AZPhys13

AZPhys13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCLB - MGM
  2. Nov 16, 2022 at 8:21 PM
    Road_Warrior

Road_Warrior There is nothing on my horizon except everything

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black SR5 4x4
    My ARE cap leaks in the same places yours seems to leak. I have a few recent-ish posts about it in my build thread if you’re curious. Long story short, took it back to the dealer. They reinstalled it with more silicon and it still leaks.

3. Nov 16, 2022 at 10:37 PM
    Toycoma2021

Toycoma2021 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California, Temporarily
    Vehicle:
    2021 Access Cab, LB, AT, V6, Off Road
    Most of the comments are not about the actual top leaking, but the truck bed leaking. I also have a Snugtop, it does indeed leak at a replaced window the dealer did, I will be correcting that myself as it is an easy job for me, I guess not an easy job for the dealer. What has not been an easy job is sealing up the composite bed lip at the metal fender due to lack of easy access. I am sealing that with the windshield urethane black stuff, as I did the two front corners before the dealer put the top on. All post in this thread are so far valid.

4. Nov 16, 2022 at 11:12 PM
    muddog321

muddog321 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DCSB 4wd TRD w/e-locker Pyrite Mica
    TW 1-piece driveshaft with 1310 u-joints All Pro and Budbuilt skid plates OME Dakar rear springs 3" with 5100 5100 front set at 1.75" (3rd groove up) with stock springs Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 265/70R16 2018 TRD Offroad wheels 16x7J with +25mm offset Powerstop rotors with Z36 pads and rebuilt with OEM caliper kit Complete rebuilt rear brakes drums, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders Rebuilt rear and all wheel bearings front /rear Yukon 3.73 ring/pinion rebuild Denso 130A rebuilt alternator AGM 24F Battery New OEM idlers and tensioner assembly New AC compressor New PS hose and flushed Walker SS Quiet Flow muffler Denso Iridium long life plugs #3421 (SK20HR11) OEM coolant, cap, and thermostat NAPA CV axles and new seals ECGS bushing Rhino front guard Shortened mud flaps Alziria Black Tail Lights Nilight Headlights X-Bull Traction Boards Maaco full single stage paint job 2023 Nat CV to Knuckle seals 710573 New SKF wheel bearings/hubs BR930978 in 2024
    DrRansom likes this.
  5. Nov 17, 2022 at 4:31 AM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    I swore my side windows were leaking because the carpet liner below the windows would get wet and water would drip down into the bed below the windows.

It turns out that water was running down the "gutter" along the rear window and then wicking in along the carpet at the bottom corners of the rear window.

The solution was to trim the carpeting back and make a dam out of silicone caulking which caused the water to drip down along the sides of the tailgate. I already had weatherstripping on the tailgate to keep that water from getting in. I would say that I'm close to 100% dry now.

6. Nov 17, 2022 at 2:59 PM
    GatorBodine

GatorBodine [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    MD
    Vehicle:
    23' 4 cyl.
    Yes, after further inspection, I believe my wet carpet came from an excess piece of carpet protruding out to the rear window seal and soaked up the water like a sponge.

7. Nov 17, 2022 at 8:21 PM
    Toycoma2021

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Interesting thought about wicking, I've trimmed my excess carpet away because I thought it did not allow the inside clamp ring to compress properly. Now I am glad I did. After completing the one window resealing, I will consider doing the other, as the same dealer replaced both windows as they were both bad from the factory.

8. Jan 16, 2023 at 6:03 PM
    LngBw

LngBw Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB SR5
    For those of you that had their shells/carpet get wet, did it get musty smelling? I just got a 3rd gen Leer 100XR used, and noticed a musty smell. It had been stored under a tarp so I expected it; for $1200 I don't mind cleaning some rust and killing some smell.

The question is: whats a good way to reduce or get rid of the smell? I plan on febreeze, ventilation, and some sort of odor eliminating canisters, but anyone have any tips?

9. Jan 16, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    PTSDTherapy

PTSDTherapy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 SR5 DCSB
    Dehumidifier

10. Jan 17, 2023 at 4:24 AM
    22Coma6MT

22Coma6MT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport AC 6MT
    Mine does not smell and I often get parts of it wet when I wash out the bed with the garden hose. The carpet lining used in canopies does not absorb a lot of water and should dry out without issue. I suppose if you live in an area that gets a lot of rain and the humidity is high, there could be an issue.

A dehumidifier would work as suggested above depending on the outdoor conditions and if you kept the doors and windows closed. Another idea is to use a box fan and circulate air.

I suppose your issue has to do with it being stored under a tarp and I am optimistic you can take a few steps to clean and remove any lingering odor.

11. Jan 24, 2023 at 1:37 PM
    TheProject

TheProject GorillaTaco

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCLB - Midnight Black
    I have ARE CX Classic for about 3-4 months and have had bad leaks almost everywhere.

Shell itself might be leaking by windows since there are few spots right underneath my side windoor where the carpet liner gets soaked, not damp, completely soaked.

Leaks from the two front corner gaps like everybody else. I’ve switched my foam seal to previous mentioned ESI Super Cap Seal on all 3 sides of the shell. Also added more silicon, RTV and then added Butyl Tape on the outside.
    I’m new to all this, so my knowledge level is not that deep. I hope the outside seal helps. I forgot to clean with alcohol wipe before putting the tape on, so I’m just crossing my fingers it will hold up. But then again, it is an easy job to put that on.
    C340EB90-D05E-4EDE-A6D2-6E64BA83B97C.jpg DD9DE51F-2DE4-4A49-BF51-D41CD99ABDF9.jpg

Aside from the shell, the bed issue:
    I get leaks from metal side rail and water pools up on the track rail and drips down… I’ve added added some stuff to seal the bolt threads hoping that helps. I can’t tell if the side caps are the cause or the metal rail itself. I’ve added more seal under the side cap for now.7CEF9EB6-F424-4F96-BE38-9E9B768D1619.jpg

12. Jan 24, 2023 at 1:41 PM
    TheProject

TheProject GorillaTaco

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    I’ve also read someone else added another set of clamps and that helped, so I have on the next step.

13. Jan 24, 2023 at 2:07 PM
    Toycoma2021

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota does not even try to seal the composite bed to the metal fenders, they rely upon the wheel well liners. Didn't notice any problems before I put the top on.
    The leaks from my perspective are the composite bed to the metal fenders, the plastic fender rails to the metal fenders, yes there are a few screw holes too. I get small grit dirt in the bed everywhere without the fender liners, with the fender liners the dirt comes in near the end of the bed.
    I'm trying the urethane windshield sealer, but placing it is very messy.

14. Jan 24, 2023 at 2:16 PM
    Off Topic Guy

Off Topic Guy 2023 Trophy Points - Runner Up

Member:
    I wouldn't recommend windshield urethane for anything other than windshields. But it sounds like you've already made the plunge. Hopefully it works out for you. If you ever need it gone, it'll have to be cut away, surface primed, and repainted.

15. Jan 24, 2023 at 3:04 PM
    Toycoma2021

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All your concerns are correct I will not want it gone. I used butyl tape on the plastic rail caps to the metal fenders to no avail. So I’m looking for permanent.
    Edit: I did use the urethane in the corners to great success.

Off Topic Guy[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 29, 2023 at 8:59 PM
    TheProject

TheProject GorillaTaco

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    It's pouring outside, I'll update on how the added adjustment hold up to this rain tomorrow.

17. Jan 29, 2023 at 10:05 PM
    brian2sun

brian2sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 TRD OR DCSB ‘17 4Runner Limited ‘97 4Runner SR5
    This may help a few people out there if your windoors are leaking….
    Mine started leaking out of the blue on my Snugtop recently. They weren’t leaking last winter, even in heavy rain all night, but after the last heavy rain we got a couple weeks ago, the carpet directly under both windoors was completely soaked and dripping. I checked that all the screws in the window frames were tight and I snugged up a few of them slightly, but none were actually loose, so I don’t think that had anything at all to do with it. But I did notice that the T-handles on my windoors were starting to feel looser over time - definitely not as tight as when the shell was new a year and a half ago. It got me thinking maybe the windoors weren’t making a good seal anymore because of this.

So I checked the little lever arms that make contact with the plates to lock the windoors down, and 3 out of the 4 were just barely even brushing the plates. I put a tiny 6” pipe wrench on the lever/arms and just bent the levers towards the plate a bit more until the T-handles had resistance when turning them to the closed position again. After doing that, I could actually see the windoors suck up against the frame and squish the weather stripping when I turned the handles now. It rained off and on all day today and there was no water at all in the bed and all of the carpet on the shell was totally dry.

18. Jan 29, 2023 at 10:13 PM
    paulisinataco

paulisinataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2022 sr access cab 4x4
    This suggestion maybe too late for most here. I just got my GFC Topper installed Friday. Before the install I took the bed caps off and put aqua seal tape and rtv under the caps. I need to wash the truck in the next couple days but trying to get to some warmer weather.

19. Jan 30, 2023 at 10:02 AM
    TheProject

TheProject GorillaTaco

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Ok, my car was parked overnight and the window leak is getting worse.
    I’m waiting on a window replacement from the dealer, but
    anyone else had this kind of leak issue?
    This morning, I saw water coming in from under the window frame dripping onto carpet and traveling down.
    Now, I’m getting concerned if the window replacement will do anything since I am seeing leak coming from where the window and the carpet meet.
    A328BDEF-EAE4-43A7-8093-0715523F1DDD.jpg

20. Jan 30, 2023 at 12:17 PM
    flakbait

flakbait Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCSB 6MT
    35% Tint, OEM Floor Mats, Bed Lights, Door Sill Protectors, Bed Mat, A/c Drain Mod, Gas Cap Holder, LED Reverse Tail Lights, Pace Edwards Ultragroove Tonneau Cover, Yakima Crossbars, Black "Tacoma" Inserts, Black Emblems, Center Console and Glove Box Organizers, Paint Matched Bumper Caps, Chalk Bag Bottle Holder, OEM Bed Step, OEM Black Housing sr5 Taillights, Diode Dynamics Hitch Pod, Interior LEDs, Footwell Lighting, OEM Remote Tailgate Lock and Plenty More to Come!
    Hi all,

Thought I would add to this since I cannot for the life of me get my Pace Edwards Ultragroove Tonneau Cover to stop leaking at the front of the bed, it is leaking and pooling on top of the fender wells (right in the inserts for 2x4s). Below I have attached a terrible photo with letter explaining what I have tried and so far to no avail...

Tonneau Edge.jpg

A) The header rail leaks underneath - Since this photo I have taken this off the bed and run a line of butyl tape between the bed and header rail, may have helped some.

B) I currently have a piece of thick weather stripping foam that runs across the top of the bed (I have to be able to remove the tonneau canister cover to clear debris from the drains) but I think I will add butyl tape along with the foam.

C) I had weather stripping foam applied here as well, since this photo I filled the gap with butyl tape. Not sure if it has helped.

D) Originally I filled this with outdoor caulk, this did not help. Ended up constantly cleaning water stains from the caulk that never set (was applied a month ago). Removed the caulk completely and replaced with butyl tape folded over and crammed into the crack. I will need to add more butyl tape or resort to the use of black spray foam.

E) Stock bed rail, nothing originally - Since this photo I have also sealed this portion of the bed rail caps with butyl tape.

F) The caulk (pictured) did not work. - I ran the butyl tape I applied at location A (after removing the caulk) all the way across the bed under the header rail and crammed it into the gap F.

I am running out of patience and I want this thing to seal better than it has. I don't know if this bed design by Toyota is to blame or the cover, either way it is super frustrating...

Any input would very thankful and I hope you all find the source and solutions to your leaks!

Hayballer likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top