1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why doesn't Toyota turbo the 1GR-FE?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by myname150, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Kodachrome Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Western Colorado
    05 tacoma, TRD S/C
    TRD S/C, TRD CAI, TRD SS, URD 2.825 pulley, URD MAF cal, Walbro 255, TTC Catch Can, Camburg 2.5 w/ Icon Billet UCA's in front, Icon rear reservoir / Alcan springs in back, Demello sliders, ATC Bobcat with 235 watts of solar
    It's an open deck motor, great for cooling the heads but not for sustained loads under boost. When you have an open deck motor, the cylinders can wobble and compromise the head gaskets like it did on this guy's truck not to mention mine:

Turbo's typically produce more boost than Superchargers and definitely more heat for the intercooler to get rid of since they are exhaust, not belt driven.

The 1GR is a bruly motor, but I don't think it can handle regular loads over 10 PSI of boost without at least upgrading head gaskets, head studs, rods, pistons and a foolproof fuel and timing tune that goes well beyond the realm of stock.

Go hang out on XRU for awhile in the boosted section, over a dozen blown motors due to the possible nature of something's limit being exceeded with otherwise great aftermarket boost goals not taking highly variable and subjective criteria into consideration...

Boost on as they say but prepare to deal with issues of premature wear and having 25-50% less usable engine life depending on how often and how robustly you plant your foot in it.

Personally I am ok with the risk, I need the boost big time in my application, the truck is payed off long ago and I can afford to build a forged 400 HP brute in another 30-50 thousand miles.
  2. Nov 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM

KenLyns Lord of War

May 23, 2010
    Belly of the Beast
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, CBI Sliders, Icon ET Coilovers, aFe Intake, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, All-Pro UCAs, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    Hasn't Toyota been using turbodiesels in Hiluxes for years? I'm sure Toyota knows how to make it reliable. Probably just a cost barrier. Toyota doesn't even want to spend a few pennies to implement dual-VVTi. Why would they consider a more expensive option?
  3. Nov 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    First Name:
    Yorba Linda, CA
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Diesel engines & gas engines are 2 completely different beasts. Diesel are already built tough because they have really high compression ratios.
  4. Feb 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM

AFZ Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    4x4 AC 4.0 TRD OR
    I know this old but there is a lot of bad information in this thread.

That does not mater, Toyota would know well enough to re-spec the engine. New pistons, cams, maybe some rods and a revised ECU tune. I'm not sure how a 4.0l engine would suddenly become gutless either.

Lies. There is no extra "maintenance" with a OEM turbo system. There are no turbo filter changes, or intercooler fluid changes. Performing REGULAR maintenance, maintenance found on any normal car becomes more important, but then again we are just talking about regular oil changes. Many non-performance engine come OEM non-turbo and easily make it to 200k miles or more. Volkswagen, Ford, BMW and others are now pumping out plenty of turbo cars with every intent that they will be low cost to own and last +200k miles.

A lot has changed in 30 years. Turbo technology was in its infancy for many manufactures back in the 80's. Look at all the diesel trucks that are pulling a half-million miles and the dozens of new car models coming out with turbos.

With all that said, I don't think a OEM Turbo 1GR-FE is the solution for Toyota. The engine does all right in gas mileage and the Tacoma is not struggling to make power - right now. A more powerful V6 should be invested in and I do believe Toyota has that in the works.

Dodge has just announced it's 3.0 V6 turbo diesel 1500 Ram and I wold like to think Toyota would eventually get us a I4 Turbo Diesel.
To Top