1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is everyone everywhere afraid of mid-range RPM while towing?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by brtnstrns, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Apr 12, 2020 at 1:09 PM
    brtnstrns

brtnstrns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRDOR DCSB
    As we're all aware, the Tacoma is hugely popular for all the reasons we love it. As a travel trailer owner and daydreamer, I'm constantly reading up on different trailers to figure out what our next one will be and reading opinions on what can be towed by the Tacoma, etc.

I swear like 90% of the people on various forums (not TW) get freaked out and dump their Tacomas for F-150s, Tundras, etc because they think 3000-4000 RPM is some kind of death sentence for engines while pulling 3000-4000lb trailers.

The GT350 I owned preferred to spend hours above 7000 RPM. I get the 3.5 is a Camry engine and isn't some high performance beast so it's basically an apples to oranges comparison, but come on; are the Toyota engines we all expect to last 500,000+ miles really so fragile that a 30 minute climb over a mountain pass every two months or more is going to destroy the thing?

I know Toyota doesn't prioritize towing for the Tacoma, but they've obviously at least taken it into account with the trans cooler, anti-sway, etc. Has anyone ever really killed a Tacoma engine while towing 4000 lbs or less long distance?

It seems people just assume that engines are only meant to be at 15% of their redline at all times and anything higher than that at any point is extremely detrimental.

I'm just looking for a sanity check: am I the ignorant one for trusting that the truck can perform within the limits established by the OEM? Or is everyone else just obscenely paranoid?

\000/, ryanhealy, CanadaToy and 4 others like this.
  2. Apr 12, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Around this form I don’t think anyone is much concerned with higher rpm’s when towing. They are mostly concerned with the weight and size being towed. Most here know you need a little higher rpm’s when towing to keep the tranny from running hot. Too low of rpm’s means the truck is straining and stressing the engine and tranny or if low rpm’s it is continuously hunting gears and over heating the tranny.

3. Apr 12, 2020 at 4:57 PM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Toyota engine that's been detuned for truck duty (compared to IS350 application). Hammer it at redline all day if you want.

Typically if the trailer weighs more than the truck, handling while towing gets uncomfortable. Otherwise no issues. The tow rating per SAE J2807 is performance-based (i.e. the heaviest load the truck can tow while being able to accelerate safely into highway traffic).

Off-roading puts a lot more wear & tear on the truck compared to towing heavy loads, yet 45% of Tacoma owners go off-road, according to Mike Sweers.

4. Apr 12, 2020 at 5:25 PM
    brtnstrns

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that's the impression I get with TW. I try to read the opinions of people on the individual trailer brand's Facebook groups and forums and there's so many people that say they switched to a full size strictly due to the high RPM on inclines. Just seems so extreme when my understanding is that the engines were designed to make use of the entire rev range depending on situation. Sure, you probably shouldn't be spending four hours at 4500 RPM regularly on most engines. But just because you spend a little time in that range doesn't mean you're going to destroy the vehicle.

Exactly. It's just kind of funny how most people that stick with Toyotas do so because of established reliability and knowing they will generally handle anything you throw at them. But then so many of those same people end up coming off as "oh my goodness but I have to be in 3000 RPM to maintain 60 mph uphill! I need to be able to be at 1700 RPM in 8th gear while towing otherwise I'll break something!"

I 100% understand the idea that feeling confident while towing is more important than strictly the data (that's why I moved from a 4Runner to the Tacoma: longer wheelbase gave me a better feeling of confidence while towing even though the 4Runner was probably fine), but there's just so many people that seem to go straight to "oh no you definitely need a full size for a 3000 lb trailer".

Anyway, I don't know exactly where I'm going with this. It was just something I observed while daydreaming and researching and made me feel like I was going insane for being one of the few people not being concerned about spending a little time in the higher RPM range when necessary.

specter208, ryanhealy and TacoManOne like this.
  5. Apr 12, 2020 at 5:52 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    I was never afraid of it, it was just annoying.

6. Apr 12, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    FirsandFire

FirsandFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    No more Taco. A 2500HD and a Bronco sport
    No, it’s just the American thing to do. Come up with an excuse to get the biggest vehicle possible. Like the dodge owners with their tow-mirrors out 24/7 or the duallies on the road without scratches in the trailer hitch from actually having a hitch slid into it.

It’s a lot easier to get a bigger truck and tow below the limit than to actually learn how to load a trailer properly and tow safely. Plus people like to drive 90 miles per hour everywhere they go whether they’re loaded or empty. It’s a shame really.

JNG, Scott4032, huskyhog0317 and 3 others like this.
  7. Apr 12, 2020 at 10:01 PM
    brtnstrns

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    I do always wonder how it seems the trailers that come from the Aussie's are built like military tanks and seemingly weigh as much but almost none of them are using 3/4 ton pickups to tow them around.

TacoManOne likes this.
  8. Apr 13, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    Because it’s freakin irritating at 4 grand. I pull a small trailer, T@b Outback around the US. It’s frequently dropping gears to get power.

lpranger467 and KB Voodoo like this.
  9. Apr 13, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    brtnstrns

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    I can understand if you're doing cross country trips or long-term/full-timing it in which case I'd assume a person wouldn't start from a mid-size truck anyway if that was the intent.

Google says that's a sub 2000lb trailer; kind of shocked you experience dropping gears that much. My NoBo 16.5 is 2900 empty and probably closer to 3500+ with how we travel and Washington is definitely not a flat state, but I don't ever feel like I spend that much time dropping gears. Certainly not to the point where I feel annoyed or that it's working too hard. We've all got our limits of course.

TacoManOne likes this.
  10. Apr 13, 2020 at 3:59 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Mine rev'd insanely with an EMPTY 6' x 12' utility trailer. Did the Tundra mod and solved that problem permanently.

JoeWillie likes this.
  11. Apr 14, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    Close, I’ve got the Boondock model, it’s about 2200 dry. I have a midsize because a full-size isn’t needed for 3000lbs. It’s the way the Tacoma trans is programmed and the engine power power band. My 03 Tacoma Dbcb pulled this trailer around the Eastern US great but I wanted something newer. My sons 09 with 4.0 pulled great when I borrowed for tow testing when thinking new truck. I figured Id stick with Tacoma even after my research. Should have gone used 2015. Next one will be.

12. Apr 14, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    Revving a Toyota engine is something I got used to real quick in the prior truck with the 22R-E. It needed to be 3500+ RPM just to get itself up the passes. It's a traditional American V8 mentality to have such a low torque band that 4000 RPM is considered screaming but seems to me traditionally Toyota engines need to use all of their range of RPM to be effective. Where I start to get worried is when you need to bury the pedal at high RPMs, that's overburdening the engine. Modulating with mid throttle at 3000ish RPM climbing I don't think is unusual, though. I do think having a stick shift makes it more obvious since there's never any gear hunting.

13. Apr 15, 2020 at 1:13 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    I have an 05 Tundra with the 4.0 and 330k miles. The cruising rpm in 6th gear with stock tires is 2600rpms at 65mph. I’m sure the previous owner ran the truck 70-75mph frequently which is 3000rpm range for 330k miles just cruising to work down the highway.

YotaTaco04 likes this.
  14. Apr 16, 2020 at 6:48 AM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    I think this topic would get more traffic in one of the regular forums .

TacoManOne likes this.
  15. Apr 16, 2020 at 5:13 PM
    YotaTaco04

YotaTaco04 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD off road Tacoma
    I think Tacoma’s are way more capable than most people realize. I’ve seen some first gens tow so big boats, and some 4 cylinders even tow a fiberglass boat. In a Ford/ram/ GM product I could see worrying about RPMs but I think people forget we drive a Toyota. It’s built to last.

brtnstrns[OP] and specter208 like this.
  16. Apr 18, 2020 at 3:55 PM
    Super Guest

Super Guest Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The 3.5 tows great above 3000 rpm, like when on a highway. I had a travel trailer around 4k and i had no complaints towing at speed. It's low speeds that are the problem. 15-30mph are when it struggles. Otherwise this truck is a very competent towing vehicle within capacity.

brtnstrns[OP] and specter208 like this.
  17. Apr 21, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    ROAD DOG

ROAD DOG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 I4 WHITE SR PRERUNNER
    FEW

for ANY Marque or model
    any size engine runs BEST in the middle of its torque range

if U r in that range & matters start to degrade
    its time to investigate or park it

' torque peak ' is the MOST efficient filling of the cylinder
    the Strongest firing inside the cylinder ..........

proper air fuel ratio
    sufficient spark
    it simply doesnt get any better

conversely if matters are Not optimum
    matters dont get better anywhere else in the rpm range / engine

of course on bigger engine there is more ' head room ' .......... more torque / Hp
    yet the SAME physics apply

many simply feel better bootong the engine & feeling it in their butt

18. May 16, 2020 at 10:00 PM
    MathGeek

MathGeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver TRD 4x2
    This question and conversation was extremely helpful... I, too, tend to panic at high RPM's not because I doubt my truck but because I don't do it often enough. I just purchased a trailer and will definitely keep this thread in mind when i pick it up. :thumbsup:

specter208 likes this.
  19. May 18, 2020 at 9:35 PM
    Hank_Mille

Hank_Mille Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Limited
    So for a 3rd gen Taco towing around 3,500~ 4,000 lbs, what is an RPM range that WOULD be recommended for freeway driving?

:crapstorm:

20. May 18, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    Sharpish

Sharpish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    2000 rpm on the flats and 5000 rpm up hill :D:D

Products Discussed in