1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why no four-wheel disk breaks?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoBS, May 10, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 5:19 AM
    TacoBS

TacoBS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billyson
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite 4x4 DCLB
    2"/1" spacer/block (for now) Tailgate hoseclamp bedmat mod Marathon covers Weathertech mats
    I was just pondering why Tacomas don't have a four-wheel disk brake option. You see them on virtually all other makes and models of off-road vehicles, including other yotas. Is there some kind of off-roading or towing disadvantage to all-wheel disks that would make designers forego this for our beloved Taco? Longevity maybe? Money?

Just curious if any might have some insight...

2. May 10, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    From what I heard drum brakes give you more stopping power

3. May 10, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    $$$ A lot of features seem to be left off of the Tacoma, even ones that are available on the similar 4Runner. For some reason Toyota doesn't really dress up the Tacoma.

4. May 10, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC
    brakes!

5. May 10, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    because tacoma world hasn't made enough threads on it

:D

6. May 10, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    A drum brake has as much or more stopping power than a disc brake. Where the disc has the advantage is the way it handles heat from repeated use, like in a performance setting. The disc is not as quick to fade.

So unless you are going to be using your Taco at the track having a disc brake in the rear doesn't accomplish anything except to raise the cost of the truck.

7. May 10, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    TacoBS

TacoBS [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billyson
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite 4x4 DCLB
    2"/1" spacer/block (for now) Tailgate hoseclamp bedmat mod Marathon covers Weathertech mats
    Thanks Jim. Honestly had no idea. I know the drums sure last longer, at least they have in all my previous yotas.

8. May 10, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    what are you breaking?

:p

9. May 10, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Maybe the record on repeat threads on a topic??

OP: if you search back a ways, you'll find a lot of posts on this. The best theory seems to be that because emergency brakes on disks don't hold well, heavier vehicles with rear disks add a small drum to be emergency brake. That drives cost way up so they use just the drum.

10. May 10, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    X2 , useless to have a rear disk setup ,except for asthetics.

11. May 10, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    While I don't disagree that rear disks on a heavy vehicle are a pain to designers because of the additional drum for an emergency brake, I don't completely agree they are the same cost to maintain. They are a lot easier than drums to maintain and should be cheaper.

Especially, I disagree with any unqualified assertion that rear drums are better; for reliable, fade-free braking performance disks are always better regardless of location. But drums are 'good enough' on a light suburban pickup like the Tacoma so Toyota can get away with this cost compromise.

12. May 10, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Tacoma gets better braking performance than other midsize pickups.
    Rear drum brakes are cheaper to manufacture than a disc/drum parking brake combo.

To a corporate bean counter at Toyota, do you need other reasons?

13. May 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I am working on a front drum conversion to take advantage of the great benefits of the drum design. :rolleyes:

I have to disagree as to the reason Toyota chooses to use rear drums on Tacomas as a better brake system.

Cost is my guess as disc rears will require a parking brake system incorporated as well.

When in doubt follow the money.

14. May 10, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Just curious, where are you getting the information from? Personally, I think the Tacoma's brakes are horrible. I don't think it's a function of disc vs. drum, I just think they are not set-up very well. I could stop my old full size much quicker than the Tacoma and felt more in control also. The Tacoma always stops but there's always that moment where your heart jumps to your throat because the ABS kicked in too soon and your foot is quickly going to the floor.

15. May 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    i think it's just become a toyota tradition. keep da tacoma brakes ghetto! cheehuuu!

16. May 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I noticed the brakes haven't got really good feel the first few stops on my truck too... but once the binders are warmed a little they are much firmer with good pedal feel. That's typical of some brake compositions.

I also notice ABS kicks in more frequent, but only when one of the (usually rear) wheels starts to lock up. So I wouldn't say 'too soon', as it only kicks in when needed which is a good thing. The question is.. why do the rear wheels lock up so soon? Not enough weight in the back of the Tacoma?

Not really sure but that seems the nature of unloaded pickups in general. I also know that gen 2's and all trucks since they became ABS equipped lack a load-sensing proportioning valve. I think they rely on ABS to do the same function.

Too, maybe Tacoma's have a much greater front weight bias. I do know that the rear brakes have a reputation of outlasting original owners.

If your foot ever goes to the floor, something's broke.

17. May 10, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Ok, my old Ranger stopped better than my Tacoma... Besides, a MIDSIZE pick-up should stop better than something with a higher center of gravity and heavier. Plus, it doesn't excuse the reasons why I said what I did about the brakes regardless of what you compare it against...

18. May 10, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I don't know where people are getting that drums perform better. when I had my Tacoma and was carrying about 800lbs of gear in the bed I felt a significang decrease in braking power that I know the FJ could handle (if it actually space to carry :laugh:). It was actually kinda scary braking with the Tacoma fully loaded and I'm just glad it was on an open desert road.

I just think the Tacoma is such a great selling vehicle that Toyota doesn't have to worry about it too much to push for sales, they come naturally. Hopefully in the fuure they add the 4 wheel discs though because they're definitely awesome

19. May 10, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    30 cents x 150,000 vehicles per year x 7 years

That's how it works in automotive. One supplier comes up with a way to save $5 per dashboard, it gets the title of "supplier of the year" and a big article in the SAE magazine. Toyota is one of the more aggressive Japanese OEMs with cost-cutting. That's why we don't have a locking fuel filler door or locking tailgate. Back in the mid 1990s, when the yen was strong, some Tercels were shipped without a clock.

20. May 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    My personal option is it kicks in too soon and the way it kicks in is borderline dangerous in some cases. I have yet to lock up the rear end when braking heavily plus my back end is heavier than a standard unloaded truck because of the cap, plywood platform and tools (never locked up the rear end before I had the cap either).

Products Discussed in

To Top