1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why no four-wheel disk breaks?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoBS, May 10, 2011.

1. May 11, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Thanks.. picked up a set of Powerstop rotors and pads from AutoParts Warehouse. Not sure if they have the deal still but they offered a package deal of both in one for like $200.00. So far I like them a lot and did notice a bit more stopping power. Definitely no fade with the trailer attached but then again I didn't get any fade with the origionals either. Definitely reduced the amount of brake dust on my front wheels. We'll see how good they wear and if they can come even close to the almost 100k miles I put on the origionals.

2. May 12, 2011 at 7:26 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Time for another let's defend the cheap, outdated, less effective technology?
    Alright then, Yeehaw.
    1. Drums are cheap
    2. If you can't spell brakes, ahh never mind....

If it was intended to be a real truck, and haul heavy loads, and tow, umm 6500#, it should have disc brakes like it's competitor.

3. May 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    How many 'real trucks' (ie. semi tractor-trailors) have disc brakes in back? Drums have more braking surface area, and the back brakes do such a small amount of the work, they often last well over 150,000 miles without wearing out.

4. May 13, 2011 at 4:46 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    My guess would be 'real trucks' (I assume you mean OTR, aka semi's??) use drums because their braking effort is much less (due to self-servoing) and so the pneumatic system that actuates/de-actuates them can be a lot smaller in capacity and operate at lower, safer, pressures.

That said, I also recall reading somewhere that newer 'real trucks' increasingly use disks in back. Would be interesting to understand how many and which kinds/classes of trucks.

No matter how you spin it, I don't think you can escape the fact Toyota puts drums in back on Tacoma 'cause it's an el cheapo truck. Which sucks cause they charge so much for it. But they work just fine so I'll live with it.

5. May 13, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    actually some of the newer semi's equipped with certain european axles have disc brakes as an option. the new Novabus busses that just came down here are equipped with disc brakes on all axles as well. they create significantly less noise and have far greater stopping power than a conventional all drum setup.

6. May 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Semi trucks run air brakes. 120 psi to the air chamber is plenty to actuate disc or drum brakes. Size of the actuator is not an issue as all the air goes through the treadle/foot valve. The air goes through various control valves, abs for one, then on to the brake chambers. The size of the brake chamber and legnth of the torque arm determine the brake force applied and are varied by the type of brakes used.

Semi truck brake force distribution is much differant than pickups. The rear tractor brakes do the most work while towig a trailer. The trailer pushes down on the fifth wheel.

Products Discussed in

To Top