1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why pick 2016 Tacoma DCLB over F150 DC (supercrew)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 007TRUCK, Sep 23, 2015.

?

Vote

1. 2016 F150 DC(supercrew)

137 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. 2016 Tacoma DCLB

217 vote(s)
    61.3%
  1. Nov 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R
  2. Nov 4, 2015 at 11:51 AM
    amxguy1970

amxguy1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Texas
    Haha, I was pointing out you were 1001, my post before yours was 1000, boom....

Tyler

3. Nov 4, 2015 at 2:31 PM
    Derek G

Derek G Well-Known Member

Member:
    Silverton CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DC
    Driven many. Won't fit on the trails where I live. Trust me, I have experience driving very large trucks very fast and in tight quarters. I was an EVOC instructor for 10 years. image.jpg

ChesterTaco likes this.
  4. Nov 4, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Most of the farmers I know drive Ram trucks.
    Especially the cab & chassis rigs.

RedDemolisher likes this.
  5. Nov 4, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    First Taco

First Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Wa
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4by4 4.0
    You don't get it do you? Not that it"s "too" big too handle. It's just too big to want the thing. I have owned many full size trucks! Plus it is still a FORD!

butthurt-everywhere_auto-154207.jpg

Derek G likes this.
  6. Nov 5, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    amxguy1970

amxguy1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Texas
    Reading comprehension > you.... Not sure where the butt hurt is; Ford makes a bad truck?

Tyler

7. Nov 5, 2015 at 2:09 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Don't mind him. He said in another thread that a 4 foot bed was only useful for farmers and lumber trucks.

Because neither of those groups need anything other than 4 foot beds.

8. Jan 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM
    bwonger

bwonger Unknown Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB 4x4 OR Super White
    Still don't have either, but agree it's apples to oranges with many unknowns. After test driving both extensively, the F-150 being a full size is bigger, and roomier inside and out. However, it maneuvers easily and it didn't feel like i was driving a boat. Both 2.7 and 3.5 ecoboost engines pack a lot of punch off the line, which makes sense since the engines are geared toward max torque at 3000 RPM. With tacoma's power at 4600 RPM, it's no wonder the tacoma feels sluggish off the line, but the power's there if you put your foot into it. That being said, you don't need to put your foot into it in order to get the F-150 to move. Toyota really did drop the ball with increasing fuel mileage, i was really hoping for better than a 1 MPG improvement over the previous model. With the F-150, you get a full sized truck with the same or even better than milage than the tacoma.

Turing towards the inside, the F-150 offers a lot more options that make the ride more comfortable. Granted, these are not necessary for a truck but luxuries. However, at 6 foot, i definitely feel cramped in the back of the tacoma while i'm swimming in the f-150. Yes, how often will i be in the back of my truck, but it'd be nice for passengers to be comfortable too. In the end, you can get an F-150 with a lot more amenities for the same price you'd pay for the new taco, especially with the big discounted 2015 F150s. Personally with an f150, I'd probably keep the truck more close to stock, but with a taco, I have list of mods a mile long, thanks to this site. It's a wash between getting an f150 with all the bells and whistles and a taco with mods that will up the cost anyway!

As far as resale value goes, yes the tacoma holds a higher residual value, but when you can get the 2015 ford for $10k off sticker versus 1-2k off for the Tacoma (if you're lucky and live in south carolina), your upside on residual value just disappeared.

Reliability is unknown. Toyota has the better track record, but the gap isn't as big as it used to be. Plenty of ford owners never have an issue and are perfectly happy. Tacomas have frame rust, yada yada yada. While the engine for the tacoma is new for the truck, apparently similar have been used in toyota's suvs. With the f150, we'll see how well the start/stop technology of the 2.7 ecoboost holds out as well as the reliability of engines with turbos in general...any thoughts?

I'll probably end up with a taco, which would be more maneuverable on the trails just because it's smaller in general. Although, if serious about wheeling, wouldn't a rubicon be better? The f150 is probably more truck than i really need for the purposes of a truck and while still maneuverable, the size just doesn't fit in some of the tiny spaces found in city/structure parking.In addition, i'm not lead footed, so the less responsive acceleration of the taco doesn't bother me too much especially when it does have power when you push the pedal. Gas milage? you don't buy a truck for gas mileage and my commute to work is 2 miles.

So basically....Taco is something i want now, F150's maybe something i'll get down the line for the amenities.

TLDR: You can't go wrong with either truck. I'm a taco fanboy and i don't have one yet. :notsure:

RedDemolisher and Sterdog like this.
  9. Jan 24, 2016 at 6:34 PM
    FOXY 367

FOXY 367 " PAIN IS LIFE'S GREATEST TEACHER "

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DC Long Bed TRD Sport 4 X 4
    None
    Buy the Taco and a 12 pack by the time you get home your feel better about both!!!! ( :

10. Jan 24, 2016 at 10:43 PM
    BMWags

BMWags Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    2012 Ford Raptor
    I'll second that. Wintertime especially.
    But on a long road trip..136 liter (32 gal) fuel tank is awesome. 1000kms to a tank

Cavedog likes this.
  11. Jan 25, 2016 at 5:39 AM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 taco Barclona Red
    beather mod Bugsheild backup light mod egr vent
    Get with the 5.0 engine far better than the damn ecoengines. My 2 cent.
    Yet, i am in the hunt to replace my taco this summer. Look back to the full size, last time i had full size was back in 2007. It was a ford. So.. never had much problems until it got to 98000 miles on it.

12. Feb 1, 2016 at 5:58 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I have driven both. The only ones that buy the 5.0 are the ones who can't fathom having a V6 in a full size truck. I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost and I drove a 2015 F150 with the 5.0. The Ecoboost is way more powerful feeling with the torque range so linear. I had a really tough time because I love the growl of a V8. In the end I am a believer. TTFTW.

13. Feb 1, 2016 at 7:13 AM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    I had the 5.4 l engine, its a damn good engine large v6 block. Plenty of power.
    I heard there is some issue with the ecoboost. I got a pal he had the 3.5 without the eco. Plentyof power and torque on it also less gear hunt on it.
    I will be test driving a ford f150, gmc1500, canyon, and the new taco. I will post my opinion on it on a different post soon.
    Heard 50/50 what folls say on the new taco.
    I know some diehard fanboy will have it say but they dont look on the other side of the coin. Everyone has its own opinions on its own way.

14. Feb 1, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    The turbos will hold up fine. Most of the failures on the 3.5L were related to poor oil choices and extended change intervals in high stress applications. At the last place I worked we had several lying around after 250K with no issues but we did our maintenance on a 5 K interval no matter what, all synthetic.

The start stop should be okay too considering that the turbos are water cooled.

Well stated at the end. Most people miss the fact that both are great trucks. I have 2 F150's and a Tacoma in the driveway.

15. Feb 1, 2016 at 7:26 AM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Both of my trucks are the V8. Honestly it's a toss up between the 2.7 and the 5.0 for power and towing. However, the 3.5 L owns. I just couldn't justify waiting around for a 3.5 L though when the V8 was sitting ready to roll on the lot for even less money.

BTW Ford pipes in V8 noises into the cab of the ecoboost trucks. I'm not sure how you missed that. It's hilarious.
    The 5.4 L had a lot more issues than the 5.0 L. The top end of the motor changed to fix most of the VVT related problems.

16. Feb 1, 2016 at 8:30 AM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    Sterdog...
    I had the 5.4, never had a problem until i got 98000 miles on it the the cam sensors went bad on me. Plus one other engine issue started having problem.
    Yeah the 5 l is called the coyote engine. For what i do for living dont need a v8. A good v6 powerplant i need. For getting up and down the hills and light towing.
    A punnty engine that lack the v6 in a truck is not worth it. A truck is a truck where use for more just a daily drives.

17. Feb 1, 2016 at 1:40 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I used to help run a fleet of trucks for a single location of a large Ag company. The 5.4 L had issues where the top end of the engine would sludge up near the VVT sensors and fudge up the entire process. The 5.4 L would then idle hard and sound almost like a diesel. It wouldn't fail but it annoyed the piss out of people. It's pretty well documented online. The 5.4 L and the 5.0 L are both members of Fords modular engine family. Actually, the block of the Ecoboost 3.5 L is also of modular engine lineage. Yes, the name of the new engine is the Coyote, but they are both modular engines and share the same lineage. The biggest difference between the old 5.4 L and the new 5.0 L is a change in the top end related to the cams to make the setup more compact as well as more reliable. That and the displacement of course. If you want to talk Ford engines I could go all day, but the point is I understand the differences and the 5.0 L is basically a very well upgraded and improved 5.4 L engine that was designed to replace it while competing with the LS3.

I'm not sure what a "punnty" engine is. IMHO all of the Ford engines do just fine in the F150. Even the naturally aspirated V6 has it's place for some industrial uses that would put an old retirees platinum 3.5 L Ecoboost to shame. One of my Fords is my work truck. I make a lot of miles in that truck, tow weight wagons with it, and I scout fields. It doesn't have an easy life. Our personal F150 is definitely a "town truck." However, it tows a TT from time to time as well so the engine choice was important. Even my Tacoma used to pull some work duty but with my new company it's been retired into a "toy" truck.

While up hill on a steep grade I would love to trade in for a 3.5 L, the 5.0 L has simplicity and fuel mileage advantages too.

18. Feb 1, 2016 at 7:35 PM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    I like your point of view.. well taken.... I haven't stay touch on the ford since I got the taco back in 2012.. I used to have a chevy 4.8L is was "ok" tend to be punnty then traded in for a 5.3 chevy.. a good truck. I will look in the 5L if have too.. a 3.5l is the idea for me.

19. Feb 2, 2016 at 1:22 AM
    Kumunoy

Kumunoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    I have a 2012 F150 Lariat (Super Crew) with the 6.5' bed in it, 2WD, 5.0L engine. It's a nice truck with nice bells and whistles. It's served us well the last few years as a grocery getter, flea market hauler, and occasional lumber pick up. My two kids, 11 and 6 like the space back there, but they both feel the seats in the back are too hard and very uncomfortable for them (they complain all the time about them). For myself, no matter how I adjust the front seats my back still hurts, and the trip up to Atlanta we took last year was brutal.

I can't say it's a "bad" truck, but it's definitely big, and if I had a boat to pull or something else it would definitely do it with ease. I think my rough measurements came to 20.5' long, and almost 7 feet wide (at the mirrors). The main issue we have with it is that it's just a bit too big, which is why we're looking at a Tacoma. The F150 I have, I can't really go off road with it as the most dirt it's seen is near the state forest by my house on a mile long sandy road... then after that there is signage that states 4WD only beyond this point, and I can't go any further. Most of the time though, it's just me using it as a daily driver with it pulling weekend duty for the family so it sits empty most of the time. For us the Tacoma seems to fit the bill, though I have to admit it's going to be a huge adjustment for us and will definitely require some re-thinking regarding the flea market set up, lumber hauling, etc.

20. Feb 2, 2016 at 5:02 AM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    That's why trailers are a pain in the butt. With full size extra cab truck is worth comes to hauling stuff like lumber.

Products Discussed in

To Top