1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why should I buy a '09 Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ihonzawa, Jul 19, 2009.

?

Which model trim would you prefer if you were on a budget?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2009.
  1. Tacoma Standard Cab w/AC package

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Tacoma Access Cab w/SR5 pacakge

135 vote(s)
    92.5%
  1. Jul 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    "put a sprinkler underneath to clean off all the salt." Thanks for that idea. I was going to pay extra at a car wash to clean the salt off. Should save enough for a 6 pack.

2. Jul 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver Streak Mica Regular Cab 2.7L 4x2
    Planning on a TracRac Pro rack system and HIDs.
    Dat's da hawaii kine way... But now I don't know what type of sprinkler to get... The spinning helicopter one, or the 180 degree sweeping fan... Either way, WalMart should have em. I was just spraying with the hose all this time and never thought to drive over the sprinkler. Oh wait, my Mazda's clearance barely clears my driveway...that's why...

3. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Man, that looks like an excellent price. I didn't know I could buy a Tacoma at Costco. I'm going to check it out just for fun, already have a sr5 for a lot more then that.

4. Jul 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Welcome to TW!

My 05 has 122,900 miles & never a problem. Just brakes,tires,oil, & gas.

I looked at those trucks before buying my Tacoma. They aren't as nice & felt cheaply made. I made the right decision with my Tacoma.

5. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I evaluated the Frontier when I was shopping for a new truck. It was very well matched to the Tacoma, and I even preferred the Frontier for some things (such as the built-in rails on the bed floor for tie-downs).

However, Nissan could not find me a Frontier in stock with the (optional) side air bags. Well, correction, they eventually found one in New Jersey, but that was after I had decided on the Tacoma.

The standard safety features, including the package that includes stability control and brake assist, and the side airbags, and that it has the highest impact safety rating, all combined to tip the scale in favor of the Tacoma.

Aside from the lack of side airbags on almost all Frontiers, they were really very comparable.

6. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    zero niner

zero niner romeo oscar bravo

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    09 DC SB Prerunner
    All Pro front plate bumper, 5100 1.75" Bilstein up front, 1" block and TSB in rear, UWS lowpro tool box, Toyota Side Steps
    Awesome choice! And for the record, before anyone starts wondering what kind of package that it, Hawaii gets their Toyota trucks straight from Japan and do not have the option packages that are listed on the website. It's a little different variation so it's hard for us to compare pricing. Just wanted to throw that out there cause it's not apples to apples if we compare pricing and packages.

Anyways! Congrats, and keep active on this forum when you have more questions!

Aloha,

Rob

7. Jul 19, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    Arcanite09

Arcanite09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nico
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD
    Alpine 9887, CDT HD-62Z fronts powered by Phoenix Gold ZX450 and Polk MMC650 rearpowered by MTX 2150x. Premier TS-SW1201S4 sub powered by SOUNDSTREAM Class A 10.0
    Have you tried Edmunds.com too? I use a print out from there to help @ the stealership.

8. Jul 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

Yes I agree Edmunds.com You never have to much leverage.

9. Jul 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    You should buy a taco because stealing one will land you in jail... LOL

10. Jul 20, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    I just didn't like the feel of the Frontier. It was like the Tacoma was cream, and the Frontier was 80 proof in terms of noise, harshness, ride and button feel.

11. Jul 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Well, bad news. For some strange reason, he decided to go with a Honda Fit... Don't ask me why... He said he got $1000 more from the rebate if he went with a more fuel efficient car. Which doesn't make sense as we already have a Prius and my sister's Corolla. Plus I have my Mazda3. So we'll have a total of 4 4dr sedans and nothing else. If you ask me, it would make sense to have at least one utility vehicle and we can carry passengers in the damn 4 doors... You can't carry a refrigerator in a Prius hatch... We can't take the tree trimmings in the Corolla's trunk. And there is no way in hell I am carrying the construction scraps in my 3...

Sometimes cheapest isn't the best...
    Anyway... Sorry mates...

12. Jul 20, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I've been a member of ClubFrontier for awhile now and have not noticed many issues with the 2nd gen Frontiers. All in all they are built pretty well. However my last experience with Nissan was shit and because of that I wouldn't buy a Frontier. My Taco is exactly the way I feel a truck should be.

13. Jul 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    ouch a fit....bummer

14. Jul 20, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    bigyetti

bigyetti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    asheville, nc
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 short bed
    sirius satilite radio, more on the way when i get more money. oh ya removed the secondary filter
    congrats on the truck hell love it and welcome to uor little fly trap of heaven online, enjoy

15. Jul 20, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Umm....he bought a Fit, not a Taco.

16. Jul 20, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

have him look at this poll!

17. Jul 20, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I'm in Maui right now lol. Still getting used to the time change. There are so many damn tacomas here. Literally every 10 cars or so I saw a tacoma. Get the taco.

18. Jul 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    ihonzawa

ihonzawa [OP] Member

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I dunno if it's because about all Japanese families here buy Toyota...but Hawaii loves their Toyotas... Living in Seattle kinda put things in perspective for me. As well as myself, the Toyotas were the minority compared to all of the oh wait, everyone had Subaru Outbacks in Seattle...

But yeah, I can't believe after all of my convincing, that even got him to select his SR5 package and request a quote...to... deciding he wanted a ultra-compact car... I dunno.

I'm gonna keep feeding the Tacoma in the background... Some Top Gear should do the trick. The ever so resilient Hilux...faced the odds and proved to be the most indestructible truck out there... And maybe some articles on how the Tacoma is used by US Special Forces in Afghanistan with the only modified parts including a M249/M240B mount, audio deck delete, indicator lights and chimes delete, and IR headlights...

It hurts when all of your neighbors OWN A PRERUNNER...and they are all silver. Not to mention about nearly all of my friends or their family own a Tacoma... Oh, don't forget the relatives... Sigh... Maybe I'll sell my Mazda3...

19. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    Longboard0302

Longboard0302 Member

Member:
    Doha, Qatar
    Vehicle:
    Don't own one yet
    I think the biggest arguement is the build quality of the Tacoma vs. the Nissan. Saw on web recently (but couldn't find the lnk) that Tacoma was rated 9 on a 1 - 10 scale and Frontier was rated at a 6. That's a big defference..

20. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:37 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    In my opinion, they are very very, close in build quality. I don't think you could go wrong with either Nissan or Toyota.

Products Discussed in

To Top