1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why the "D-shaped" throttle body gasket?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Beau02, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jan 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    Beau02

Beau02 [OP] Black Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Limited TRD V6 Auto (234k+, 1-owner)
    Lots of small stuff; Grillcraft MX, Bilstein 5100's, Deck Plate Mod w/ AFE air filter, Airaid MIT, braided SS brake lines, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT hood struts, Extang Full-Tilt tonneau cover, fog light mod, gray wire mod, power outlets on-demand, Diff breather ext, additional contours to passenger side from oak tree.
    Does anybody know why the 3.4L 5VZFE engine has a D-shaped throttle body gasket when both the throttle body and intake manifold have matching, round bores? I've heard different speculation and theories, but none of them stands out or sounds valid to me?

Blindly assuming the O-Shaped gasket would provide better airflow, and therefore power I swapped mine out this weekend. Now that I'm thinking about it more I'm wondering if I might possibly see worse gas mileage as a result of the MAF sensor picking up more airflow and increasing the fuel injection rate even if without changing my driving style?

2. Jan 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner

Products Discussed in

To Top