1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why the hell does my Laptop always run sooo hot?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by RelentlessFab, May 25, 2010.

1. May 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    Dunno man, i said it twice! ;) Go shut that bitch down and give it a shot!

2. May 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    asshole. :D

3. May 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Keep it around 80 PSI.....I used mine on my old desktop at 150psi and it blew parts off the motherboard! :(

4. May 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab [OP] Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    eye-eye captain!
    :laugh:
    X2! ;)
    :eek: I'll keep that in mind!

5. May 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    meh. i say go to town on the damn thing. it worked for me. what could possibly go wrong??! :D

6. May 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    not hard at all! Nothing could ever go wrong ever with anything i advise. I = sure shot.

7. May 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    I'm baaack! :D
    Removed all the easy little panels on the bottom and blew it out. Got a decent puff of dust out of it(also realized its actually the HDD thats under my hand). We'll see how things go with it now....

8. May 25, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    You sure the laugh wasn't due too your pants being unzipped :devil:

9. May 25, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    jdshockman

jdshockman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    juan
    ZIRIMICUARO,MICHOACAN,MEXICO
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD
    stock
    hey i was having the same problem on my laptop running windows vista x64. I switched over to Linux ubuntu as my OS and runs much cooler. i think its the OS that consumes all the power on the system and causes the processor(s), hard drive and every thing to heat up.

10. May 25, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Yes and no. Your typical windows system runs a lot of unnecessary background processes. Most linux systems don't have that issue. I use Fedora myself. :)

The heat difference between operating systems is due to the load put on the processor. All your relatively new processors have a dynamic clocking system to save power. The more load you put on the cpu, the closer they get to full clock speed. Hence the faster they produce speed.

So basically, load=heat

Cleaning your heatsinks is definitely the first thing to do. Then you want to adjust setting for both your cpu and video card. Usually on wall power your cpu will go to full power, adjust that down a notch or two. Your computer will run slower, but also cooler. This is the easy way to under clock your cpu.

Then you'll want to do something else already mentioned here. Run your antiviral with it's most thorough setting. Then your anti-adware/spyware program. Then you'll want to run a registry cleaner.

Once that's all done, take a look at what programs you have setup to run at startup. If you don't need them, then turn them off. You'll also want to do a little research online as to what windows services you can shutoff.

Here's a decent article on some basic stuff you can do. I haven't used windows 7 yet, so I can't really tell you what you can and cannot shut off. Looking at speed optimization articles is a good idea as most of them will tell you how to reduce your system load.

11. May 26, 2010 at 12:00 AM
    LTech221

LTech221 Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    Traded the taco :(
    There is an issue with HP DV2000, 6000, 9000 laptops with the AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU. Make sure you have the latest bios for your machine as the original bios did not allow for the fan to get faster as it got hotter. Also there was an issue with bad solder joints: symptoms include non working wifi card, blank screen but the system lights up as normal. There was a a recall or Service enhancement http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us
    Ive serviced hundreds of these machines when I worked at Circuit City as a PC technician. HP would essentially replace the entire motherboard with a supposed fixed version (seen many that failed 2-3x after official repair). But best would be to make sure the bios is updated (just look at the drivers and downloads page @ HP), dust it out with compressed air, and keep it on a flat surface / cooling tablet.

12. May 26, 2010 at 12:04 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I can almost guarantee its because of your AMD, they typically run alot hotter than Intel CPU's, you could try taking off the CPU cooler fan & re-apply some artic silver to the top of CPU & replace the fan(after blowing out any dust,fuzz, etc;......good luck:cool:

13. May 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    LTech221

LTech221 Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    Traded the taco :(
    Forgot to add http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035657.pdf
    Full service manual on how to remove everypart etc. If you are up to it what 4WD said is right about applying thermal grease. I know what HP put on the heatsink isn't that great and sometimes not even touching the surface of the cpu :eek:

14. May 26, 2010 at 12:14 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the further recommendations guys, especially Ltech. After blowing everything out its been running quite a bit cooler, but I'll look into the other things listed as well. :)

15. May 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Laptop to hot ??? Maybe to much umm...:jerkoff:

16. May 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    so that makes you pretty much a female right hahahahahaha:p

17. May 26, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    how much crap came out? Mine was a dust storm

18. May 26, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    Toy_Yota

Toy_Yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 dcsb Trd off-road 4x4 MT
    There was an article on msn the other day saying that HP was recalling like 54,000 batteries from laptops bought between Aug. 2007 and June 2008. Something about the batteries getting too hot and exploding. Not sure if that could be it. Ill try to find the article.

Here's the link: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10240.html

19. May 26, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Definitely blow out the laptop. Make sure to get the vents on the sides and bottom very well. If the area around your hard drive is very hot, maybe you have a lot of programs open (or in the taskbar) that are accessing the hdd constantly.
    My mother in law was complaining that her computer was running slow and hot so I took a look at it for her. Turns out she was running Norton Antivirus and McAffee AV at the same time so they were constantly pegging the hard drive access.
    I removed both and installed the free Microsoft AV. She was amazed how much quicker and cooler it was after that.
    So it could be a program or even a virus or malware that's eating away at your performance. Also do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and open the task manager and browse through your running processes. Look to see if the processor is being used in large amounts by processes other than System Idle process. If there are, those programs could be the culprits too.

20. May 26, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i got one of these. http://www.xpad4laptop.com/

stay away from laptop coolers with fans, these will drain your battery if they use the USB for power, and make it run hotter. also your laptop is designed for airflow a fan will fuck that up.

Products Discussed in

To Top