1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wilco Offroad Totally Sucks Now That It's been Sold

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Dansnare, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Jul 25, 2018 at 11:15 AM
    Dansnare

Dansnare [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X Baja
    Wow! Wilco Offroad has really gone down hill since it got sold. The new owner Brad Grisham is really, really terrible. He has no concept of what it means to stand by a customer, and his employee Jake is completely ineffectual.

I'll be sure to never buy their products again.

2. Jul 25, 2018 at 12:04 PM
    ChemDawg

ChemDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    If you exsplain your side, we might understand what you are talking about..
    More specific than "Really,really terrible":thumbsup:

Dansnare[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 25, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    Sociopenguin

Sociopenguin 2 Fang Engineering

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    NW MO
    Vehicle:
    DevilPenguin
    Schtuff
    Well, this isn't surprising. Had a terrible experience with them recently, but disputed the charge and got our money back.
    Never received any product or communication at all. It's too bad to hear....

4. Jul 25, 2018 at 2:05 PM
    Dansnare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X Baja
    It’s a very long detailed story that probably can’t be fully reproduced here but here, at least, is the basic gist:

I wanted to order a Hitchgate Solo with various accessories. The vendor I chose, Leonard Accessories, did not have everything I needed, so I decided to place two orders – one of which included the main item from Leonard (who are great BTW, thanks Victoria!) and the other accessories directly from Wilco.

Because Wilco makes it clear that there is a 3-4 week lead time on the Hitchgate products, I made sure I placed the Wilco order for the accessories well in advance (at least a week earlier), so I’d have them when the main unit arrived from Leonard. I placed the direct Wilco order in late June. I placed the Leonard order first week of July and waited. So far, so good.

On July 16 I learn that the main (Leonard) order would arrive the next day. I then realize that the Wilco accessories order never arrived. I call Wilco to find out what’s going on with my order, and I speak with Jake. He says something like, oh yeah we’re out of those. I asked why I never got any notification that they were out of them (I would have had plenty of time to locate them elsewhere). Jake basically said something to the effect of, yeah I guess we should have told you that.

I express how upset I am that they totally left me hanging, as the main order is about to arrive the next day. Jake puts me on hold. He comes back and one item magically appeared, and the other he’ll order elsewhere. I ask Jake if they can get them to me overnight so they’ll arrive when the rest of the stuff arrives. He puts me on hold. At first he says no it’s too expensive (at least for one of them), but then he goes back and gets the ok.

I get tracking info from Jake. The next day, one item arrives. The other does not. I check to see if it’s arriving, and the UPS website has no departure or arrival scans and no indication that it ever went anywhere. I call UPS, and they say they never got it. I tell Jake, but he insists that it will arrive that day. I assure him that it will not, but I stay at my office until the 8:00 p.m. delivery cutoff anyway. Of course it did not arrive.

To cut to the chase, this went on for several days. I tried over and over to make it clear to Jake that the order was not going to arrive. He kept insisting that it was. Of course it didn’t. He kept making excuses and saying its coming “tomorrow.” It wasn’t. This went on for several days, each time Jake insisting that it will arrive and me assuring him (correctly) that it would not. I asked him to please just send another one in its place. Each time, he refused to send another one, insisting that the original one would arrive the next day, and of course each time the item did not arrive when he said it would. He agreed not to charge me for the item, but that really wouldn’t help if I never got it. (I’ve abbreviated this considerably and left out some of the most aggravating stuff.)

Bottom line: Obviously, I ended up having to get it elsewhere, after wasting an enormous amount of time with Jake, UPS, and others. I cannot afford such a waste of time. The item he had originally tried to send overnight finally arrived a week after it was supposed to arrive and, get this, it was the wrong item anyway, after all that.

I asked the new owner to call. Brad called me and was utterly unsympathetic, mainly just making excuses.

I don’t know about you guys, but in my business I cannot just leave my clients hanging and flailing about in the wind. I have to make sure they are taken care of, and if something goes wrong, I have to be relentless in fixing it or I’d have no clients.

Jake was ineffectual and simply didn’t take the obligations to the customer seriously. If it had been me, and I learned that I had not notified the customer that we were out of stock, I would have been mortified, and I would have moved heaven and earth to make sure it got fixed, and I would not have rested until it was complete and the item was in the customer’s hands. That’s how I do business, and I guess that’s what I expect of others I do business with as well. Maybe it’s unreasonable of me to expect high quality treatment from others. There were so many different way to fix this, and Jake chose the absolute worst and weakest approach.

And Brad’s utter indifference was disgraceful, and him being the new owner, it is a sure sign that I never want to deal with them or their products again.

ChemDawg likes this.
  5. Jul 25, 2018 at 2:10 PM
    Captainskidmark

Captainskidmark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 TRD SPORT DCLB ~ Black
    ECGS 4.56 gears with Detroit True Trac in the rear. Camburg Ball Joint UCAs Dirt King LCA Dobinson IMS rear shocks Dobinson IMS w/ 352 coils DAKAR EL096 HD LEAFS AR172 17"x8" BAJA RIMS (5 wheel/tire rotation) GX470 Front Brake Upgrade SS extended brake lines Front and Rear (Toytec) 285/70/17 BFG A/T Toyota Roof Rack over Cab A.R.E. Z series CAP with Rhino Rack rooftop rails , -RED/WHITE LED BED LIGHTING -12V AUX POWER AND USB MAGNAFLOW CAT BACK RAAMmat Sound Abatement Pioneer AVH-2440NEX w/ Android Auto + Morel Speakers 120 VAC Block Heater Pelfreybilt Front/Mid Skids ATH Bed Braces ATH FRONT BUMPER - FULL LOOP BAJA DESIGNS FOGS HERETIC 20" LIGHT BAR ATH REAR BUMPER - STANDARD RIGID FLUSH MOUNT REVERSE LIGHTS Weathertech floor mats Rear Diff Breather Mod Wheeler's Super Bumps + Ubolt Flip Kit ABS Kill Switch Mod Northstar AGM Battery Pedal Commander Desert Does It Seat Spacers
    Thinkin' Jake was the khaki wearing type....

Hereticstudio likes this.
  6. Jul 25, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    It does seem this place is going in the toilet, the guy Erik I used to deal with was awesome. He left a while ago, and since then it has gone to shit. Sorry you are going through this, wish there was more I could do for you. I used to have a great relationship with them, but now even my emails go unanswered.

Dansnare[OP] likes this.
  7. Jul 25, 2018 at 2:49 PM
    Dansnare

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X Baja
    The hero in this, BTW, is Victoria at Leonard Accessories. She ended up getting the thing for me, and she's a real problem solver - a pro!

8. Sep 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
  9. Sep 10, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Not sure why this thread was just brought back to life.... but i heard similar things on InstaGram about Wilco. I however have had the opposite experience. Less than a month ago i contacted Wilco about needing some replacement bushings for my MAX. They were sent to me free of charge with no issue. I have had very good luck with Wilco so hopefully they Continue to improve as the new owner learns.

10. Sep 10, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    I have had to contact them many times for people on this forum due to crappy Customer Service, etc. Hopefully they get their shit squared away. I no longer recommend them on here as the awesome guy I dealt with Erik left a while ago. I used to rep for them, give a discount code. Now I could care less if anybody but from them. There are other places out there that carry their stuff that actually care about Customers.

11. Mar 18, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    panzer716

panzer716 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Calvary Blue Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    Pro Grill Swap, Leitner Designs ACS, KTJO 4x4 Pop Lock Tailgate Kit, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Meso Gashole.
    Glad I saw this. I was between these guys and Leitner for a bed rack. Looks like I will be taking these guys off the table...

Cheftaco likes this.
  12. Aug 25, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    Cheftaco

Cheftaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd super white off road access cab
    Ads 2.5 coil overs front and rear 255/85-16 Decked drawers Leitner roof rack
    Leitner all the way.

Products Discussed in

To Top