1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will DIY HID Install void warranty?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by valleyheat, May 15, 2011.

1. May 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    valleyheat

valleyheat [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Northridge, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    Wondering if anyone would know the answer to this question, if its able to be answered at all.

After installing the slim cubby HID kit, my alternator died out. Got it replaced yesterday and 30 miles later, the alternator seemed to die again and the new battery died. Im thinking something in the HID wiring caused the short. The mechanic stated the engine bay looked like I went offroading and that couldve got water into the alternator.

My dilemma at this time is whether to get it towed to the dealership. Im 50 miles away from the dealership and they are telling me that if the issue is not covered under warranty, I must pay for the tow.
    Obviously something is killing my alternator but im worried im gonna get stuck with towing charges and parts and labor if they try to pin the issue to the HID install or the dirty engine bay (I did not go offroad at all though).

Any suggestions anyone could provide?

2. May 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    well think of it this way, do you think the alternator doesnt get wet driving doown the road in a rain storm?

3. May 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    valleyheat

Member:
    Northridge, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    im wondering if i ground the red battery wire improperly. I was told I could wire it to a spot on the fuse rather than the battery itself. Problem is I can rewire or remove the HID's as im stuck at a ski resort.

Might have to just leave my car here and come back in a week to take the HIDs off before I get it towed to the stealership..

4. May 15, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Gosh, that gave me a headache... ground the red wire to a fuse? I'm hoping your terminology is wrong.

The black (typically) is ground - ie, to the frame somewhere. The red, if it's supplying power, comes off a relay, not the fuse directly, or via the battery directly.

If you wired the HID's improperly, you certainly could drain the battery... I think. I'm not an electrician, but I've wired 5 pairs of aux lamps.

5. May 15, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    valleyheat

Member:
    Northridge, CA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    maybe my terminology is wrong.. its not a fuse, but within the fuse box a spot where I was told is the same as the positive on the battery.
    Should I just rewire that wire to the battery and then call toyota or should i be safe and just put all the stock lights back on first?

thx for all the help guys..

6. May 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    In this case, took the HID kit out, put the OEM light back on, only take about half hours.
    Therefore your dealership will not bitching any stuff that you add casue the problem.

The HID kit that you have in most case, the red hook up to the battery+, black hook up to the body ground (or hook up directly to the battery -)
    I wish you luck with the fix.

7. May 17, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    ditto.

Then putz around the lighting section for a while. There's a bunch of decent threads on how to wire in a light.

I've never done HIDs, but I assume it's the same - power cord, ground and some sort of on/off switch. Running off the battery directly isn't really suggested (go through a relay). I've never tried going through a fuse for the power, but maybe someone can help you there. I have, however, put the on/off switch to the relay into a fuse box - probably wouldn't do that if these are your headlights.

Products Discussed in

To Top