1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

will this lift work out?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by brian2010, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Apr 5, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    brian2010

brian2010 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4X4 Double Cab Long Bed
    Scanguage.....i'm working on more lol
    On my 2010 double cab TRD, I have been trying to figure out how to lift it. I think I am settled on a 3'' lift, because I don't want to change out the control arm, etc....that is where it gets expensive.
    As a disclaimer, I am reaserching all this from Iraq...so I don't have access to my truck and I am trying to build all this in my head and make sure it works. I am going to get home, do the measurements and place the order ASAP. I do however, drive a Toyota Hilux Diesel 4X4 while I am here....so you all can hate me for that.
    I think I should go with 3'' coilovers for the front. I have been reading and a lot of people favor the Bilstien 5100 setup.
    For the rear I was thinking Alcan custom leaf packs and Bilstien 5100 struts.
    Is there anything else I need to be thinking about (other then my new wheels, tires, and alignment) to make a 3'' lift work? And, in te future, how easy is it to build on a current lift i.e. buy spacers and AAL etc or would I need to strip it all down and buy something new.
    Also, will 33's fit on a 3'' lift?

2. Apr 5, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    The lift you are speaking of is fine. You will have to trim some to fit 33's. Also note you will not get a very good alignment with stock UCA's. I kept my stock ones for a while but then switched to Total Chaos UCA's. I like the Old Man Emu lifts from Toytec. Since you are researching I would look to toytec they offer both kits.

Oh and thank you very much for serving our country, it is appreciated.

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    10silvertaco

10silvertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Vehicle:
    no longer own Tacoma, now own 2011 Outback
    I got my truck lift last Friday. 3" Coil in the front and 2" block in the back. Nothing else. Alignment is fine. Shock and Tires are still stock. I love it and had no problems. That is the cheaper and I don't have to worry about pay anything else.

Thank you for serving our country. GO USA!

4. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    brian2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    ok, so now I have no idea what brand to go with. I still am settled on Coilovers for the front and leaf packs for the rear.
    Some people swear I will need UCA's...so the jury is still out on that. If i get them they will be Total Chaos UCA's.
    I also see a lot of talk about the CV's wearing out. Is there a way to correct for the angle issues on this?

5. Apr 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    How much wheeling do you do? That will make a big difference in how much wear will be on the CV's as well as the ball joints. I ran my stock UCA's for a while without any issues, as well as did some rock crawling again no issues. I just wanted to get a better alignment and allow my ball joint to breath easier. You will either way have to cut some plastic if you go with larger than stock tires. Get you a good coilover (any of the above is fine) and leaf pack and have fun. If your sticking to the road mainly with some offroading get the lift of your choice with rims and tires most likely. Trim the plastic and see how you like the ride, the alignment won't be perfect but no big issue. Then if it bothers you or you have issues get some UCA's you'll have time. Oh and maybe look into getting the Diff drop, rear shim, and other shims to be on the safe side. They aren't expensive and would beat having to wait for them if you experience some drive line vibrations after your lift. They only take minutes to install when doing the lift.

6. Apr 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    brian2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    so the shims are for the driveshaft? I understand the differential drop takes care of the CV issue, correct?
    I am planning on doing mostly light 4-wheeling. Hitting the trails. I am not doing anything crazy like rock crawling, etc. I am looking for this to be more of a functional/practical 4-wheel drive truck rather than a totally recreational vehicle.

7. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    Tacofanatic05'

Tacofanatic05' #1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Waynesville/Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    05' Tacoma 4x4 sr5, 3 Inch lift
    16'' American Racing wheels, 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer St tires, Bilstein 5100 w/eibach coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Super 44, 1 in 2 out exhaust. Tractor Supply Tool Box, No Mud Flaps, Mossy Oak Seat Covers, Oakley Decals, Hoyt Decal, Window tint 20% on sides 5% on top front windshield, Uniden Cb, and Window Deflectors.
    Im pretty sure what you wanna do will work! But you will need to trim a little to fit those 33's! O well it looks 100% better with 33's so its worth it!

8. Apr 12, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    brian2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon coilovers dialed to 3''. Dakar leaf pack, which are 2.5''. Probably just go icon for the rear struts as well. I am also going to install the differential drop, and get new TC UCA's. With the 3'' up front, and the 2.5'' in the back, will this level the truck? What is the factory difference between front and rear? 2010 TRD. I guess i coulld always dial the coilovers a little higher, or lower, depending on the hight of the rear. I don't have to be right at 3'', but that was the goal. The icons dial to 3.5'', but i don't want to go that high.
    My only concern is with tire rub. I would like to fit 33's, and I understand i will have to trim some plastic...No Big Deal. Some other people were saying their tires were rubbing on their UCA's. That concerns me a little more. How concerned should i be on backspacing for the wheels with this?

9. Apr 15, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    brian2010

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top