1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will tires seal on an unperfect rim lip?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by upthemaiden, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:01 AM
    upthemaiden

upthemaiden [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    Good morning! About to replace my tires and I'm going to mount them on some FJ rims I got for cheap. They have a little corrosion around the lips where the tire will touch and I wanted to get some opinions on how much I need to do for the tires to seal properly. Will they be fine as is? Can they just be sanded down a bit at home till they're smooth(I assume if I just sanded them it would lead to more corrosion in the future), will they need professionally cleaned up to avoid constantly losing air?

They're not as bad as they look in the pictures, but the garage was dark so I had to use the flash and it made it look worse than it is, but you'll get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    You might have to use bead sealer but I think itll be fine.

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:09 AM
    WhiteTacoma09

WhiteTacoma09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner access cab
    ZXE Headlights Drop in k&n filter Kobalt slim toolbox Tinted 17" FJ trail edition wheels OEM foglights 265/70/17 BFGs AVS vent visors Pioneer AVH-X1500DVD
  4. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:14 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Very fine soft wire wheel (Brass), drill, rag to wipe clean, rattle can of automotive clear coat, prolly ten minutes per rim, let them dry for 24 or more...done....

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  5. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM
    speedjunkie13

speedjunkie13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    a work in progress
    Yes they will leak air. Clean them off with some scotch brite pad at a minimum. Do not just coat them with bead sealer.

6. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    upthemaiden

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    Thanks! I don't mind doing as much work as it takes myself, I was just hoping I didn't need to take them somewhere to be bead blasted and recoated. Gotta grab some things at the store tonight already, I'll grab a new brass wire wheel and some clear coat while I'm out.

7. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    TacoDeLaPlaya

TacoDeLaPlaya Total Automotive Performance Sleeper Cell

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Del Mar, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver Access cab
    Custom sotoshi deep dish grill 6112 front 5100 rear Leer 100xl
    Do this to be sure it won't leak. At least clean the area with a wire brush first if you don't want to clear coat.

8. Aug 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Thank you for taking GOOD advice !!!!!

NO SHORT CUTS WITH wheels PLEASE.....I have been to ONE to many oops with someone trying to save a $$$ or time and the results are nasty....

All above ^^^^^^^^^ are good antidotes and you should make DAM sure the place mounting them knows you want them PERFECT before leaving....;)

9. Aug 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    upthemaiden

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    I tried browsing online at all the stores near me(home depot, lowes, harbor freight) just to see who has a brass wire wheel i could pick up tonight and didn't have much luck. Any idea where is the best place to buy something like that? I'm new to where I live so I'm not positive what other good tool stores are out there, maybe auto parts stores would have one? I see 6-8" ones for a bench grinder but I'm not sure I could really get my wheel angled on my bench grinder to work right, I see small ones for my dremel but that seems like this is too big of a project for stupid little wire wheels like that, they'd wear down after makign any real progress. I have an angle grinder, air compressor with multiple kinds of grinders, or a drill that all seem more ideal but no luck finding one that will fit on them yet.

If I can't find a good brass one, any other tools that would work well?? i assume a steel wheel would be too rough. Should I get a normal brush and go to work by hand, or maybe steel wool?? Thanks for the help guys!

10. Aug 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    t.hornstra

t.hornstra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    White with 4 wheels
    Little this. Little that 4x4 Swap’d PreRunner
    If you can, take it to discount/america's tire. We dealt with this all the time. We use our air tools with a brass brush to zap all the flake/rust/gunk off the bead seat area. Normally it does the trick and nothing else is needed.

On larger wheels with large tire, like trucks, we'll put bead sealer on there too. It helps and is mostly a preventative measure. Given that a truck will most likely hit dirt roads, mud, or water more than a sedan would, it adds a bit of support to it.

If you can't take it in, buy a brass wheel attachment for your drill and zap it at home. be careful not to grind into the wheel, just lightly (higher rpm, but light to the touch) and slowly zap gunk off. It will still look 'scratched' for obvious reasons, but the rubber is able to adhere and seal to the rim, given that there aren't any major knicks or gashes. If you need to, use a light coat of bead sealer on the inside of the lip, just make sure not to put too much or it will splooge out when you mount the tire. (makes for an easy/no clean up process)

If you have a dremel: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-Brass-Brush-Cup-Shape-536/203362628#.Ug0rF2T72BE
    If you have a drill: http://www.lowes.com/pd_323653-1687...=wire%2Bbrush%2Bdrill%2Battachment&facetInfo=

These are exactly what we use at america's tire, just they attach to our air guns: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  11. Aug 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    upthemaiden

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    awesome, I didn't find those two before, after I started looking online Lowes website decided to say it was down for maintenance so those two didn't pop up. I'll see what tire places are around and stop at a Discount tire if I see one!

12. Aug 16, 2013 at 4:25 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    Discount/America's tire does not exist in the Northeast, it is void from Virginia north to Maine, the closest you will find one would be Greensboro, NC...I suffered when working up in Connecticut two out of the last three summers, hard to find a shop that could balance them right, but I survived...

13. Aug 27, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    upthemaiden

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Pittsburgh PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab SR5
    Just bought it!
    Just wanted to update for anyone who searches this topic in the future. I used the brass wire wheel and had no problems getting the tires mounted. The shop started to say "and we'll clean up...... ooh... looks like you already did!", so you might be able to save yourself the work anyway, but I've got the new wheels on and am much happier with the truck!

Products Discussed in

To Top