1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

winch battery?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by amp3d, May 14, 2013.

1. May 19, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    thar ya go enticing 2nd gen participation, in the 1st gen folder :facepalm:

* while all DB systems require similar electrical installation...
    battery location of different models is likely not shared.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. May 19, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Gotcha.

Yes, but I was still curious. I know 2nd gens have more room under the hood, and have seen 2 in the stock location so it wasn't clear where the 3rd might fit.

3. May 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Could do two in stock position with the Columbia overland tray then one where I have it.

But idk if you ever need 3 batteries.

4. May 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    maybe in an RV !?

possibly a Tacoma with trailer in tow ?

but not like my pup
    maybe one of those "bring 'da house" adventurer's :p

I'd be cool with seeing superwhite's install
    just thought the battery placement request was odd.

5. May 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Two key winch specifications are the electrical load (measured in amps) on the winch motor for the weight being winched and the line pull speed (measured in feet per minute). The line speed multiplied by pull distance will give you the amount of time that the electrical load is applied to the power source. The power source source is a combination of the power produced by the battery and alternator. The electrical load and line pull specs are normally found in the winch's installation manual.

For example, a 8,000 pound pull requires 425 amps at 8.2 feet per minute, so you will have a 425 amp load on the power source for 11 minutes for a 90' pull with a full load on a with an 8000 pound winch. A car (starting) battery are designed for a minimum of the CCA current rating for 30 seconds and not for eleven minutes of a constant heavy load. Heat is a major factor on the battery, alternator and winch motor performance and reliability and can cause premature failures.

The second consideration is amount of power required to be supplied by the power source. Using the example above, 425 amps load for a 11 minute pull will consume 78 amp hours power source capacity. At 77 degrees F, a typical BCI Group 31 spiral wound AGM battery will have a Reserve Capacity of 65 amp hours discharged at 25 amps over 2.6 hours, but probably only 33 amp hour capacity with a 425 amp discharge rate due to the Peukert Effect. An average Group 24F is going to have 46% and Group 27F 75% the Reserve Capacity of a Group 31 battery. At 32 degrees F, the battery will loose an additional 35% of it's capacity and 60% at 0 degrees F. The current supplied by the alternator is going to be determined primarily by the engine RPM.

A single battery winch user should only pull for short periods of time say a minute or two with the engine running and then recharge the battery for 5-20 minutes depending of the output of the alternator, RPM and temperature. If the winch power is provided by an auxiliary battery, a dual (isolated) battery user can restart an engine from the isolated battery.

6. Aug 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Interesting. I was just looking at the BLUE Tops, in a 31M... for a dual setup. Blue or Yellow in the 31 series?

I would get the Sears diehard Platinum Marine in the 31, but I have a gift card for Advanced Auto for ~150 right now and cant cash it in.

Products Discussed in

To Top