1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch/Distribution panel

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by anethema, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Apr 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    anethema

anethema [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Hey guys just thought I'd post a few pics etc of how I mounted some stuff in case anyone else is as stumped as I was.

I have 2 HID Lightforce 170's and 2 Halogen 170's. All 4 fit nicely between the bars of the ARB. I've posted about these before but the PO drilled the holes for them and they are a bit wonky, but c'est la vie.

for the HIDs I mounted the ballasts on the passenger fender. One behind the wiper jizz tank, and one back a bit on the fender wall. So, Now I wanted to add an auxiliary fuse panel for my addons, plus a breaker for such, and then my winch etc.

Well, when I got the panel, it was really more of a panel mount than a surface mount, so made it a bit tougher to find a spot

Anyways, haven't loomed or anything, so its messy still, but here is how it looks at first.

[​IMG]

It is a blue sea distribution panel. Each circuit is 30 amps, 100 amps total for the panel. Used a 100 Amp bluesea breaker. Each circuit is switchable and has an LED that indicates if the circuit is on, off, or fuse blown. Tell at a glance which thing is blown!

[​IMG]

So far, happy.

Got the winch, but it seems you wire the winch directly to the battery with 2 gauge cable, but seems kind of scary, unfused huge cable direct to battery. Maybe I'll get a anderson power connection and leave it disconnected until its used.

I mounted the winch into the ARB bumper, but had no idea where to mount the solenoid.

Ended up mounting on a cross member in front of the Rad. You can reach it to attach the remote. You do have to reach your hand in, bit of a pain, but its not something used daily.

[​IMG]

Wired the lights in too, got them all illuminated and switched from the cab. Explained what's in there, here is a bit of a pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, going quite well! Some cleanup to do couple more circuits to hook up, and I'm set.

2. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    nice set up, looks really tough. I am doing something like that in the near future. Thanks for sharing.

3. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    x2

4. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Good job tieing up the wireing!

I hate when people just stuff them somewhere

5. Apr 3, 2011 at 10:45 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper,OEM Roof rack modded for access cab, Allpro Rock Sliders,Icon Adjustable coilovers,More Tie Downs in bed, Firestone Airbags in rear,Block heater
    Heh thanks guys.

Even that is wayy too messy for me. Its a work in progress so the cleanup hasn't even started yet, that's all temporary.

In the end it will all be loomed, tied, taped, etc.

Ya the bumper does not appear to have holes for the fairlead, its only held in there using rope tension right now. For the roller fairlead and steel wire its fine, but I was planning on moving to a hawse fairlead, and I'm not really able to drill holes further down. The taper to a bolt hole size at the end.

Anyways thanks for the comments/compliments guys. If there are any questions etc let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

6. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
  7. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Looking good

:thumbsup:

8. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Thanks man.

9. Apr 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    Sixfeathers

Sixfeathers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab
    Led lights: Replaced Bulbs in front,Fog Light modification, Westin Nerf Bars, TS mod,
    I like it. Clean and simple.

10. Apr 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I feel the same way about wiring the winch directly to the battery. What anderson connector would you use? I would like to do this for mine. Any insight would be helplful! Thanks!

11. Apr 4, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    anethema

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Dawson Creek,BC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    Well it is kind of odd to spec out.

Like the winch load current at its rated line pull is 420 amps. This is an insane amount of current, and is almost a continuous load as well. They give I think 2 gauge wire with it, which is rated for 211 amps. So not sure how that is supposed to work.

Using their logic I suppose, you could get the (still very large) 320 amp anderson multipole.

I would def have to do more research because even on the warn winches, it seems everything is underspec'd but they must be within some kind of limits to not open themselves to liability. I'd have to find some tables referencing current maximum in a time limit based max and apply it I guess.

For now though, I'm going to say the 320 multipole would probably be the proper connector given their cable diameters they include etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top