1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

winch mount help

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Nick54, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jan 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Are there good options for a winch that don't require a complete bumper change? I have seen some front hitch mount type winches but what are your preferences?

2. Jan 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i have seen a few of the hitch type winch cradles on trucks and never heard anything negative about them.

i would have to think though that a full bumper with straps that lead to the frame as well will be your best bet and most secure mount for the winch. arb, ato and relentless and a few others use that frame brace thing and it really evenly distributes the load nicely to avoid bending stuff.

all pros bumper iirc had some issues with this although they had said they never had any problems with their fronts some of there customers sure did.

so if i had a "preference" it would be to run either a arb ato or relentless bumper and put my new expensive winch behind some plate steel where its fully protected and has a strong secure mount. they even make hidden mounts for certain models of winches that are trick looking and function great but, a little fender bender can be the death of your winch hence why i would choose to run plate steel.

3. Jan 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    This looks like a very neat and clean solution, may be just what I'm looking for.
    Thanks

5. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:13 AM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I love the video of the guy raising the front end of the truck with the Undercover mount system. It appears to be very strong and stable. It would be nice if someone out there using the frame mounted front class 3 reciever would chime in concerning its strength etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top