1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winches: real world experience with cheap winches

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by Just_Tombo, May 29, 2021.

1. May 29, 2021 at 6:44 AM
    Just_Tombo

Just_Tombo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 prerunner TRD DC 3.4
    I have been working to outfit my two-wheel drive 2003 TRD with some precautionary off-road gear, I've already decided I want to use a receiver style winch since I prefer to keep the truck looking and weighing stock for a 99.9% of the miles traveled, but will mount the winch when I'm out galavanting.

Anyway, when you search for winches you get 99 people telling you to spend a couple g's on a warn, And the other one person is advocating a cheaper option like smittybilt etc. I was pretty set on getting a x20 or XRC comp with synthetic rope, and they are almost the same price at about $600, the closest price point from Warn is about $850, and in either case, it's a made in China situation, with the smittybilt being a "higher value" option, meaning higher feature to price ratio.

Enter: Amazon. There are about 500 clearly Chinese branded winch companies Hocking winches at half the price of even Smittybilt or Harbor freight badlands... So much about it seems wrong, but then I come across the Xbull.

https://www.amazon.com/X-BULL-Synth...&qid=1622291377&sprefix=x20+comp&sr=8-14&th=1

Anyone have experience with this specific winch? Have you used it a lot, has it performed well? Has it failed? It seems like it has really good reviews on Amazon, and I found a few threads and a different off-road forums saying that they were good, not seeing too many negative reviews. Would love to hear your experience if you have it! Obviously, reliability is paramount with any brand winch, and the last thing I want to do is spend half the price of a smittybilt (which is half the price of a warn winch), only to be left stranded and needing to then invest in the more expensive winch to appease my irrational fears - and perhaps that is the marketing strategy that warn Relies on - but I've also found a lot of posts where warn winches have let their users down/left stranded... So what to do?

Thanks for reading

chrono342 likes this.
  2. May 29, 2021 at 7:12 AM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Having used winches for a bit, I’ll give you one observation. You get what you pay for.

I have never had a winch fail. Haven’t ever had a line break. Why? Because I buy quality products and maintain them.

3. May 29, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    rnish

rnish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Maryland (USA)
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2nd gen
    King's, Camburg UCA, Dirt King LCA, armor
    Didn’t read your entire post, I zone out at 140 characters. Regardless; you are going receiver mount, synthetic lines are lighter. I’ve had to use my winch about once a year, it’s an enabler to try stuff I would not otherwise try. Most of the time it’s easier and quicker to get a friend to pull you out. I’m happy with my economy model (Engo 10000).

Just_Tombo[OP] likes this.
  4. May 29, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    Orange01tAcO

Orange01tAcO 2jz swapped 2001 tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ephraim
    Beaver Utah
    Vehicle:
    2001 Orange 2jz swapped Tacoma
    2jz swapped, Manual swaped, Raptor lined and much more.
    I have a 13000lb from Amazon in my truck currently. I haven’t used it more than 5 times yet. But so far it’s been okay. Before I had a synthetic 12000lb from harbor freight. I used it quite a bit. And I loved it. I pulled 2 Tacoma’s up a pretty good hill while it was raining and snowing, really slick hill. It did really good. upload_2021-5-29_8-31-24.jpgupload_2021-5-29_8-31-24.jpg

5. Jun 7, 2021 at 10:13 AM
    littlefish

littlefish Buzz, your girlfriend...

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    The one who dies with the most stuff wins.
    I've had the Smitty X20 synthetic for three years now. Used it multiple times to save my ass. Hasn't let me down yet. Now I know it isn't as good as a Warn, but for my uses I feel content. If I was doing a solo trip through South American and my entire life and well being rested on it, then yes I'd buy a Warn. But for wheeling in the woods with your buddies, where there's always a solution, I'm totally satisfied. If this winch ever fails then lesson learned, Warn here I come.

C41n, banditcamp and crashngiggles like this.
  6. Jun 7, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    ZColorado

ZColorado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Near Boulder Colorado
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB OR 6MT
    35's,Kings, NWF, 488, Harrop, SPC, Archive, Method, RCI, C4
    Harborfreight or name brand. Test frequently.

Line speed & load is what you pay for.

7. Jun 7, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    Theres warns that are decently priced. Not everyone needs a x-ps or a zeon :rofl:

15 years on my warn vr, I've took it apart once.

CowboyTaco, MJTH, C41n and 2 others like this.
  8. Jun 7, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    stonylaroux

stonylaroux Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Everyone dogs on the Harbor Freight winches but mine has never not worked for me. I have the 12k Badlands with synthetic line. Even though it has never failed, you can buy a couple of these before you break even with a Warn winch.

9. Jun 7, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    665.0coupe

665.0coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR MT
    I agree with your thinking that you could buy a couple for the price of a Warn, but if the harbor freight breaks and you need another one, it will break when you need it leaving you SOL.

C41n and Rubicon-n-Taco like this.
  10. Jun 7, 2021 at 12:58 PM
    Just_Tombo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for that, The x20 model is that I've had a hard look at as well, but the 10,000 option is almost the same price I still warn VR equivalent, which only makes the decision harder.

When I initially posted this, I was strongly considering getting that very inexpensive Xbull brand, but I have since been vacillating between the inexpensive warn VR options, and the smittybilt x20, which are very similar in price (~$120ish). Probably in the next month or so I'm going to make a decision, and I think it's going to be between Warren and smittybilt. I need to do some real comparison of the x20 and VR series to truly understand the difference, is anyone already done researching able to give me the comparison and after? Really appreciate all your guys's help

Roberto123 likes this.
  11. Jun 7, 2021 at 1:35 PM
    Roberto123

Roberto123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tarcoma SR 4X4 Dbl Cab
    I had the same dilemma, went with a VR EVO 8 ($500). Same setup that you are talking about. I have put it to the test and it works. I am a bit leary about pulling too hard on the front curt receiver. I have been working on cutting and clearing trees; I hook the Evo onto the rear receiver and work it for hours at a time. The cable is getting little kinks in it (normal??). Probably will go to a rope eventually.

There was an Amazon comment that the Evo remote doesn't work well. I think of that comment every time I am 50 feet away from the truck using the remote without any issue.

Just_Tombo[OP] likes this.
  12. Jun 7, 2021 at 1:46 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    How are you connecting to the trees? Not by connecting the hook back to the cable I hope. This will kink a cable faster than you can imagine.

Roberto123[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 7, 2021 at 4:04 PM
    littlefish

littlefish Buzz, your girlfriend...

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    The one who dies with the most stuff wins.
    If the price is that close buy a Warn. Back when I bought my SB I don’t think that option existed.

14. Jun 7, 2021 at 9:07 PM
    Just_Tombo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's what I did. Last Monday, 4wp was doing the "we pay tax on warn" discount which makes a big difference in my county, but unfortunately I missed it... But checked just now and they had the same deal going again, so I pounced

Now I've got an evo-8s on the way, with a couple of quick 2ga disconnects and a receiver cradle on the way. I have nothing, what else should I get? I know I'll want to put together a wiring set up for the back of the truck at some point but I'm going to wait on that initially... But what do y'all carry? Snatch block? Pull strap? Looking for your suggestions of "minimal and complete", and I'll make a grab and go type bag.

Thanks again for helping me spend my money

CowboyTaco and Roberto123 like this.
  15. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:37 AM
    Roberto123

Roberto123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tarcoma SR 4X4 Dbl Cab
    Thanks for the reply. The cable goes through a snatch block attached to a live tree with a tree saver. The cable then goes out to the downed tree log at a more or less than 90-degree angle. The hook attaches to a choker cable and tow strap attached to the log.

When I am done with the Evo I spool it neatly and apply Blaster silicone winch cable lube. I think it must be kinking while spooling during pulls.

There are about 10-15 kinks in the line. It has probably been through 200-300 cycles. For the most part, reasonably light pulls. Pic:
    land rover.jpg

OP: I had good luck/value with these.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GD8V653/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TVB1DFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8

I also bought the Ecotric cradle on Amazon and had to modify it a bit to fit the Evo 8.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  16. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:40 AM
    ToyoTaco25

ToyoTaco25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 Super-White DCSB 6-Speed
    ProComp 4" D-Bag, I mean Drop Bracket Lift, AMP Research Powersteps, 285/70-R17’s, Magnaflow, AFE CAI, Dipped Badges
    When I’m stranded the last thing I want to worry about is having a cheap winch break on me.

1 use of a winch will more than pay for itself. I like steel cable because I’ve seen too many synthetic cables break.

rainsux and Roberto123 like this.
  17. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:42 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I've seen good and bad out of both Name Brand and off brand winches. A lot of it depends on how you take care of it. Plenty of Warn with dead solenoids, a waterproof smitty x2o(?) that the controller box was a fishbowl.

@HrBrad8 has used an Xbulll 13k(?) winch without issue

stacksmasher likes this.
  18. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:46 AM
    skeletron

skeletron Disgraced Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Sakerlina
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Broh
    Get yourself a tree saver (or two), a snatch block, 50' tow strap, and some D rings. That's a solid basic recovery setup

19. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:50 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    and don't forget your 500 ft of cable because an 8000lb winch is undersized for our trucks ... damn I can't find that thread, it would be enlightening for a winch newb

stacksmasher and Toy_Runner like this.
  20. Jun 8, 2021 at 5:53 AM
    skeletron

skeletron Disgraced Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Sakerlina
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Broh

First off you ought to get a 10k winch for a Tacoma. Secondly that's what a snatch block is for - doubling your pulling power. And I don't quite understand how a longer cable is going to get you any more power.

To Top