1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Window Regulator woes

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Big Daddy, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Aug 11, 2019 at 1:57 PM
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4WD
    Just wanted to throw this out there to see what kind of advice I could get concerning my power window situation. Drivers side window was slow going in the up direction and even stopped sometimes until it cooled and reset.
    I ordered an after market unit from Amazon (Dorman) and it went right in. So after it was bolted in I popped the switches back on and lowered it and then up down up down a little bit until holes were lined up to attach glass. Un-taped window and lowered glass down and bolted it to regulator and ran it up. That was it... DEAD. Can't imagine what if anything I could have done wrong ?
    I have a warranty replacement coming and will change it out as soon as I have another slot of time ! One problem I know waiting on me is the fact that I cant get the window down at all to get to two bolts holding glass pane to regulator ? I sure hope there is a work around for that.
    Thank you in advance for any tid-bits of help or advice you could offer.
    Jeff

2. Aug 11, 2019 at 2:21 PM
    CS_AR

CS_AR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma PreRunner TRD
    Everything but the driveshaft. B03A - 410
    Sorry to hear about that. I just installed one yesterday. The only thing I can say would be to remove all bolts associated with the regulator. Maybe it will come loose and drop down or come loose enough to run. I had the arm rest out so that I could raise and lower the window with the control while I had the door panel off. I would be stumped until I could take it loose try operating it again.

3. Aug 11, 2019 at 6:47 PM
    Wsidr1

Wsidr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2 x 95.5 Ext 2.7L & 3.4L A/T 4x4
    Have you confirmed the fuse and that you are still getting power to the motor? That would be my first step.

If the motor did fail, you might be able to reach up inside the door with a 1/4 drive ratchet and 10mm socket to get the window loose from the regulator.

The ghetto/last resort alternative would be to use a hole saw and drill some new access holes where the bolts are in the up position.

4. Aug 12, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    DormanProducts

DormanProducts New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dorman
    I'd suggest as Wsidr1 mentioned. Start with the simple (check your fuses) Then I'd back probe the connector going to the motor and check for 12 volts when you operate the switch.You should get +12 volts in one direction and -12 volts in the other depending on which way you probe the wires. If you have no voltage I'd start tracing wires. If voltage is getting to the plug but you have no movement then it could be a bad motor. If that's the case, try tapping on it while pushing the switch (if you can get to it) that may get it moving if there's a dead spot.

Big Daddy[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 14, 2019 at 1:29 PM
    Big Daddy

Big Daddy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4WD
    Thank you for the replies. Ill be back on this project over the weekend.
    Jeff

6. Aug 14, 2019 at 3:05 PM
    Rachelsdaddy

Rachelsdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    99 PreRunner 4x4 2.7
    You are actually quite fortunate. Mine died, down, at a toll booth on the Interstate, in January. Long cold ride.

7. Sep 19, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    indowaver

indowaver Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'll add on to this thread just to vent if anything. First off, I have owned this truck since brand new, 98 trd 4wd. I never did any work on it myself aside from some door handles. I was always traveling for work and fled to the dealer for maintenance. Now, I have a 17 tacoma DD, so I can try to do some work myself on the 98. I'm going for a build and doing stuff I think I can handle.

So, I was removing my regulator driver side and the bolts holding the window tabs were real tight. I got the first one free but was really surprised I had to apply such force, almost seemed like I was tightening it at first. Well, the second one broke the window tab. Now I'm researching window tab repair and it doesn't look fun. I'm pretty sure I'll be breaking the window next lol. I'm thankful to be able to let the truck sit and take my time but I am very impatient and need to chill. Another thing I discovered is how the stereo shop seemed to have spliced into my wire harness and it looks like it's gonna be tight trying to just unplug regulator. I'll be doing that tomorrow. What takes an hour on a youtube video might take me a week, and I still might have to call uncle and let my mechanic finish it. I'm determined to do it myself though.

Products Discussed in

To Top