1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield Dots

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EAR28, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Feb 4, 2008 at 12:34 PM
    EAR28

EAR28 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Silver Truck
    has anyone ever tried to remove the black dots on the inside of the windshield above the rear view mirror?

2. Feb 4, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Why would you want to do that? It's there to block the sun that your visors can't reach.

3. Feb 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    You'd probably damage the coating on the glass trying to remove them. I wouldn't do it (or suggest doing it) but if I wanted them gone I'd try carefully scraping one dot off with a razor or surgical blade. A dab of acetone might soften the dots a bit but it might also soften the coating.

4. Feb 4, 2008 at 3:05 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    The other threads are right, you are opening a whole lot of ass ache, if you don't like them , just order a windshield without them.

5. Feb 4, 2008 at 3:32 PM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have no idea of why you want to do that.
    But we use Goo Gone on evidence tape.

6. Feb 4, 2008 at 4:28 PM
    EAR28

EAR28 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Silver Truck
    Thanks everybody. I was thinking about moving my radar detector above the rear-view mirror but it's sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

7. Feb 4, 2008 at 4:52 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    The dots block radar?

8. Feb 4, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I've never considered removing them,but one thing I can attest to is that they generate a great deal of heat.For the bridge that I use often to go into the City center,we can get a common electronic pass device that you mount to the inside of your windshield with velcro.When I got my new Taco,I decided that the black shaded area would be perfect..,obscured by the dots so that it was inconspicuous from the outside.Well after only a week,the adhesive that holds on the velcro had become so soft that the whole unit began to slide down the windshield.This left me thinking that it was perhaps designed to absorb as much solar heat as possible to encourage defrosting in the winter.

This may be something to consider if you were going to mount your RD with an adhesive of some type.

9. Feb 4, 2008 at 5:33 PM
    Roland

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    I can see the dots getting hot. A solar heating panel is basicly just a black surface behind a piece of glass.

10. Feb 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I've got an electronic toll tag mounted on top of the dots and haven't had any issues. Then again, it's only been on about the past 3 months so it hasn't seen summer heat yet.

11. Feb 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    I've had my toll tag mounted there for most of this past summer with no issue's as of yet (knock on wood).

Will the radar detector not work as well up there because of the "DOTS", or is it that the suction cups won't stick because of the "DOTS".
    I wanted to mount my radar detector up there also.

12. Aug 17, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    I work at a glass shop, those dots are pretty much on there for looks , there is no right way to remove them, it affects nothing in your electronics. Have you guys seen the black border on the outsides of your windshields? It's the exact same material.

13. Aug 17, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Those dots are actually pieces of metal. That's why it blocks the radar signal, let alone suction cups not wanting to stick to them. I will say I like the idea of it up above, my buddy does that in his 300zx and it's cleaner imo. However, on our trucks, having above would be detrimental even without the dots, as the detector should be lower to catch the radar gun blast. On small sports cars higher is fine, but on our trucks you'd miss the zone by quite a bit...

14. Aug 18, 2009 at 1:12 AM
    Diablo

Diablo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD
    I have my fuzz buster up there it works fine, saved me a few times.

Products Discussed in

To Top