1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winter weather driving.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Finphan, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dec 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    Finphan

Finphan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Logan, OH
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Doublecab
    A little information first, I have a 2007 Double Cab TRD 4x4 which I bought new. I had a second pick up, a 1998 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4 which I sold a few months ago, deciding to go to a single truck.

Here in Ohio we got a little bit of the big storm pounding the East, and I was driving to work in what I would describe as 1-2" of snow/slush and the roads had not been cleared yet. The 07 was sliding around worse than any Tacoma I have ever owned and I have had several over the years. I ended up slowing down considerably more than I ever had too in my 98, not implying that the 98 could run a speeds unsafe for the conditions.

So my question is, are the stock tires, BFG Rugged Trails a bad tire for snow? They have been ok for normal driving, and they have about 20K miles on them, but still have plenty of tread. I am ready to replace them, if I get some input on them being part of the problem.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    I ditched the stock tires for the winter. I used them in one mild storm and decided that I needed a good set of snow tires. I used to do a lot of winter driving in my truck with my old job so I would usually only go to work when it was bad weather. My only downfall is that I spend $$ twice a year to swap my tires around.

3. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:12 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    My Rugged Trails handled the storm down here rather well...better than I would've expected actually. In 4hi, it was almost like normal driving, albeit with understeer and I still had to be careful about braking/stopping distances. But control felt normal.

The ass end of 2nd gens goes crazy in 2hi in slick stuff with these BFG Rugged Fails. 4WD is a must.

4. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    my stock tires weren't the rugged trails, they were the bridgestone dueler h/t. i did notice though a huge change in the snow performance when i swapped out for the nitto terra grapplers... i don't have to use 4 wheel drive nearly as much, so yes, the problem is most likely your tires.
    for some perspective, i'm in northern virginia, and we just got 20+ inches, and i was one of the only vehicles that could drive last night

5. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    I have an 08 DC with rugged fails on it and Im not impressed with them in slick conditions either. My last truck had BFG radial long trail t/a and they were the best all weathers I ever owned. I am thinking of changing tires too, which sucks because the truck only has 12,000 miles on it.

6. Dec 20, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Oh I'm definitely changing tires as soon as these Rugged Trails are dead...but dammit, I paid for them, so I WILL use them up!

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't call the Fails a good tire. I was just surprised they weren't worse than they were in the snow.

7. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    My ole man lives in Dayton, OH and removed his all season rim protectors and installed his winter tire set. I'm a firm believer in snow tires and run Blizzaks on all my vehicles. My usual routine is to install winter tires on the stock wheels and buy a nice wheel/tire combo for the other 3 seasons.

Here's a demonstration of the differences between snow, summer, and all season, provided by tirerack, a picture is worth more than thousand words.

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=26&tab=winter

What better demonstration than on a hockey rink. Tire compounds, and construction are totally different between all season tires and snow tires. The most obvious differences are the number sipes per tread block and soft compound, which at room temperature can be easily compressed/moved with your thumb.

It doesn't matter if you own a 4x4 or not, 4hi will let you accelerate better but the braking and turning performance is still compromised using all season, all terrains, and mud terrains.

8. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    cameraperson

cameraperson TIM HUS shows Nashville how it's done correctly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameraperson ADK
    DC and Lake Ozonia in the ADKs
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 TrD sport
    Roof Rack, Auto Ignition, Full-time switchable camera over the rear tag, steering wheel cover, light floor mats, Gravimetric torpedoes
  9. Dec 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    I sold my "Rugged Fails" at 900 miles, and replaced them with Big O Bigfoot AT's...

Did the same thing with my last Dodge that came with "Rugged Fails"...

Makes a HUGE difference in all conditions...

10. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

With less than 3000 miles i got rid of the stock tires and got these goodyear wrangler Duratracs. They are snow rated a 10 and after a couple good snow falls here in buffalo i agree. used to run the BFG AT but would say these are much better AT tire.

11. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    I would have put those on, but they weren't out yet... I still may... Looks good...

12. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    swap out the rugged trails for some michelin x-ice's they are a very good snow and ice tire

13. Dec 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM
    tacoma89

tacoma89 Money Pit

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Richmond, Va
    Vehicle:
    08 sport dc lb
    Check build in sig.
    i just got the duratracs friday night as the snow began to fall. complete night and day as far as traction. no problem driving in the deep snow or slushy stuff. love em

14. Dec 21, 2009 at 4:51 AM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    Mine came with the dunlop AT20 junk and swapped them out with 400 miles on them, wasnt going to even take a chance and wait for the first snowfall. BFG Rugged trails are junk tires so Im sure thats the problem. I got the nitto terra grapplers. I hate to admit but my wife is the main driver since she lost her job and company car. So I sold the 09 F-250 and got the tacoma for her to be more comfortable in and I wanted tires that she would be safe with as well. I was torn between the duratracs and the nittos but the dura may have been a bit much for her daily driving. I just love the evenings and weekends as then she drives my company car and I get my truck back. Good luck with the tire issue, just remember safety first, tires cost a bit but you can replace them, you cant replace yourself or anyone else

15. Dec 21, 2009 at 5:16 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I bought my truck many winter ago. I had the 17" Dueler H/T's. It sucked. Any older truck with narrower 15's or 16's handled much better.

2 weeks later I bought 16" snow tires, problem solved.

16. Dec 21, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    As others have said, I use a dedicated winter tire ... actually run two sets, one summer rim/tire pkg and a dedicated winter rim/tire pkg.

I did, for one season, use a snowflake-rated all terrrain but drive a lot on dirt roads and see too much hardpack/ice & decided go with a studded, narrow 245/75/16 snow tire. Not necessarily a solution for everyone but works for me & the road conditions I drive. My stock Dunlop AT20s I gave away on CL.

17. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    This is a good thread to unleash my first mod - The bfg rugged fail tire mod!:D

bfgmod.jpg

18. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:32 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    This old Cracker handles winter traction issues by making sure I don't go any farther north than Gainesville between October and May. It works well year after year after year.

19. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    We've gotten more snow than usual this year in Reno and I must say, with the Dunflop AT20s, my truck would be useless without 4x4. I need better tires bad. Tires are so important when it comes to winter traction.

20. Dec 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    dlthunder

dlthunder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Sold my Taco
    TRD Skid Plate Rear Seat 11inch DVD Toyota Bed Mat Pace Edwards Full Metal Jackrabbit Nerf Bars Tailgate Electric Dynolock D-ring Bedbolts
    Like many others I run a set of winter tires. I put on General AT2 (with studs) but I have a buddy that runs the AT2s year round and he is very happy with them in snow and ice, they have the Mt Snowflake symbol.

Products Discussed in

To Top