1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winterizing...

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by chadderkdawg, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg [OP] Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    What does everyone do to winterize their boat?

I'll be letting the motor run in some clean water, and running any leftover fuel through the carb 'til the motor dies.

As for the trailer I'll put it on jacks.

Should I leave the battery on the trickle charger all winter or is that a bad idea?

2. Oct 31, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I tilt the out drive down, let all the water out, then lock it in the "Up" position. And add a bit of Sta-bil to the tank.

3. Nov 1, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    dexdawg

dexdawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB OFF-ROAD
    You want to fill the fuel tank and add treatment.

4. Nov 1, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    sta bil tank, fog motor

5. Nov 1, 2011 at 5:33 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I take it to the dealer and have anti-freeze run thru the motor, oil changed in the motor/outdrive, sta-bil in the gas, disconnect/remove battery, fog down the motor. After I pick it up I clean the whole thing and leave dryer sheets inside all the compartments. Makes it nice a fresh when you take the cover off in the spring. Then I get it shrink wrapped since I dont have a garage. The shrink wrap is worth every penny and is cheaper than spending the $$$ on a garage/storage

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Fill tankw/gas and stabil--or LEAVE EMPTY. Fog motor till it quits. Pour Antifreeze
    (PINK STUFF-that is for trailer water tanks)-pour into your engine water lines until it is full or comes out pink at the discharge. This is to prevent engine block freezing and breaking. If you store outside.
    Of course grease EVERYTHING and remove battery, check fluids and replace-change if necessary.

7. Dec 5, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    00Jimmy00

00Jimmy00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    08 SupWht OR
    I like to winterize my boat when it is 25 degrees out, freezing rain with a good gale breeze. Last year it took a blizzard to get me to winterize my boat. Snowed about 29" the next day.

1. Wax Boat and polish all aluminum and chrome.
    2. Change lower unit oil.
    3. Buy spark plugs now so you have on hand to install after the first start in the spring. Plugs will foul in spring when the remaining fogger is burned up on the first start.
    4. Run freshwater through the engine for 10-15 minutes with rabbit ears.
    5. Pull water seperator and fill with marvel mystery oil, screw back on.
    6. Buy a water seperator for replacement after first Spring start.
    7. Fill Gas Tank and add Stabil, Ezorb or enzymes
    8. Fill oil tank if applicable-I have oil injection.
    I fill both fuel and oil tanks to shrink the amount of space in the tanks to avoid condensation. I fill the gas tank with a higher octane too. Filling the tank vs leaving it low is a a subject of controversy.
    8. Run the engine again. When you notice the difference in engine smoke from the Marvel Mystery oil spray fogger into the carbs via the air filters. I have 4 holes to stick the spray can hose on the cover to my carbs. Engine should stall out. I take off each spark plug and spray extra fogger into the cylinders after engine cools. Do not replace spark plugs with new ones untill after the spring start (in driveway).

FYI. In the last few years, I always have one or two NGK Spark plugs that are bad so you may want to buy a few extra or use a different brand. Make sure to check the spark with a spark tester in the spring after replacing. It really sucks going to the water in the spring and finding out the hard way. The simple way to do this is to pull the plug wire while the engine is running and listen for a change in sound. If there is no change in rpm or sound, then you most likely have a bad plug. Switch the plug to another cylinder to see if problem migrates. If it doesn't migrate to the other cylinder, it isn't your plug, consult your manufactures repair book for the multitude of problems it could be.

8. Grease trailer bearings and spray wd40 or a rust inhibitor all over all trailer bolts, nuts, rollers, leafs. I clean the electrical connections for the trailer lights with a contact cleaner and then spray them down with white lithium greese.

9. I read a post above that said to tilt your motor up. I disagree, I spray the pistons with white lithium and I place my motor fully down so there cannot be any corrosion to the tilt pistons. I also do the same for the steering. I turn the wheel all the way to one side to hide the steering mechanism.
    Also, grease fittings are located on your engine and steering pivot points and should be greased.
    10. Take out batteries and charge fully. I never left mine on trickle in the boat. Store it indoors-NOT on cement floor.
    By taking out your batteries it enables you to clean all your connections with a wire brush. Vaseline all wire endings/connections. You will never corrode by doing this.
    11. I spray down any mold within the holds with bleach then I place a few moisture catching buckets inside the enclosed holds.

I am sure there is more but thats all I can remember from the top of my head.

oh yeah, cover your boat!

8. Dec 5, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    00Jimmy00

00Jimmy00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    08 SupWht OR
    One more thing, Pour some antifeeze into your bilge/hull. I place some in the water attachment on my engine as well.

9. Dec 10, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    I drained the water out the block, oil cooler and headers. Pulled the motor and tore it down to the bare block to be gone through over the winter, put the cover back on the boat and tucked it in the garage until its time to start getting it together for next season.

10. Dec 18, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.

Products Discussed in

To Top