1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wireless charger

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RickyBobby, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Jan 3, 2018 at 12:59 PM
    RickyBobby

RickyBobby [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner
    Hey guys and gals and any combination of the two...

I am going to be installing a wireless charger into my 2012 TRD sport, I havent really done any write ups or anything of that sort. Mostly because the mods i have done are small and have a bunch of different write ups themselves.

Upon investimagation i only found a couple of people talking about this sort of thing so here I am putting in my efforts.

I will be using this 12v to 5v power adapter I found on Amazon, courtesy of China https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MEESLZ6?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd

The adapter has come in but the charging coils are comming straight from the China land so it is going to take a bit longer but this is the one I ordered

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071HTSCG7

I figure I would go from my aux fuse box giving it constant power (im not a fan of this route but it should do over another add-a-fuse until i install another fuse block that gets power with the key) I plan on putting a push button switch in one of the blanks under the ac controls. To route the power through so i can turn the charging on and off as i see fit. If i can find an oem looking one that generally come with the 3rd gens that would be ideal.

The coils itself ill put under the center console, right below the gear shifter. I have a galaxy s7 that fits perfectly in the space next to the cup holder. I have been driving around with the phone there and so far it hasnt been sliding around, i do plan on possibly putting on a sticky pad or painting the charge area or something.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas i would love to hear them. I will be posting pics and updates as i go forward with this.

Sugar Silva likes this.
  2. Jan 3, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    Ripcord

Ripcord KM6PIM

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Spruce Mica 2013 TRD-OR
    I saw this in another thread,

This guy combined a wireless charger with a RAM mount.

ScenicCityOverland likes this.
  3. Jan 3, 2018 at 2:10 PM
    Ripcord

Ripcord KM6PIM

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Spruce Mica 2013 TRD-OR
    as far as wiring, i'd recommend against constant power. I've had small things like this on constant power before and it drained like crazy still.

RickyBobby[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 3, 2018 at 2:58 PM
    RickyBobby

Member:
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Vehicle:
    I like that but im looking to keep my phone down and out of the way.

Would it still drain if i put the switch in and turn it off there?

5. Jan 3, 2018 at 3:20 PM
    RickyBobby

Member:
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Vehicle:
    I could put in a relay connected to the ignition circuit which would still draw the power from my fuse block but only supply when the ignition is on. I like that better

6. Jan 3, 2018 at 4:33 PM
    R490

R490 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Upgrayedd
    VA/PA
    I'd like to do that but I'm scared of accidentally setting my truck on fire.

7. Jan 3, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    RickyBobby

Member:
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Vehicle:
    I know thats a possibility but im double checking everything and making sure its all good with my setup here

8. Aug 21, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    mwnewel

mwnewel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DB TRD 4x4
    OME 887x, OME Shocks, Dakar Pack, RCI Skids
    Redsyota and Norton like this.
  9. Aug 21, 2018 at 9:31 AM
    Ripcord

Ripcord KM6PIM

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northglenn, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Spruce Mica 2013 TRD-OR
    that is awesome! Wish i'd known about it earlier

10. Aug 21, 2018 at 10:00 AM
    potstech

potstech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    One minor question - Is your phone set up to charge wirelessly? Few of the older ones are.

11. Aug 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    My Nexus 5 has wireless charging... It is sad that my pixel 2 XL doesn't... An after market qi receiver coil patch fixed that though.

I had to much invested in chargers to just walk away.

Back to the topic at hand; i use an iottie cradle with qi built in. I wouldn't want my phone down there while I am using GPS

12. Aug 22, 2018 at 1:12 PM
    RickyBobby

Member:
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Vehicle:
    That is perfect, however it is 100, i so far have spent 30. I have it installed but ive run into some speedbumps. 1. it dosent fast charge which is due to the coils not getting enough power so i either need to wire directly into a circuit or get a different adapter, and 2. The placement dosent stick as well as i would like so I am working on fixes for both of these and i am still going to finish the write up for it after im done. I havent been able to work recently because my son has been in the NICU in dc so my days have been tied up with that. Once i make some progress ill get back to posting.

@mwnewel i do seriously like that adaper and if I had the money to drop on it i would get it and abandon this project but im too invested at this point and i like where the placement of the phone is here

13. Aug 22, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    RickyBobby

Member:
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Vehicle:
    @Larzzzz i understand the need to have the phone in a visible spot for GPS. I plan on getting a new stereo with in dash GPS in the comming months so thats what I planned for with this

14. Nov 14, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Magnuson Supercharger TRD CAI Catch Can After market dual exhaust Heated Mirror Kit Install Aftermarket Head and Tail lights Several accessory Mods
    Norton likes this.
  15. Nov 14, 2018 at 6:40 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Been thinking about this for mine, but was worried about fitment in the 6MT console. I discussed with a Scosche rep at SEMA, who assured me it would fit properly in all 2nd Gen Tacomas. :rolleyes:

Any pics of your install? Does it work well, in spite of fitment issues?

16. Nov 15, 2018 at 11:45 AM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Magnuson Supercharger TRD CAI Catch Can After market dual exhaust Heated Mirror Kit Install Aftermarket Head and Tail lights Several accessory Mods
    I dont, but I can, I still have the device (I didnt install, in the process of returning it)

Norton[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 15, 2018 at 12:25 PM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    As you can see in the photos, our (the MT types) cubby is round on the top, and scosche device is dead flat. Plus Im pretty sure its sitting too tall, but thats as low as it will go. And another thing you probably cant tell in the photos, is the scosche device is not wide enough, its probably a 1/8-1/4" to short width wise. And lasty, it sits too high, not much room to slip a phone on top of it. So...for $100 Ill be taking it back.

Anyone with a AT put this in? have any photos? Does it fit better than what Im showing (hopefully so) fullsizeoutput_3f1.jpg fullsizeoutput_3ed.jpg fullsizeoutput_3ef.jpg

Norton likes this.
  18. Nov 15, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    All that being said, If scosche doesn't come out with a wireless charger for the 2nd gen MT (which they wont), I figure Ill take the center console out, place it on a level surface, make a mold from the cubby, and measure/cut some ABS plastic/HDPE, and fit a stand alone Magic Mount plate (like this)

https://www.scosche.com/wireless-charging-mat-mqusm

And develop what this Schoshe OEM charger should be (for MT), hopefully it will be OEM looking fitting when said and done. Ill be updating my interior Tech/HU/Speakers et all this December, i really wish this Schoshe Charger would have worked, would be awesome to add to the truck wireless charging. Soon tho....

Norton likes this.
  19. Nov 16, 2018 at 4:40 AM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    I had put this together for myself some time ago, maybe you guys can find it useful. Uses parts from 3rd gen

Mobile Wireless Charger
    Charger
    861C0-04010
    Charger Connector
    90980-12368​
    Charger Connector Repair Terminal
    82998-24290 JPN
    Switch
    861C6-06011
    Switch Connector
    90980-12614​
    Switch Connector Repair Terminal
    82998-12870 JPN

GM alternative
    Charger
    Harness
    Connector
    Terminal

Attached Files:

20. Nov 16, 2018 at 6:24 AM
    Camby

Camby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Any photos of this installed?

Norton likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top