1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring amps and sub

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jpf8653, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Nov 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    Jpf8653

Jpf8653 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    Can 2 amps let's say both mono. Be wired to a single sub.
    For instance if I had two 500 watt RMS mono amps. And a 1000 watt rms sub. Is there any way to get power from both to achieve full 1000 rms to the sub?

2. Nov 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    I forgot the sub would be dual voice coil. 4 or 2 w/e would be needed to make this a possibility. If it is!

3. Nov 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    you can, but IMO, you need some really sophisticated equipment to get the output of the amps just right.... if you get even just a little too much power going to one of the VC on the sub, you can screw stuff up bad

4. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Do I mean they have to be designed to do this type of thing?
    How would u wire it?

5. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Do u mean they have to be designed to do this type of thing?
    How would u wire it?

6. Nov 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Ideally, yes they would have to be designed to do so, preferably with some sort of link connection between the two amps... not something that many manufacturers offer.

How would I wire it? I wouldn't use two amps for one sub - I'd get a bigger amp that's capable of running the sub on it's own.

Also very much depends on the amp and the sub. Is it a 2-, 4-, or 8-ohm DVC sub? How about the amp? Mono amp, or you talking a 2/4 channel amp that you're bridging down to a single/pair of channel(s)?

7. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Mono amps. I would get the speaker in w/e ohms needed to make it work. I'm just trying to get out of buying a new amp when I have two identical 500 watt mono amps already

8. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Just an option but you could sell one amp and use the money to buy a good 500w sub.

9. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4

This would be the point where you start to throw out some model numbers....

What amps do you have? What subs are you looking at getting?

500 watt sub amps are pretty decent for a single sub... putting two 500w subs to a single sub tells me that either you don't know what's going on, or that you've got a good sum of money to spend on said sub, but since you said you're trying to get out of buying a new amp, I'm leaning more towards the former.... that and you made the thread asking for help.

Pics and/or models will shorten this conversation immensely

10. Nov 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I have two alpine v power mono amps. 500 watt. Rms at 2 ohms.
    I want the Memphis mojo sub. Handles 1000 rms. I figured both amps should be plenty as they usually are underrated. Yeah the sub I would be spending some money on. But I don't have that much extra to buy an amp to match it. So I'm just seeing if there were anyways to use what I got. If I gotta go with something smaller and get two subs its not a big deal. I know enough about sound systems to get me by. I just had never heard of running two amps on one sub and wanted to know if it could be done.

11. Nov 17, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    I'm assuming you have two of these?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrp-m500/

From my experience.... If you wanna use your two subs, go get yourself 2 Alpine Type R 10/12's. Those amps are basically designed to run the Type R's no sweat - likely designed for Alpine's Type S lineup, but I know from personal experience that the V-Series amps will push a 12" Type R no sweat - I just put that exact setup in a buddy's Volvo 240 - Hated that install but sounded great.

I don't know where you're gonna put a 10 or 12" Type R in a DC that's not gonna take up the entire back seat.... let alone 2 of them.

My advice - Wait a sec..... you're the guy selling the Mr Marv 12" box with a Punch P3slim sub???

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ce/188415-fs-mr-marv-box-12-matching-sub.html

12. Nov 17, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Yeah I was running that amp on that system I'm selling. I don't have the truck anymore and my brother has the identical amp to mine so I was just exploring the options of subs and setups. I use to have a Type r and yeah they do sound good. I'll prob end back up with one. Just wanted to see about that dbl wiring business. Now I want have to ask anymore.
    On my last type R I had the MRP-600m, which they quit making. It handle the type R nicely

13. Nov 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    Don't have the truck anymore?? what are you going to put this in or is it all just hypothetical?

I totally get asking questions and all, but sell one of the V-Power amps, or trade someone for the 4-ch version.

14. Nov 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Why the 4 ch version? That's not going to increase my watts.
    I'm rocking a Honda accord for gas. I drive about 50 mins for work everyday. The only plus is I got tons of trunk space now.

15. Nov 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    the term for "joining" two amps is "strapping" some amps can do this where 1 amp becomes the master and the other is called the slave and adjustments are only done on the master amp.

16. Nov 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    TurboGT

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    Get the 4ch for the rest of your speakers...

If you're rocking an accord throw a single Type R 12" in, get someone to build you an enclosure (maybe even a vented one, since you got room) and your set...

Or keep both amps, get two 12" subs, build a bigger enclosure and just rock the bass CDs

17. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Just throwing this out there. I talked to my
    Local car audio shop. He said we could hook up both alpine mono 500 to a alpine type X dual voice coil and run them no problem. I actually didn't even ask. I went in there for prices on a box for a type R and he asked what Amp I had. I mentioned I had two 500's and he suggested to not waste one to get the type x which takes 1000 rms and run one to each voice coil and never look back. Said I need dual 4 ohm to have each coil set at 2 ohm load at the amp. And I'll get full rms power out of both. Like I said I didn't even asked I had thrown this out my head and he brough it up.

18. Nov 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back

don't do that! yes it is possible but there is a 99.9% chance you will end up just ruining speakers a dual voice coil sub isn't meant to have separate signals going to each voice coil if they are not 100% the same it will not work well and your speakers will not last. sounds like the installer is either just trying to make some money or doesn't know what he is talking about. i have been in his business for 17 years and would shit can any employee of mine that did that to a customer.

19. Nov 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Are u still in buisness? Thank you for the info also on hurting my equipment.

20. Nov 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    yes i worked for other companies for many years as an installer and install manager, i am in the process of opening my own store at the moment i have had an on site install company running for a couple years now mostly doing nav and remote starts for dealers. got sick of working for other people.

Products Discussed in

To Top