1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring amps and sub

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jpf8653, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Nov 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control

Go back and ask your installer exactly how he plans on matching the signals from the amps to the speaker....

If he says he's gonna set the gains on each amp so that it's the same, then he's an idiot, as the chances of the output of each amp being identical at every infinite gain positioning is nearly impossible.

If he says he's got an oscilloscope in the shop that is capable of recording RTA (real time analysis) of each amp simultaneously and the ability to dial each one in..... maybe he's got what it takes. Also, check Alpine’s Websiteand verify that his shop is one of Alpine's authorized dealerships.

Seriously though, I doubt he's got that kind of equipment, as the last time I looked, that equipment would likely run thousands of dollars. And the fact that you didn't even have to ask about it sounds sketchy to me... "Sure we can take your two amps, SELL YOU THIS NEW SUBWOOFER, and make it all work for you"... sounds to me like he's just trying to sell you a $300 sub and sending you out the door. Also, check Crutchfield - they're saying that the Type X subs are now discontinued.

I'm not going to do the math, but the likelihood that one 12" sub running off those two amps, no matter how dialed in the installer gets the amps, will get you more output versus using each of those amps to run a single "lesser" 12" sub (i.e. 2 amps, 2 subs.... one amp to each sub) is pretty small.... one sub is not gonna have the displacement to offset a second sub without spending a significant amount of money.

And lastly, I'm sure that the money not spent excessively on that one super sub will easily get you two 12" subs (Type R's would go really well) and an incredible build on a box from a quality installer both Alpine-authorized and certified & experienced.

2. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:19 PM
    Jpf8653

Jpf8653 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    I'm kinda sketchy myself.
    The type X are currently still on alpines website, so I'm not sure about them being discontinued. I would NEVER buy from a car audio shop as far as equipment goes. Internet all the way.

I'm however not going to be getting the sub either way. I'm currently deciding between 2 10" jl w3v3, or 1 12" type R.

I'm selling my other amp with my old setup. it was the only way i could get rid of the box and sub. thanks again for helping me out.

I started all this for conversation and knowledge. Had it been easily achievable then maybe i would buy the type X but with it being even remotely hard I'm good! thanks again

3. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    platinumb

platinumb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    denver
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    Personally given those two choices I would do the pair of jl audios he type r is a descent sub bu the w3 is one of the best I've had to chance to work with and A pair of 10s will be slightly tighter and able to give you more output. Of all o the choices I have available I have a single jl 10w3 in my BMW and in my wife's car. It is what I would use in my Tacoma if it fit better behind the seats in the double cab.

Products Discussed in

To Top