1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring Cali raised dual function light bar/switch

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by prickly_goo, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Dec 13, 2021 at 8:52 AM
    prickly_goo

prickly_goo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Custom headache rack
    Searched elsewhere but found no answers. I’m an electrical newbie.

I recently, off Craigslist, acquired a prinsu rack with a 42” cali raised dual function light bar (amber/white). Dude who sold it included a wiring harness with two leads for non-oem style switches for each color - different from current Cali raised dual harness which has one lead for one switch with two buttons for amber/white.

I ordered the Cali raised dual function switch thinking it would be an easy job. But I don’t know how to wire this switch (blue/red/black/yellow/green) to the two separate amber and white switch leads (black/blue/white wires) on the harness that came with my deal. The included harness looks different than the harness currently available from Cali raised so their instructions aren’t helpful.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Light and wiring/switch
    9DE7E9B2-2104-487A-BD13-614AAA760DB7.jpg

2. Dec 13, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    prickly_goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Custom headache rack
    Cali raised responded to me with the following diagram. I still don’t know how, even if these wire designations are correct, to connect the switch to the other two switch leads. Anybody? B4DAE096-7F2E-4E0E-8125-222EF0AD2D7E.jpg

3. Dec 13, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    prickly_goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Custom headache rack
    Then there’s this from CH4x4 which is exactly like the wires coming out the back of the Cali raised switch. Printed out and overlayed Cali switch for referenceA3289300-A3BF-4E35-BFCC-07FEA1A0AC20.jpg

4. Jan 1, 2022 at 6:17 PM
    Saltydawg

Saltydawg Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Tacoma Excess Cab
    None yet, but soon...
    Bro, I ordered the same switch and have the same issue. I used my multimeter and found out the BLUE wire is for the amber and the RED wire is for the white. The GREEN wire is common between the two. Meaning you hook a meter up to the BLU & GRN and the amber open and closes with the switch and the same for the white using the RED and GRN. As to the yellow and the black will if it ever stops raining I'll figure it out.

Good luck

TSAVO likes this.
  5. Jan 3, 2022 at 7:41 PM
    REAL_OG

REAL_OG Well-Known Member

Member:
    How’s the light output? Post pics please thinking about buying but also see the issue of installation

6. Jan 3, 2022 at 7:52 PM
    prickly_goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Custom headache rack
    Light output is insanely bright. As others have noted elsewhere, the mounting position on the prinsu rack throws the light slightly upward. I don’t really mind since I have a lower set of lights to light up lower areas pretty well.

Driving 75 mph plus in a headwind brings on a SUPER ANNOYING whistle that drove me insane. Only seems to happen while driving into the wind at higher speeds. Wind also flipped the light completely backwards.

as far as the switch, I’m using two separate generic switches for each color light.

There seems to be no consensus anywhere about how to wire up two leads to one dual switch. Generic switches are ugly and awkwardly mounted, but they are functional.

pics to come

7. Jan 4, 2022 at 5:08 AM
    REAL_OG

REAL_OG Well-Known Member

Member:

Please post night shots or any tips for installs would greatly be appreciated

8. Jan 5, 2022 at 7:54 PM
    BoomBam

BoomBam Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    So I was actually watching this thread for the same issue. This is what I came up with to make it so the backlight is only on when the light bar is on. (I didn’t tap into the dash lights at all). I’m finishing up right now but I’ll post a better picture and more details when I’m done. E1083691-334D-4D3C-82FE-328081B0123B.jpg

9. Jan 5, 2022 at 10:17 PM
    BoomBam

Member:
    PNW
    I somehow manage to loose my multimeter so I wasted a lot of time plugging and playing with wires. It seems that the schematics from Cali raised were incorrect? I was surprised that the switches didn’t come with a basic schematic and the videos linked on their page weren’t very helpful. I’m using the harness from Extreme LED for the dual function switch and the harness supplied with the Baja S8 Light bar for the ‘led light bar’ switches (one switch for amber back light and one for main switch) . I’m not sure if anyone else is experiencing any issues but both of my ‘led light bar’ switches did not fully click to stay on. I was only able to push them intermittently unless I wiggled them from behind. Hopefully the pictures are able to help someone. 03AF2D95-7BB8-4C8E-AFC6-5FB770031AA5.jpg50E77E5A-A9E4-4FF3-8B44-EFCE054CD22B.jpgF481E16D-2263-4B49-AD5B-92250DE91886.jpg

Myerwiener_ likes this.
  10. Jan 6, 2022 at 9:04 AM
    prickly_goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Custom headache rack
    It looks like my harness is different from yours. I have two separate switch leads each with black/white/blue wires. Still no clue on how to wire these to the Cali raised switch. Looks like you are on to something with your though.

11. Jan 6, 2022 at 3:42 PM
    BoomBam

Member:
    PNW
    the red switches in the picture are probably pretty similar to what you have going on.
    If you end up trying the dual function switch again and are able to identify if white/blue are power or load you can make it work.
    From the harness you can join both blacks and connect them to black on the switch.
    Join both power wires from harness (white or blue, whatever is your +) and connect them to green on switch.
    Identify the return wire from harness (amber return/white return) and connect them to the appropriate wire on the switch side. I believe red (on the switch) is your white light return wire. Blue will be your amber return. I got my power straight from the battery so I didn’t use yellow at all to tap into the dashlights.
    Hope this helps if you end up going this route.
    F5F1828D-9D9E-4FBC-8846-3FBAF6C1C22E.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  12. Jan 6, 2022 at 8:02 PM
    prickly_goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Custom headache rack
    thanks for the input. I will definitely use this descriptive schematic and once again attempt to wire the switch. From what I gathered, on my leads, white=power and I think black=ground and blue=relay to amber/white lights. Hope to get to it this weekend. I will update once I make an attempt.

13. Feb 16, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    Jahawj

Jahawj New Member

Member:
    Hello, I ordered a dual switch from AliExpress for my RAV4 (also have an 04 Taco...) and could not find the correct wiring. I stumbled across this thread and as it is fairly recent I thought I would chime in with what I found for anyone else who might need help wiring.

When I wire it the way in the diagram above from Cali raise, the top switch's amber led dulls and I have no green illumination on the bottom switch. Also, I can only turn on the bottom switch if the top switch is also on. This is definitely not what I wanted as the amber illumination is different in both switches and it's just dumb to have to need the top switch to be on in order to use the bottom switch.

I asked the seller on AliExpress how to wire it and this is what they sent me which did not help.

-8769153831889840169.jpg

So what worked for me is this (assuming you're also going to use two relays):

Blue - switch signal to relay switch signal (top button)
    Red - amber led switch illumination (12v source)
    Black - ground
    Yellow - green led switch illumination (12v source)
    Green - switch signal to relay switch signal (bottom button)

I hope this makes sense because reading the other diagrams are confusing as hell. I don't know why it's worded like that... Translated or something... I find how I identified the wires pretty straightforward.

Wiring it this way has everything working as I would imagine it's suppose to. Both amber illumination is the same color, turns green when pressed to the on position, I can use each button individually. This is what I was expecting the switch to do.

If you can't figure yours out give this a shot. If your wires are a different color, just match up the position of where mine are. I hope this helps anyone out there looking.

Here's a picture of my switch. I ordered two and they wire up the same. Good luck.

20220216_175216.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
  14. Feb 17, 2022 at 8:07 AM
    prickly_goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    Custom headache rack
    Thanks for the diagram. Its still unclear to me how my two switch leads (each with one black/blue/white) should tie in to your diagram. Im fairly sure that on my leads white=power, black=ground, and blue=????

15. Feb 17, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    Jahawj

Jahawj New Member

Member:
    It looks like you have this setup:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/rough-country-light-bar-rocker-switch-wiring.88556/

If those leads are coming from the relay to a switch, going by my switch's wiring and assuming yours is also made in china with different colored wires, I would try this:

Both your White to yellow and red (12v power wires)
    Both your black to black ( ground wires)
    One of your Blue to green (switch wire - mine was for upper button)
    The other Blue to blue (switch wire - mine was for lower button)

Swap out the last two wires for which button you want the white or amber to be.

So on your switch itself:

Green wire = upper button
    Yellow wire = power wire for switch 12v source (switched so they turn off with the ignition or always on and you have to remember to press the button to turn off) mine lights up amber
    Black = ground
    Red wire = 2nd illumination wire 12v source (switched or always on - see above description) mine lights up green when turned on
    Blue wire = bottom button

I missed it but my switch's wiring is exactly like that CH4X4 picture you posted except the upper and lower button wires are reversed on mine. If you tried that already, then I guess these dual switches are not all the same.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  16. Feb 17, 2022 at 12:17 PM
    Jahawj

Jahawj New Member

Member:
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  17. Apr 6, 2022 at 5:07 PM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    Did you try it his way? Did it work?

18. Apr 13, 2022 at 7:31 PM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    Hey guys, I had trouble with my switch as I couldn't find a diagram and what I found online, wasnt working. This is what I did and it works correctly.
    Green, power into your switch
    Yellow, dash lights
    Black, ground
    Red, to the other relay
    Blue, to one of your relays,

19. Apr 17, 2022 at 12:53 AM
    MACKT28

MACKT28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006DCLB
    Heretic Ditch lights Toyo Open Countrys AT2 HI VIS OVERLAND RTT
    Was that on the cali raised light bar because I have the issue where as to when the switch wired up for power blue light comes on the switch and stays on even with the truck off. And I don't have the option to where I can get just the white to come on. When push in just white I get just amber light and when I push amber I get nothing and when both of course both lights light up with white background lighting. I can post pictures of the wiring tomorrow.

20. Apr 17, 2022 at 10:44 AM
    Canadianguy91

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Yeah I had the same. Try it the way I posted

Products Discussed in

To Top