1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring For Rear LEDs

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by vanfireman, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Mar 17, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    vanfireman

vanfireman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cape Cod, MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport double Cab 6Spd MT
    Mud Flaps x4 Extang Solid Fold 2.0 Tonneau S/S Tube Steps Air Horn (AironBoard push button switch) LED Bed Lighting (wired to Cargo lamp) Center Console organizer (Vehicle OCD) Center Console lid Molle pouch Tailgate TACOMA letter inserts (in Black Carbon Fiber) LED light upgrades (Headlight, HiBeam, Fog, Map, Dome, Vanity, Reverse, License Plate) Caliraised MOLLE Rack (right side) (2) Rear Rough Country LED spot/floods (AironBoard Switch) - these also come on with reverse gear Anytime Front, Cargo Bed, & Backup Camera Auxiliary fuse box Meso Customs 7-hole lower switch panel Meso Customs Extended fuse cover No-slip Bed Mat Pop-n-Lock Kit (KTJO) TRD “Faux” Grille with LED running lights Electronic “police style” air horn [Coming soon] Dash Vinyl Kit
    If anyone has insight, please weigh in. I recently purchased These Rough Country 2” Square Cree LED Lights.

I wired them using an Air on Board switch (Toyota style push). Lights come on and off with the switch. All good. Pardon the drawing, I’m no electrician or artist:

The question is, can I ALSO tap these into the reverse lights so they are controlled by the switch AND Reverse Gear? If so, splice the reverse light or trailer plug? Do I up the fuse for that (i think it’s 4amp draw)

I have @mattgecko Bed Rail LEDs connected to my cargo lamp.

Help me Tacomaworld, you’re my only hope!

Thanks in advance!

2. Mar 17, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    savin yours

savin yours Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    SE Tx
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road
    I just posted the same thing yesterday. So far, it’s not sounding good.

3. Mar 18, 2019 at 5:01 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I doubt you'll need a relay to trigger those LEDs. A relay is normally used where you have something that draws a significant amount of power (lot of amps) and you don't want to fry the switch. And keeping your wiring as simple as possible will make it easier to trouble shoot down the road.

You also have the wrong fuse selected in your diagram. A 4 amp draw shouldn't require more than a 7 or 10 amp fuse.

4. Mar 20, 2019 at 4:55 PM
    Shap09

Shap09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Warrior
    Vehicle:
    Work in progress
    Just tap into the reverse light wire on your 7 pin. That’s what I did and it comes on when I shift into reverse and goes when I shift out.

5. Apr 13, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    slowlane

slowlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    Did you use a relay for the mattgecko bed lights? I want to wire bed lights the same way. Thanks!

6. Apr 13, 2019 at 11:02 PM
    Hoangde

Hoangde Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 2 cents.
    Nothing wrong with what you are doing BUT... I will do slightly different due to safety of not overload wires and better protection. Per your light's spec, the total 3 Amps required so better off to drain main power from battery or accessories battery.
    upload_2019-4-13_23-4-39.jpg

AggieTacoGuy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top