1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring help needed 1997 Auto Transmission Harness

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Key-Rei, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Jul 28, 2022 at 5:08 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Hello all,

I'm helping my uncle fix someone else's botched work; previous shop ripped out a 3 pin plug on some sort of sensor for the Automatic Transmission on this 1997 Limited T4R, should be the same as a 1st gen Tacoma I expect.

If anyone can tell me which wire goes where into the plug I would appreciate it.

I have a new pigtail with the right size pins I just need to know the color landing locations so I don't potentially short anything.

Looks like a light/faded green possibly just white wire, a white wire with red chaser, and a dark green wire with red chaser.

PXL_20220728_235709977.jpg

Red arrow indicates towards front of vehicle, this plug is near the back on the drivers side if the trans behind the shit solenoid housing, not sure what this sensor is but given the kind of natural lay of the ripped wires I'm guessing they go as follows:

PXL_20220728_235410390~2.jpg

If anyone can confirm through a wire diagram or crawling underneath their own rig it would be greatly appreciated.

More pictures if it helps:

General location, it's the unplugged black vertical sensor in the back, the bare wires go to it the other plug goes to the vehicle speed sensor I believe it's just unplugged for access to the ripped wires to solder on the new pig tail harness.

PXL_20220728_215923121.jpg

Another of the stripped wires.
    PXL_20220728_215910861.jpg

The sensor or whatever on the trans.
    PXL_20220728_215906909.jpg

Appreciate any and all help and if you guys know of any electrical guru's that could help please tag them for me.

Thank you very much for your time.

2. Jul 28, 2022 at 5:52 PM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    I have the 97 4Runner EWD pin 1 is light green/red tracer pin 2 is light green pin 3 red/ green tracer

With the clip on the top facing you like your looking at the plug head on.

#2 is the single pin #1 is the Top right #2 is the bottom right .

This is the connection for the shift solenoids.

If you need more message me!

TnShooter likes this.
  3. Jul 28, 2022 at 10:44 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    For anyone whom ends up here hopeful for an answer here's what Bivouac told me is correct:

PXL_20220729_010514174~3.jpg

So clip to the top.

Top right is pin 1; has the light green (white looking due to age) and red stripe.

Left is pin 2; the pure green no stripe (again white looking due to age)

Bottom right pin 3; dark green with red stripe.

This is they way I pinned it and connected it but haven't yet had a chance to fire it up and see if it's working correctly yet but it should be good to go.

4. Jul 30, 2022 at 2:16 AM
    Bivouac

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Well I guess no news is good news!

5. Jul 30, 2022 at 5:14 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Truck is still on the lift getting other work done but I'll update when it's rolling again.

Bivouac[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Aug 6, 2022 at 12:17 PM
    Bivouac

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Still up in the air ?

If it was one of my projects it might be years then it would take a week to move the stuff under the lift.

Products Discussed in

To Top