1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring New Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacco, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Oct 17, 2011 at 1:03 AM
    tacco

tacco [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok so I'm a long time tacomaworld reader, always check it before any kind of mod on my truck, and this is the first question that I have had still unanswered:

I recently threw a new alpine HU and speakers in the car. Sounds great, but I decided I want to put some rear speakers in the back doors since the holes are there and everything. I know there are some users who have done this, and it seems relatively straightforward.

My problem is (and i am in no way wire savvy, but first time for everything) wiring without using an amp to power these. Since there is no existing wiring in the rear doors, how can I tap into either the wires running from the existing rear "speakers" in the headliner and use that harness, or going straight to the head unit.

thanks in advance.

2. Oct 17, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I would go straight from the headunit if i was you, seems like the best bet

3. Oct 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    tacco

tacco [OP] Member

Member:
    ^ ok yeah thats what i was thinking:

now this is where my non-wire experience comes in. Can anybody (briefly) explain how to wire this to me. Without a harness coming off the HU into the rear doors, i am lost. I do not see how simple speaker wire will work getting it to the HU, since the speaker wire is double wired, and by the time it plugs into the HU, its single, due to the harness.

I probably sound like an idiot, so forgive me. I just can't figure this out.

4. Oct 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Behind the head unit there are the wires for the speakers. Each speaker gets 2 wires, a +/- wire. Run a new wire to the door speaker, and up to the dash behind the head unit.

Disconnect the factory roof speakers, connect door speakers, and you are in business.

OR

are you wanting to keep the roof speakers and add door speakers?

5. Oct 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM
    tacco

tacco [OP] Member

Member:
    No the roof speakers sound awful with the new upgrades, all i can hear is crackling and popping.

so your first set of instructions is perfect. thank you so much, glad its as easy as i thought it would be :D

6. Oct 19, 2011 at 3:53 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure

Products Discussed in

To Top