1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring overhead screen need help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2k6750, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    2k6750

2k6750 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB Prerunner Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Toytec coilovers set at 3", 5100 shocks all around, rear AAL and 1"block, 18" Moto Metal 951's with 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers, Leer Topper, de-badged, T-rex billet grille, BHLM, K&N intake, Jardine catback, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, 8" kicker solo barik, Clarion 7" in dash dvd player. 12.1" flip down screen
    Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while. I've had a bunch of things going on along with messing with my turbo miata a LOT. Anyway I'm about to take a road trip and was wondering if you guys had some input . I'm putting in overhead screen that will run off my head unit. Where did you get your main power and ground? Does anyone know the what the 3 wires are for the stock overhead lights. Are they constant power, dimmer, and ground? I only got power from one even with the door open. Also it looks like the screen will have a small gap at the back if I put the mount under the headliner and dont cut the headliner at all. Anyone have some pics or a thread that might help me out? Thanks in advance. Here's a pic of the other project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    2k6750

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    Toytec coilovers set at 3", 5100 shocks all around, rear AAL and 1"block, 18" Moto Metal 951's with 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers, Leer Topper, de-badged, T-rex billet grille, BHLM, K&N intake, Jardine catback, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, 8" kicker solo barik, Clarion 7" in dash dvd player. 12.1" flip down screen
    Not even any comments on how Miatas are gay?

3. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers

well now that you mention it :rolleyes:

j/p, whats gay about a car that handles like a go kart? throw a turbo on top of that?

so exactly what are you tuned in at with the turbo? psi?

sorry no help with the audio stuff, just wanted to comment on the miata!:D

4. Jul 18, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    Dave333

Dave333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD long bed dbl cab
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    Sorry no pics but I installed a 10.2" monitor with DVD in the overhead. I cut the headliner and bolted to the roof. Yes the 3 wires are constant, dimmer and ground. All color coded so it'll mate right up. I ran my 12V power with a tap a fuse and grounded at a seat belt bolt. I'll be switching this out with a 15.2" flat screen only this fall so I'll take pics then and make a write up. I'm out of country for a few months otherwise I'd run out and take a pic of the fuse block for you. Very simple wiring, longest part of the install was removing the pillar covers and taking down the headliner. Have fun.

5. Jul 18, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    2k6750

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    The Miata is only running 6psi as of right now. I'll be ordering my ecu really soon and bumping it up to 15psi That should be around 220-230 RWHP. It's gonna be really fun smoking v8's in a 20 year old Miata. haha Thanks for the help, Dave. I'm gonna try to tackle this project today or tomorrow. I'm gonna need 2 separate power sources since I need to power the lights and the screen itself. Any idea what color is what on the factory dome light?

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Dave333

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    Borla Exhaust, D/T LT, TRD CAI, Hella Rallye 4000, ARB, M/T Sidebiters 16", 265/75/16, Stubbs HD SKO Sliders, OME 3" lift with 886, Dakar Rear leafs, Satoshi
    If I remember right, it is standard wiring. So Black is ground, Red is constant and Yellow is the dimmer. The flip down screen should have the wiring for the lights built in and then the other source wiring from the flip down goes to the fuse box or directly to battery if you so desire (if you go this route, put a fuse block between battery and wire) and then the black goes to ground. So you should have a flip down screen that has 3 wires that are probably Red, Black, and either Yellow or Green. Those go to the dome. Then there should be another set of wires that are black and red. That is the screen's power source. The black is ground and the red is your 12V. Check the specs on the device to make sure you draw correct amperage and then just tap into a fuse with the same amp. If in doubt, 3 amp is what is on my 15.2" and I just bench tested it yesterday with a 12V 3amp power supply and it worked fine. Sorry I didn't take pics when I did it, I also used a voltage meter to check. Nice Miata btw, those things are sick on the track. I've always wanted to build a S2000 but according to the wife I have too many cars as it is. If you run into any problems on the wiring, shoot me a PM. Also you can get a trim ring kit to cover up the gap. If you cannot find one, check a Radio Shack or even Lowe's/Home Depot for a small piece of weather strip, wrap and tack with glue and heat gun.

7. Jul 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    Dont know about the screen, but that makes me miss my turbo miata.

Why not run megasquirt? Its pretty simple to build or you can buy one prebuilt. You can do all your own tuning and it has so many features, launch control, flat shifting etc.

It made my miata a beast running at 10psi =P

http://www.diyautotune.com/

its literally fully customizable and you can do anything with it.

8. Jul 18, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    If you tap into the overhead lights beware that there is only a 5A fuse, might want to bump it to 10 before you blow it and are left scratching your head until you figure it out. Also the fuse is located in the box under the hood, not the logical place under the coin-tray.

9. Jul 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    2k6750

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    The wires are blueish black, which is most likely ground, white which is constant power, and then a white/black tracer which I don't know what it is. It doesn't get power when I open the doors, or close the doors. Now that I think about it that one might be ground and the blue is dimmer. Either way I cut the headliner, fit the mount and it got too hot out. 100+ sucks in direct sunlight! The overhead lights are going to do nothing but power the lights on the unit. I'm going to get power from the radio and ground wherever I can find one close.

Looky, I'm going to have a MS built for me by someone on the Miataturbo forum. I just haven't "ordered" it yet because I'm in the process of buying a house, just working on negotiating. Any pics or specs of your car? Mine's a 90 1.6 with Td04 greddy turbo, custom mani, custom dp.

10. Jul 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    2k6750

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    Blue is dimmer, white/black tracer is ground, white is constant power. Now I gotta figure out what is what on the monitor for the lights. It has black(neg), brown which I think is the dimmer and blue which I think is constant power. I should have this buttoned up with some pics soon.

11. Jul 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    2k6750

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    Well I finished up this project tonight. Overall the install wasn't too bad once I made sure it was dead center. Don't have any install pics, but here's the finished product. The flash on my camera kills the quality, but it looks good for a screen I paid 100 bucks for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jul 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    Dave333

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Loganville
    Vehicle:
    Looks good man.

Products Discussed in

To Top