1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wondering if I over oiled

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tacoguy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Oct 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM
    Tacoguy

Tacoguy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma PreRunner V6 3.4 TRD
    Bed Liner, Running Boards, Cargo Net, Deck Plate Mod, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
    Well Since I was doing some maintenance, I figured I would clean my kn filter.

I washed it really good with the kn cleaner and let it dry for 24 hrs. Then I applied 1 coating of oil, let dry, then applied another. To me, it does not look over oiled, however when I look at the back, there are a few spots that look slightly darker than others.

Also, I had a few droplets sitting at the top of the filter, does that sound over oiled?

I am thinking I should wash and oil again, but I hate the idea of wasting the oil. :D

2. Oct 3, 2009 at 12:49 AM
    1998tacoma4x4

1998tacoma4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4x4 3.4L Auto
    Deaver j59 pack 2.5 SAW coilovers, rear bilstein 5100's. Extened stainless rear brake line, deck plate mod, drop in K&N filter, Kenwood headunit & pioneer speakers, SnugTop Shell.
    If you shake the filter and oil flies off there is too much but if you oil it up and shake it really good and nothing comes off its perfect.

3. Oct 3, 2009 at 12:49 AM
    1998tacoma4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Deaver j59 pack 2.5 SAW coilovers, rear bilstein 5100's. Extened stainless rear brake line, deck plate mod, drop in K&N filter, Kenwood headunit & pioneer speakers, SnugTop Shell.
    If you shake the filter and oil flies off there is too much but if you oil it up and shake it really good and nothing comes off its perfect. Just make sure the color on the filter is uniform, no light spots.

4. Oct 3, 2009 at 1:04 AM
    1998tacoma4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Thats what im getting with my next paycheck. :) no more oiling and hassles plus it flows better :)

5. Oct 3, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I would wash it again.

You should do a quick pass (spray about 3" above) over the filter and only enough passes to cover. Watch the oil WICK into the material. If the entire filter is PINK - you're done. You should never do two coatings of oil. If you see white spots, then only spritz those white spots.

The cleaning kit instructions should explain this....

Products Discussed in

To Top