1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Work trip advice

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by AZ_J, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:00 AM
    AZ_J

AZ_J [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    265/75r16, sliders, softopper, roof rack
    So,

I am a structural engineer (Engineer-In-Training). I was asked by my company to go to an out of state project location (AZ->Idaho) to help out concrete construction as they laid off a bunch of our Construction Management group at the start of covid. I said yes as a good show of faith, its only 4 months, they have paid for housing meals, gas... everything except toiletries and alcohol.

Here in lies my dilemma. I agreed to 4 months only (Mid June-Mid Oct.), because come mid-october the winter storms will start rolling in and our project site is ~45 miles in on a nasty FS road. And we won't have a personell work camp here till December, thanks Idaho Government for forcing a new camp to be manufactured in Idaho instead of repurposing one from Montana that was already made and sitting in laydown yard in some lot.

I am now being asked to stay on for the duration of the project, could be until March of next year, but with the way things are moving so slow here, I bet that will get extended to.

I absolutely am going to say no to extending what was an act of good faith because my relationship with friends, family, and SO is suffering.

I know a workplace can make you travel for work, but can they force you to extend you travel even if there was an agreed upon timeframe? I do have the email chain saved to my personal email just in case.

But also kinda done with this company as they only gave out 4.5% annual raises to everyone across the board, which doesn't even cover inflation, and didn't get one last year due to covid, meanwhile the President and VP of Operations just bought a new $750k house in Seattle.

Thoughts?

2. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:07 AM
    0xDEADBEEF

0xDEADBEEF Trash Aficionado

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 reg cab 4x4 flatbed MT
    Sounds like you’re looking for a way out already. I’d sharpen up the resume and intensify that search.

I would say no if you can be unemployed. Probably depends on your state if they can “make” you go. Seems like the chances are low that they’d let you go though, they clearly need people. If you put your foot down they might find a way to make it worth your while, or at least get you home more often. Don’t extend it without a fight.

Woofer2609 likes this.
  3. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    Woofer2609

Woofer2609 Getting better all the time.

Member:
    First Name:
    Clancy
    Vancouver Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 AC 4X4 2.7 5M
    I would personally stand my ground if I didn't absolutely need the income. Do not let the company take advantage of you unless you are being extremely well remunerated for it.
    You will never get this time back. Relationships are important. Work comes and goes.
    If you communicate your wishes in a polite but firm manner, you will be more respected for standing your ground for good reason.
    I spent too many years saying yes, when I should have said no because I knew in my heart it was what myself and those around me needed.
    I have noticed that wherever we set the bar for ourselves, people will somehow take notice, and respect this boundary.
    Anytime I have over extended myself, I notice that I become less of the person I like to be, and am not an assett to those around me.

0xDEADBEEF likes this.
  4. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Well, a $750K house in Seattle is probably not that special.

At a professional salaried level, a yearly raise of 4.5% is not bad at all.

You absolutely have the right to be frustrated and decline the extension. I'm sure they didn't want to have to ask you to do it, but they obviously need someone there and don't have someone else to cover it. Just keep in mind that they have the right to find someone who can supervise the job and might have to use your salary to pay them. It may be time to move on anyway, especially if your personal life is suffering.

Good luck, and I hope things work out amicably.

5. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    AZ_J

Member:
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Yeah, I doubt they would give me the ultimatum... stay or be fired. But in my head they will.
    Also 4.5% would be excellent if inflation wasn't 5+%, and Phoenix's rental market is skyrocketting. Currently saving up for a house payment but those keep increasing to.

asuchemist likes this.
  6. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    They can't force you to stay longer than you agreed to.

boston23 likes this.
  7. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    AZ_J

Member:
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Correct, I brushed up on this through quick google law research (LOL). A company can ask you to travel and if you say no, you can be let go, but say letting me go for not extending an agreed upon stay I think falls into the wrongful termination. But that could just be me overthinking and being optimistic for my side.

8. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    AZ_J

Member:
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Oh and btw, if it helps I had to surrender a trophy AZ archery elk tag this year for this trip.

9. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Just searched USAjobs for Engineering jobs in AZ. Seems like you have other options if you wanted to jump ship. The Fed's wont push you around like that company

10. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:21 AM
    Roberto123

Roberto123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    robert
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tarcoma SR 4X4 Dbl Cab
    Is extended travel/relocation common for a structural engineer? I worked in Bush Alaska for a few years, I worked in one location, but many people had professions where they worked away from home for extended periods.

11. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:32 AM
    AZ_J

Member:
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    I wouldn't know. I know we send engineers off all around the world as we deal with the mining industry, but usually only for short time periods. Our CM guys will be on contract and be sent with their families to wherever in the world

Roberto123[QUOTED] likes this.
To Top