1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worst week of owning my Taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mdenesha34, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Mar 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    mdenesha34

mdenesha34 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Rochester NY
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD
    First, check engine is on.. EVAP codes. Replace gas cap, they are taken care of. Couple days ago, its starts to misfire... replace bad plug wires and change out the plugs. Not misfiring anymore. Parking brake light comes on last night. Bell crank is seized up! Sprayed with some PBlaster and took a hammer to it today, no luck! Plus last night, the "howl" sound that I wasn't sure if I was hearing or not for the past few weeks gets louder... I wasn't hearing things, its real. Howling whenever I accelerate and pretty much through all speeds. Doesn't howl when I am coasting. I've been told it could possibly be pinion bearing gone bad!

Can I still drive my truck (I'm guessing no) without doing more damage, and how severe is this problem?

Don't have another vehicle to drive... its cold as hell out, might be driving my motorcycle.

FML

2. Mar 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    My truck howled on and off, was actually just the tires. Especially at low speeds, but at times it never howled...So what's that tell you? Idk.

Shit breaks, it happens. Today I climbed 5 Wind turbines to fix unbeleivably stupid faults that just happen for no reason. Nothing will last forever. Sorry for the bad luck.

How many miles are on your truck?

3. Mar 20, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Rotate your tires. If the howling changes, it's the tires. If not, time to check the diff. Either way, check the diff fluid.

4. Mar 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    ROFL!! :rockband:

5. Mar 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    mdenesha34

Member:
    Rochester NY
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD
    I'll check the diff. fluid tomorrow morning. Shitty thing is, I just had the rear diff. fluid changed 6 months ago. Truck has 145,000 miles on it, bought with 95,000 miles on it 3 years ago... this is actually the first problem I have had with it, so I can't complain.

I'll rotate the tires too.. but earlier tonight, I was crawling around under it, and there seems to be some moisture where the driveshaft goes into the rear diff. Looks like it could be a small leak. I won't know until I check the fluid level.

6. Mar 23, 2011 at 3:34 PM
    mdenesha34

Member:
    Rochester NY
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD
    So, its snowed 6" here in Rochester NY today.. Still coming down pretty good too! So I brought it to a local garage instead of checking myself, and it was about 3 quarts low. I also found the receipts from a year ago when I last had the rear diff. fluid changed by Delta Sonic. Is it possible they didn't fill it up enough?

7. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    3 quarts low for the rear diff. ? You mean it had no fluid at all ?? I don't think they hold 3 quarts but I digress, maybe a diff leak ?

8. Mar 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    mdenesha34

Member:
    Rochester NY
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD
    The shop I was at said 3 quarts low... then again they may have been exaggerating so that they could just charge me for the extra quart of gear oil. They showed me w/ a makeshift dipstick how low it was, but I know I was charged for 3 quarts.

Anyone have a used 3rd for sale, w/ elocker?

9. Mar 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    They only take like 1.8 Qts........................................

10. Mar 26, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    mdenesha34

Member:
    Rochester NY
    Vehicle:
    2002 SR5 TRD
    Dealership just quoted me $3300!

$1700 for the diff. work to replace the bearings, and then on top of that they said that I needed to replace the diff case because the entire thing was rusting/rotted out. I've sprayed my undercarriage w/ the rustproofing for the past 3 years too.

I'll take a pic and poste it to see what you guys think of it.

$3300 just isn't in my budget! Stealership is an understatement!

Products Discussed in

To Top