1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would like to buy a taco soon (TRD OFF ROAD) but need some help with questions quick.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SPDK1LZ, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jan 28, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    SPDK1LZ

SPDK1LZ [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi,
    Looking to buy a taco soon, but I do have a couple quick questions that I have not been able to find out for the life of me so any help is greatly appreciated!::help:

I'd be looking for a TRD Off Road equipped taco. I would love one! I know they are known to be bullet proof but these 4 things have been really hard to find.

First, what kind of differentials does it have? I know that the rear is lockable- but- can you still lock it in 4 high (because many only allow you to lock the rear in 4 LO)? Also, when it isn't locked, what does it default to? Limited slip or open?

Second, when you put the truck in 4 high, does it lock the fronts or simply turns it into a limited slip diff and when its not in 4 wheel drive I'm assuming its open.

Third, is it just me or are they still drum brakes in the back and if so- do many people change them to discs?

And lastly, why does everyone say they have a weak tailgate? What exactly goes wrong there?

Thank you a ton! I really didn't know who to ask anymore and the dealership had no clue!

2. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    kctacoma

kctacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kurt
    morgantown,IN
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma sr5 TRD offroad
    hey man i just bot one 2 weeks ago!!awesome lil truck. mise is a double cab TRD offroad package. the diff will only lock in 4lo. it does default to a limited slip. i dont kno on the 4hi question about whether its limited slip in front or open. i wud say open. aint found out on the weak tailgate yet. ive been a diesel owner for the past 5 yrs and dont plan on goin back!!! The taco is everything i need!!!

3. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    tailgate problems are fixed on the new ones i think

4. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Tailgate issue remedied. Not an issue on '09 or '10 model years.

5. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    1. Stock it only locks in 4Lo. You can remedy this by doing the locker mod. This allows it to lock whenever you want it to and is a ton of fun! :D Pretty easy to do, kind of freaks you out a bit to cut wires in a new truck but I did it the first week I had it.

2. The front diff is an open diff. When you're in 4hi or 4lo it's still an open diff, no locker or limited slip up front, the power goes to the path of least resistance. If you have the locker engaged you'll essentially have 3 wheels driving at all times.

3. yep, drums in the back. It's pretty spendy to convert them to disks, the drums work fine.

4. weak tailgate has been fixed apparently, I was lucky enough to get a hold of a gator saver before Seth quit making them.

5. Sounds like a retarded salesman, they should at least know the basic operation of the vehicles they're selling!

Hope this helps!

Edit: This applies to 05-07 at least, not sure if/how much the newer electronic controls affect things. I like to be able to take it sideways without beeping and blinking lights.

6. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Great Info. good post.

7. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    VeNoMiZeD

VeNoMiZeD Well-Known Member

Member:
    So is it safe to put a Gixxer 600 or R6 on the bed/tailgate lid without it breaking or bending the tailgate? Thanks!

8. Jan 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Welcome to TW from TX.
    They are great trucks.

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    SPDK1LZ

SPDK1LZ [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cool thanks a ton this really helps! Yeah I'll probably end up doing the locker mod like you did- but with help (haha) yeah I'll want someone else with me for the "cutting wires on a new truck" part.

Do you know if anyone does any kind of locker mod for the front or does it go through a lot as it is?

10. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    SPDK1LZ

SPDK1LZ [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks so much guys this really helps! Keep'em coming if anyone has some of the newest years for the taco! Getting a feel for what year I will get is huge!

11. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    There is a write up on how to do the rear locker mod on here somewhere, try the "search"

there is no locker for the front. You would need to add one yourself. like and ARB air locker, etc...

12. Jan 29, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    camiliosalomanda

camiliosalomanda Well-Known Member

Member:
    McKinney, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Super White
    Grill Craft Hella 500 Bed Aux Wet Okole Wet Okole Arm Rests Weather Tech Magnaflow OS Ram Night Breakers Rocky Mounts Custom IPOD Dock Pioneer AVH P4100 Relentless Sliders AnBCustomFab Bed Rack 3 Inch Icon Lift with leaf pack
    Most of these answers have been posted on here a thousand times but i feel your pain as i still dont quite understand the 9 different drive modes of button configurations.

I just get in something deep and put her in 4 HI and drive it like i stole it. Hasnt failed me yet and I have went places that jeeps with 6 inch lifts and 35s and duramax's with 33's cant go.

13. Jan 29, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    if you are buing new, tacoma has $500 cash back or 1.9%apr promo till march.

14. Jan 31, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    SPDK1LZ

SPDK1LZ [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the info guys. So far I have one confirmation that the rear defaults to limited slip instead of open. Anyone else able to confirm that?

15. Jan 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    08TRD Sport

08TRD Sport ROOTIN AROUND

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Augusta, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    10 5th Gen 4Runner
    No problems with 08 tailgates

Products Discussed in

To Top