1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you support gift to soldier families?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BlueT, May 2, 2011.

?

Would you support paying extra taxes for gov to give free homes to soldiers

1. Yes I would agree to pay extra taxes to cover this

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No I would not agree to pay extra taxes to cover this

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. I have to see details first

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. May 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    even if u pay 1200 dollars a month in repairs for say a year. its still less than what youll pay for a home. ill take a shitty home will tons of repairs if it was free.

2. May 2, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I agree! And better yet make that donation in one of your friends names that is active duty and give that to them.

3. May 2, 2011 at 7:44 AM

52419 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someplace
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma lifted 6in on 35s
    fabtech 6in lift, 35.12.50.16s,on mt classics
    i know its our job to do what we do and that we volunteered to do this but if you saw some of the housing that we get delt with no other options or say in the house you would agree with what is being put on the table, i mean how would you like to inherit a home that someone else has trashed beyond all beleif. what im getting at is yeha we get homes but they are not free by any means we are however supposed to have free maint. but that never happens last winter my water heater went out and flooded my living room and ruined my carpet, i called the housing office and they told me they would be there to fix it, what did i get 5 days with a fan under my carpet exposed nails and a smaller water heater that goes out all the damn time, this last summer my supposed brand new ac unit went out, im stationed in ft polk were talkin 90 degrees with 1 billion percent humidity so id wake up each morning take a shower thn wash my bed sheets and blankets from sweating throughout the night, the kids that live in the neighbor hood keyed my wifes car and knifed our rear tires nice right mps said eh cant prove who did it so your sol i called housing again and asked if i could put up some kind of fence, nope its not uniform, i asked to be relocated nope not happening the houses we "get for free" suck ass its like the ghetto in africa lol so if they just took the money and updated the housing shit i would be happy.

4. May 2, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Thats not the point. What is fair about me getting a hassle free rather large home that will cost me nothing, while you get a home that you have to spend that much on ($1200 x 12 = $14400) for a barely adequate home for your needs? Who makes these decisions or determining factors?

Also, not sure if you know this, but I am on your side, I don't think we should do this.

5. May 2, 2011 at 7:45 AM
    BlueT

BlueT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    hmm
    First: Economics- 2/3 of US GDP is internal consumption. Housing is big part of it. Housing is screwed up because lots of them were build and potential buyers are in Iraq and Afganistan or on the missions around the globe. This will reduce inventory, stop price decline and prevent another bubble.

Second: Social - People overseas spent time loosing skills, having to deal with long distance relationship. bringing them back to unemployemnt and now have to deal with stress of finding the job and paying rent/mortgage can be problematic. Mortgage free home would allow people to focus on personal development and "getting back" instead putting pressure on finding any job to pay mortgage or rent. Its goign to cost lest in unemployement and definetely be easier on our pockets long term.

Third: Being a citizen. I think my English is pretty bad because I have a feeling some people would like to keep soldiers oversea like pets because that's somehow cheaper, convenient to do. Also people angry about person getting piece of land that he fought for it? While people were partying, buying new trucks and spending money on mods. Those soldiers went and did the right thing.
    :rolleyes: Come on you can not be that selfish and be jealous that somebody would get free home. Can you?

6. May 2, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    I dont see why as I stated before my whole family serves, I can add my step brother to that as well who has also been in 6 years. They have not lost any skills or jobs since going to Iraq. They come back home to there jobs wives and kids and when its there time to go back they do so. I bet if you offered my brothers and father a home they would not take it. As I said they have homes and get paid steady money to own a home. You want to talk about spending money my brother is in Iraq and bought a Raptor his wife has it waiting for him to get home he also bought his wife a brand new car.

7. May 2, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    So maybe work out something where they get temporary housing until they get on their feet?

Most people did not do this, most people struggled themselves with being able to keep gas in their vehicles to get to work and keep their jobs. Yet, there are troops who don't have a care in the world when they get back so they spend thier money on doing the same?

Raising taxes would not be the way to do it, but if moving funds around could provide support for them when they return, then I am for it.

8. May 2, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    brettb

brettb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '99 Tacoma
    x2 they are going to do something back.

9. May 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Word temporary is a key here. Temporary housing won't give piece of mind. Giving keys and saying "here its yours" will remove the stress.

I have yet to see 2gen with Satoshi grill, 6 inch lift and chrome wheels on Baghdad plates. Somehow I dont think thats popular option in combat zone.
    I understand that people struggle financially in US but I am pretty sure there are plenty of soldiers who struggle financially and dodge bullets in the same time.

10. May 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I agree with this 100%. Those who are willing and able should help the troops without getting the government involved. A government run program would be highly inefficient and very expensive

I disagree with your arguments. Soldiers learn a trade and some are there because they went through an ROTC program in college and had their education paid for already. The reason we're all able to afford our trucks is because we work very hard and take offense to the statement that we're all out foolishly blowing our money or your statement about leaving our soldiers overseas because it's convenient. Our soldiers will most likely remain overseas for a period of time because there is a real threat of retaliation. I have a lot of close friends overseas and want them to come home just as much as anyone but know it will not happen tomorrow just because Osama got one between the eyes.

The soldiers made the decision to protect this country when they signed up and there are a lot of programs in place to help the veterans when they return already. It has nothing to do with being selfish or jealous, I'd love to see the soldiers get a free home but I don't feel our economy could support the effort.

11. May 2, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    WMDtech

WMDtech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4X4, White, DCSB
    None... sigh
    Like the initiative in the house thing, but I have to agree that money to a charity that supports wounded Soldiers would be much better spent, Wounded Warrior Project. I can honestly say that I really haven't met that many Soldiers who are without housing. The government will provide housing to Soldiers, and it's on base and close to work. We get additional pay, based on rank, for housing, so really the government is already taking care of it. Now some people will say that it's not enough, but that's there opinions. Just my thoughts.

12. May 2, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    There are way too many intricacies and loopholes/pitfalls to a plan like this-specially a gov't run plan.

Someone else said it already-Donate to a private charity that helps troops, welcome the troops that come home to your area, and help the American people in general.

13. May 2, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    If they raised taxes for housing you can guarentee that it will not go to housing alone. It would get spread around and and not used for its intended purpose. It would be the camp commanders discreation and housing office to decide how to use it. Everyone agrees that the base housing offices suck, do you realy trust them to fix the problems already in place?

14. May 2, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    so you're putting soldiers in projects?

No, I don't support that. Either as a taxpayer, or as a servicemember. I'd just like to come home.

15. May 2, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    No not really, there are around 20 foreclosed homes in my small town. 2-4 bedrooms each with few acres of land each. I would not mind 20 services family moving in.
    Also I dont see this as mandatory thing. People who dont want would not have to take it or participated in this. But I am pretty sure there are plenty people that need help.

16. May 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    BlueT

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I dont think that would go through military or need to. More likely directly handled by Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae with no input from military.

17. May 2, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    i said yes but i think it should be only for the soldiers that are in need of a house. Not some crazy huge house but something big enough to keep their family in.... I feel bad for those guys coming home with ptsd, can't get a job, can't get a house... living on the streets after they just protected our freedom.

18. May 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    :thumbsup:
    As a retired veteran I agree wholeheartedly.
    If you want to give, give of your time or give to the Wounded Warrior Project.

Join a local community military-focused group or organization that really helps the service members families, wounded veterans, homeless vets etc. or fallen heroes. This directly impacts & makes a difference NOW.
    There are countless VA organizations and events that happen you could make a difference without having to initiate a bill.

It would take at least 30 thousand gov't workers, a congressional committee, a sub-committee, layers of approval processes & paperwork to make this happen & someone else will get rich besides those who really need it.

19. May 2, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    Well most bases have some kind of requirment to fill on base housing before allowing off base housing to be used so yes, there would be some military interaction.

Didnt we already see the debacle with Freddie and Fannie? We would see predatory relestate and banks unloading shit holw houses on unsuspecting military families. 22 year just returned from Afghan just wants to get in a house he isnt going to spend the neccessary time to make sure the foundation isnt caving in or the roof leaking, drywall causing wire corosiotn, etc...

Not a good idea. Hold these housing offices feet to the fire to provide adequate housing on base. if you have run into a situation were your housing sucks and all means to rectify this issues have come up empty handed write your senator. A few letters and phone calls can do a lot.

20. May 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    That's what is wrong with this country. Too many freebies and handouts.

What the OP is saying is no different that projects.

So I vote no.

Products Discussed in

To Top