1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wrangler Diesel deposit(Taco for sale)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by midlife4X4fix, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mar 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    My previous post had number imperfections (blaming it on the hour I lost) v6 3.0 would have 500 mp per cylinder and 4 cylinder 750ml. 6.6 was calculated correctly though

2. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    midlife4X4fix

midlife4X4fix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
    Good points but most all truck stops have car-light truck pumps as well

3. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
    Profit is not a bad word

4. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Here in the NW , there seems to always be a diesel pump at every station. I don't know of one that doesn't. And as said above , most truck stops I know have gas and diesel for noncommercial (us mostly). We'd have to fake having no access to diesel over here.

5. Mar 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm not talking about the stops on the highways, I'm talking about a true truck stop. There are a few where I grew up that only had the big rig fuel fillers. They aren't meant to have commuters in there.

Certainly not, as long as there is good competition along the way to keep everyone honest and coming up with new ideas. When someone dominates a market sector, nothing will change until they get challenged.

6. Mar 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    Merchantmarine

Merchantmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southern New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road D.C.
    Wet Okole TRD seat covers, Extang Trifecta, TRD Exhaust cat back, TRD Front skid plate-for-looks. Michelin AT2 265-75-16 tires. WeatherTech front and rear
    X2 Good point

7. Mar 12, 2013 at 4:49 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If you are white and not of First American or First Nations blood then that is probably where your heritage came from.

8. Mar 12, 2013 at 4:58 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd

9. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    A common misconception.
    In fact the diesel market is exploding!
    It has increased 240% in the last 6 years.
    Why do you think every major and minor manufacturer is going with or about to launch more diesel powered cars in their line.
    Ah dur......

Ps your avatar is perfect

10. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    maybe its just me but haven't seen ford, gm, or chrysler throwing diesels in small cars lately?

And where did you get your numbers?

11. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    The big lie was that Hybrids were the way to go.
    The carbon footprint made just in the production and eventual recycling of a Hybrid FAR outweighs the benefit of it in its normal lifetime.
    Diesels are quiet, efficient, and powerful. They also emit less harmful gasses than the average Hybrid.

12. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    From Porsche when they were educating us on the Cayenne Diesel launch.
    Overnight, the diesel became our hottest seller(west coast) and it has the least tailpipe emissions of any of our cars period.
    We are currently sold out for the next 3 months of production.
    They have been selling before they arrive for the last 6 months.
    Once people hear how good they are it's a no brainer.
    If someone bails on one we make a few phone calls so that we can offer test drives. The car is sold that day or the next at the latest.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  13. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I would believe that the diesel market is growing but it's growing from an almost dead state. Also, you have to isolate just small displacement diesels for purposes of this discussion, something that you'd see in a half ton pickup or smaller. BMW, Audi and VW have done a decent job implementing small diesels into their vehicles but notice they are not very extensively advertised (except VW). Ford, Toyota and GM have not made any mention of bringing a diesel into their line ups, in fact they seem to be more focused on hybrids, electric cars or the eco-boost engine. So far, the only one who's newly taking the plunge into small displacement diesels is Chrysler/Dodge with their Jeep and Ram line-up.

14. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    Did you not hear that GM is offering the VW2.0L in one of their small cars next year? They made the announcement a few weeks ago.

15. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    What diesel powered Toyota is being launched in the US? Honda? Nissan? Hyundai? Kia? Ford? Chevy has the Cruze coming and Mazda has their 2.2 on the way for the 6 along with the diesel Grand Cherokee and Ram. Am I missing others? You clearly have a different view of market saturation than I do. My point is people act like the majority of consumers are clamoring for diesels. Single digit percentages of over all vehicle sales doesn't really back that up.

16. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Ford has stated that they do not forsee diesels in the car lineup in the near future. GM has announced plans for a diesel version of the Cruze.

Diesels have grown in popularity in Europe over the past several years, but not necessarily for efficiency. There is a large tax on gasoline in Europe, making diesel more appealing to the consumer. The opposite is true in the US. Diesel fule carries $.06 more tax per gallon than gasoline. The demand in Europe is also one of the big reasons for the increased price of diesel.

17. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    Not to piss in the punch bowl but...
    MIT has a working gasoline powered diesel.
    If it goes mainstream(expected in 3-1/2 years) it will revolutionize the cars we drive. A 30% increase in fuel economy and it uses the existing gasoline infrastructure.
    No spark plugs, way more torque and MPG as usual!

18. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'll believe it when I see it. Lots of schools' research programs have come up with ways to make things more efficient, more powerful, better range, etc but very few of those ideas make it to production, even fewer in 3.5 years. There have been a whole slew of new engine designs that have been proposed by various companies or individuals, none of which are being used by any major car manufacturer. Not trying to sandpaper your toilet seat, but realistically I don't think we'll see that for many, many years (if at all). Believe me, I'd actually like to be proven wrong on this one. I do want to see new ideas in the auto industry.

19. Mar 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    It will obviously depend on the price of the diesel engine option.

Hypothetically, let say Toyota was to offer diesel for the Tacoma. Let say it was a $2500 option, but offering significantly better mpg. Let say they make it available as an option thoughout their Tacoma lineup, not only for top trims as TRD & Limited. I would be ok to give up my TRD for an SR5 to even out the price difference. In another words, I would get SR5 diesel Taco instead of a TRD gas Taco for the same price.

I wonder if I'm in the minority. Just a hypothetical scenario and another point of view to discuss.

20. Mar 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    You have a good point

Products Discussed in

To Top