1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wrangler Diesel deposit(Taco for sale)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by midlife4X4fix, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    Denteen

Denteen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Central valley CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    TRD Pro suspension-2nd Gen Frontrunner bed rack Tacowiede radio knobs! Best mod everrrr!!! DSM mount Wheel swap to OR’s. For now... Gone-2005 DC Icon Stage 2 with Rear Resis;ICON 3 leaf AAL installed! Gone-2001 xcab 4x4 4cyl 5spd. Best truck ever...
    I always thought I would go back to a Wrangler if they had a diesel...the ride quality is just not there, the OR capability obviously is. Too expensive for a new one tho.

I love my Taco, but the Mpg sucks, it may as well have a small V8 in it, and I guarantee the mpg would be better. How can my old Sequoia get the same mpg?

Good luck with purchase of the diesel. My next economy car will likely be a VW TDI. That helps subsidize my MPG challenged FJ and Tacoma.

Turning in my Prius in two months, lease over! Afraid to buy that sucker!

2. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Yeh man. I want to buy American and I want SO BAD for them to just work. The wife was in love with the styling for a long time and it's the opposite of the tacoma. SO MANY features.. but when you can't get through a 36 month lease without having major mechanical problems with three consecutive jeeps? Fagettaboutit.

3. Mar 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I haven't driven one yet, just riden along in several of them. My cousin and a few co-workers have them and they are very smooth. I rode in one hemi and the rest had the smaller V8. The smaller V8 actually had good power and pickup and a smoother shifting transmission. The hemi was a bit more of a beast, lots of power and the delivery wasn't exactly subtle. I liked the interior but that's just personal preference. I thought everything was comfortable. All that being said, the ones I rode in were within 6 months of brand new and the only one I see regularly is the one my cousin owns. So far, his is holding up very well, so much so that they bought a Durango as a second vehicle.

I hear you about the Toyo Kool-Aid :laugh: So far, my Tacoma has had the highest cost of ownership out of any of my previous vehicles. It's got a lot of life left in it but there have been a lot of stupid and annoying (and expensive) repairs along the way and more to come I'm sure...

4. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    midlife4X4fix

midlife4X4fix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
    Have you ever enjoyed the benefits of a diesel?
    Mobs of torque ang huge MPG!
    On the highway it should get 25-30 mpg, about 60% better than my Taco and with amazing torque.
    An 8spd auto and the Benz diesel motor is well worth the $4500

5. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
    I sell Porsches and the diesel market seent is exploding!
    I guarantee that at least 30% of Jeep Wranglers will be diesel by the second sales year.

6. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    There is a DOT list of cars that have been certified for US sale but you still have to spend about $8-10k(EPA Lab charges, etc) to get a car IN. I have brought in three cars that way. Mercedes E60, Audi Sport quattro and an Audi RS4 Avant.
    A pick up truck just doesn't make $$ sense.

7. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    DirtEater

DirtEater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    MPG wouldn't be the ONLY advantage. The 4.0L might be better for guys that just want to cruise, and even that would be personal preference. But that Diesel in a Tacoma would easily make the 4.0L look wimpy when you hook up to 6K lbs or more. Take it through the mountains and that Diesel wins every time. It will pull at 2000 rpms or so while the Tacoma is screaming at 4000 or more up the slightest grade. That's just how a gasser is. So that 4.0L hp and torque is not better.

8. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    The liberty had the POS 4 cyl the Wrangler gets the 3.0L from the ML and the 8speed trans as well or I won't get it.
    Plus it's just a toy. If it works out bad I will move on to a Tacoma diesel HOPEFULLY!

9. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    My Taco has already "fallen apart". The drivers window track destroyed itself at 10,000 miles! Not what I expected from a Toyo either.

10. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    DirtEater

DirtEater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    Don't let the blind die hard guys get you down. You'll find them on any forum. I've been on Cummins/Ram forums since 2005 and they will attack you if you say anything negative about the mighty Cummins. I got out of mine and just picked up a 2013 Tacoma over the weekend. Hoping I have better luck than you.

With any luck you'll get things resolved with yours.

11. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    It's not a Benz diesel. It is a VM Motori engine, an Italian company owned by Fiat. The same engine manufacturer as the 2.8 that is in my Liberty.

12. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    Correct, 2015
    2014 diesel Cherokees are now being ordered by the dealers.

13. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    TexasCub

TexasCub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner
    If that's what you define as your Taco falling apart, boy are you in for an experience as a Chrysler/Jeep owner!

14. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    I have owned 6 diesels. All 40-53 mpg highway.
    And never one issue other than normal maintenance.

15. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    The motor and trans have been in the Benzes for a few years and the fact that the Cherokee is getting it now works for me. I will order a Rubicon with a soft top, roll up windows, and no options at all. I like simple.

16. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    READ THE ARTICLE. It is NOT a Benz engine.

17. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    LOL!
    Toyota needs to bring trick shit to the US market. It is complete BS that the Tacoma has no diesel and V8 option!

18. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    ^^^

Might want to make sure you're getting the engine/trans combo you think you're getting...

19. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    midlife4X4fix

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    I live in California

20. Mar 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    TexasCub

TexasCub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner
    Cuz Toyota is having such a hard time selling em and keeping their resale value up right?????

Products Discussed in

To Top