1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wreck and won't align

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Blackhawk131, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:32 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    I think you got that backwards.

2. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    Blackhawk131

Blackhawk131 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok I am a little confused after watching some videos. How is taking the tie rods apart going to fix the steering? If they unscrew them they will have to screw back to the same point for toe.
    I get the rack is not centered but toe is to be set either way. I would think based off what you said once toe is set they should 1/4 difference in thread length.

3. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    No, I did not because you are adjusting the location of the outer, the outer is the piece that physically moves. The inner is in a fixed location and does not move.

4. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    You have to turn the inner to adjust. The outer does not turn for toe adjustment

5. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    Blackhawk131

Member:
    That is my point, even if you unscrew you would have to turn it back to get toe set again.

6. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    I don't think your problem is with your tie rods. It's probably an issue of the way your steering shaft is stabbed onto the rack.

7. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:05 PM
    Blackhawk131

Member:
    Ok but nothing was done with the rack. If the tires are straight and steering wheel centered, the only thing I could see is the rack wasn't centered when put together. That is the only thing I can figure. But like the other guy said, if this is off is it screwing with the other alignment issues?

8. Sep 3, 2017 at 9:06 PM
    Blackhawk131

Member:
    I did put some pictures in that link and the length of threads were about 1/4 difference.

9. Sep 3, 2017 at 10:03 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    Absolutely not. I'm not saying there is nothing wrong with your steering settings, but that is definitely not affecting the caster/camber or preventing the caster/camber from being adjusted. They're completely different measurements.

You need a better alignment shop. They're not understanding what needs to happen.

10. Sep 4, 2017 at 12:52 PM
    Blackhawk131

Member:
    What needs to happen? Caster and camber are set, but from what they are telling me once caster is set it throws camber out. What would cause this issue?

11. Sep 4, 2017 at 12:53 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    Sounds like they aren't aligning it right...

Justinlhc likes this.
  12. Sep 4, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Well duh...but why is this so f-n hard to understand - the inner does not physically change position the outer moves. By turning the inner the outer moves in or out
    toe absolutely does come into the equation. the toe is one more constraining factor for the alignment. toe is holding the spindle in a fixed position and if it is off significantly it does restrict adjustment. talk to anyone that actually does alignments and they will tell you that all three factors affect the others.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  13. Sep 4, 2017 at 1:27 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Then it really makes no sense that your lock to lock is not equal, you need someone to start over completely with your alignment and not just do a " touch up " trying to make the existing factors work out.

14. Sep 4, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    The OP isn't very clear. He said he had the knuckles swapped out then he said there was a bent knuckle. Did you get the knuckles from a junkyard? What shop is aligning the truck? Are they using the stack and drag procedure? What does your thrust line look like? Exactly what parts were swapped out? Are the parts new? Aftermarket? Oem? Junkyard pulls?

15. Sep 4, 2017 at 1:54 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:

No, his toe is not preventing his caster from being corrected. Not at all. Not even a little bit. His toe isn't even off so once again, no. His toe has absolutely nothing to do with his caster.

16. Sep 23, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    Blackhawk131

Member:
    I am going to do my best to sum up what I have learned. Bottom line there was nothing wrong with my alignment nor the suspension.

I met with my alignment guy who has been doing this for 30 years and he told me that there is no way to get caster back into a lifted 4x4. It just isn't possible with stock setup. So after having him talk with Camburg they too agreed that these numbers could be expected. Even after replacing the uppers there still was no difference. Camburg even offered to very the original set and found no issues. Later that day I called wheelers to talk with them about the SPC uppers and I told him about the caster numbers. He then asked me how much was the truck lifted and SPC specs even stated that with a 3 inch lift those were the number to expect. Out of this process I am shocked Camburg didn't know or didn't asked my trucks setup which could have saved me a LOT of time. Either way the front end is all new and sure drives like a new truck again, so I guess that is good.

Bottom line, it is not fair too look at an alignment sheet and say it is wrong unless you know the specifics of the vehicle. Not being stock changes everything. I hope my rabbit chasing will save someone else down the road.

17. Sep 23, 2017 at 8:53 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Yes, yes it is unless you're at a 3" lift with stock uppers. You have camburg uppers which should make it easy to get a lifted Tacoma AT LEAST in-spec. Also, being a 4wd makes absolutely zero difference in terms of alignment vs a 2wd Tacoma. The components are exactly the same as far as the alignment goes.
    Camburg told you to expect out of spec alignment numbers with their upper arms? I find that hard to believe. That's one of their selling points(caster correction).

The shop STILL could not bring the alignment into spec?? Did they try??

Ummmm no. That is absolutely 100% incorrect. SPC arms offer a ridiculous amount of adjustability. You can add several degrees of caster above stock and deduct several degrees of camber. That is a 100% false statement.

I think what is happening here is you're not relaying information properly therefor you're not receiving accurate information.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  18. Sep 23, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:

You posted an alignment sheet showing negative caster on a Tacoma with a 3" lift and camburg upper control arms. It's safe to say either the frame is twisted into a pretzel or the alignment wasn't properly performed. Those are the only two possible options.

Something is horribly bent or the alignment wasn't performed properly if you have negative caster with a 3" lift and camburg arms.

19. Sep 23, 2017 at 9:17 PM
    Blackhawk131

Member:
    You are correct on the negative. It doesn't have negative caster anymore, that was the shop that was doing it incorrectly because they kept trying to get factor castor which is not possible. That said it has very little caster which camburg did agree with the shop technician that is possible despite what you think. Camburg's control do not say you will be in the stock with 1.4 + range, they say to add as much caster without loosing camber. If I add more positive I will rub with the 33's. My alignment guy told me we cannot go negative because it would drive like crap as you well know. Like I told you wheelers mentioned the same thing. So don't come in hear coming at me.

I am glad that you seem to have everything figured out, but I have checked everything. You tried to bring the frame into the picture, that was put back on the machine weeks ago and was well within specs like the first time it was checked. The truck drives great, no pulling and has some positive caster. But I know it will never nor can it use factor castor with the truck that high. Thanks for playing....

20. Sep 23, 2017 at 9:36 PM
    Justinlhc

Member:
    Yes, it can and has been done on any other truck on this site lol. You don't have some unicorn Tacoma. You're not the first guy to lift a Tacoma 3" on camburg uppers. On SPC arms this is even more true.

Look buddy, I'm trying to help you based on the vague information you provide. I'm glad your alignment is fixed now and does not have negative caster anymore(meaning it WAS not aligned properly).

Good luck. :hattip:

For comparison, here is a recently posted sheet from a 15' that has a 2.5" lift on stock uppers. Still in spec with plenty of caster and reasonable camber. You're 1/2" higher with camburg uppers.

IMG_3916.jpg

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top