1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wright's lk Rd. Wheelin, winching, backpacking trip

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by hikerduane, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Jan 5, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    hikerduane

hikerduane [OP] Stove & lantern collector, retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Meadow Valley, Jefferson USA
    Vehicle:
    '16 Blazing Blue Pearl TRD Sport AC V6 manual, tow pkg
    RCI sliders fuel tank skid plate, Softopper, tailgate insert
    A couple friends invited me for a two night winter backpacking trip to try to bag Pyramid Peak in Desolation Wilderness, we made it into Lyons Lake the second day out of our backcountry base camp. Tried to drive up the Wright's Lake Road a little bit too far, went in a little under three miles. Should have paid more attention to a couple ruts and limbs in the ditch. All three of us got stuck at least once. With my stock tired truck, I got turned around by some dirt, making my way out, then got stuck in the sugar snow, hanging up because snowmobiles had the center packed down and when we hung up or scraped too much, we'd spin out wheels and be there as the center was pretty hard. One friend had traction boards, chains, strap, pulley and most important, a winch. Someone tried to go in after we left out vehicles, his clue should have been our three Tacos parked along the road. Someone with way bigger tires and clearance did make it past the TH we went up, but they had a little issue in one spot. Snow where hung up was maybe 20" or more, little further close to 24". Where we camped around 30". Lyons Lake was 5 miles from the Trailhead, 8400' elev. Sorry left out we snow shoed all of that.
    Duane
    IMG_5108_opt.jpg IMG_5127_opt.jpg IMG_5132_opt.jpg IMG_5131_opt.jpg IMG_5129_opt.jpg IMG_5135_opt.jpg IMG_5118_opt.jpg IMG_5122_opt.jpg IMG_5133_opt.jpg IMG_5123_opt.jpg

Heath75, Toynado, BudMan and 5 others like this.
  2. Jan 5, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    2BeersPlease

2BeersPlease Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks like a good time.

3. Jan 5, 2019 at 5:51 PM
    hikerduane

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    We were loving the being stuck, mostly gave my younger friend a chance to use the tools he has been packing. When he was pulling his winch cable out, the Allen screw that keeps it attached to the spool was loose and allowed the cable to come off, so he spent 20 minutes maybe to rethread the end. He used his snatch block once. Lucky he had enough cable and straps, but we had dug the white truck out and I knocked down the middle snow, so that friend made it close enough to where all my other friends cables weren't needed. Snow was very loose after going over it a few times, unlike the snow at Sawmill Lake a week ago. (See that trip)
    We were able to slide and glissade some after leaving Lyons Lake.
    Duane

2BeersPlease likes this.
  4. Jan 7, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Was up there at Lyons for an overnight in the fall with a few buds. We hit Pyramid from Sylvia which is definitely not an easy approach and probably worse in the winter depending on the route. Were you able to make it up to Pyramid? Looks beautiful and cold!

5. Jan 7, 2019 at 12:56 PM
    hikerduane

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    Our getting stuck for a couple hours set us back, otherwise we might have gone in further the first day. All of us made it to Lyons Lake, one friend wanted to hit the ridge to the north so we waited about 80 minutes for him to round trip it. They want to go this Spring, both my friends had been up in the area recently. I bagged Pyramid Peak maybe 20 years ago from Lake of the Woods.
    Duane

6. Jan 8, 2019 at 9:51 AM
    Don5352

Don5352 Liberty or Death

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC TRD OR
    Some really cool shit
    I've backpacked into Lyons Lake. Great spot. Looks nice with snow on the ground.

7. Jan 8, 2019 at 12:57 PM
    hikerduane

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    Vehicle:
    Two of us walked across Lyons while our other friend went up the ridge to the north. Old cracks across the ice. Had lunch up there and filled our water bottles below the small dam. Don't know when they want to go again this year, maybe right after most of the snow melts.
    Duane

8. Jan 8, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    Don5352

Don5352 Liberty or Death

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Oakland, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC TRD OR
    Some really cool shit
    I went in one June and should have brought snow shoes. Clear and sunny. Several feet of snow. Knee deep in some spots. Came in from Echo Lake. Camped at Pyramid Lake. Hiked to the Peak. Great trip. 4 days. Long time ago. Hiked up Horsetail Falls once, in snowshoes. That was some day.

Products Discussed in

To Top