1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WS transmission fluid is garbage . Get it out of your transmission now

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gearcruncher, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Sep 22, 2019 at 10:59 AM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    I think the implication with doing a flush with an older trans is that there could be metal shavings or particals from the trans break in or thru wear that may get stirred up in the pan and get then gets passed thru the trans in effect running metal particals thru the trans and may damage it. its basically up to each individual to decide what ATF fluid and method of changing the ATF out based on valid information and then make ur own decision.

2. Sep 22, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    CutthroatSlam

CutthroatSlam Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    When you do a flush, you drop and clean the pan first and install a new filter. Anyone who does a flush without cleaning the pan and replacing the filter is nuts and asking for trouble.

3. Sep 22, 2019 at 1:48 PM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    technically yes if you want to do it like that, its up to the individual how they want to do it

4. Sep 22, 2019 at 5:31 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    So drop pan and put in new filter and pump all the crap that might be around into it and leave a filter in that's full of crap? Seems smarter to leave the dirty filter in to catch any "broken free" junk and then put a fresh filter in. Which makes me think of another point, it's not like the new fluid (aside from having refreshed detergents) would magically make stuff "break free" it's a hydraulic system, fluid old or new is pumping through it being filterered with each pass anytime the vehicle is running.

cruiserguy likes this.
  5. Sep 23, 2019 at 5:21 AM
    TheDevilYouLove

TheDevilYouLove You can’t polish a turd, but you can polish a TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marylandistan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab 4x4 silver streak
    After doing a full flush (including dropping the pan/cleaning magnets/replacing filter), I installed a magnafine filter on the return line to the tranny from the cooler. It has a magnet in it to catch any metal particles. Service life is 30,000 miles. I'll do a drain and fill in conjunction with changing the magnetic filter.

6. Sep 23, 2019 at 5:31 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
  7. Sep 23, 2019 at 7:23 AM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    my ATF color looks like the Good Condition color in that Vid, pretty solid information in those videos I was going to do a cooler line flush but I think now im just going to do a pan drain and refill every 30k miles like I have been doing.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    cruiserguy likes this.
  8. Oct 26, 2019 at 10:45 AM
    cruiserguy

cruiserguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elijah
    SLC
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext cab, 2.7L, auto, 4x4
    I know this is old, I just wanted to say for any that may read, that the post I replied to contains very reasonable advice and experience. Actually most, if not every word, is accurate and reasonable. Well said and thanks for sharing as it helps more DIY ers get out of that vicious dealer/service cycle

9. Oct 28, 2019 at 4:15 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    I was one of the people that posted very early on in this topic. I still have the same 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed with the 6 cylinder engine, automatic trans and 2wd Prerunner.

The mileage is a few over 71,000. The transmission, I did a complete flush to remove the Toyota WS fluid and have been running Mobil 1 ATF ever since. The first time the transmission was flushed and filled was on April 26, 2012 at 22709 miles.

In October of 2013, I installed a dedicated cooler for the transmission, eliminating the oem use of passing trans fluid through the radiator and the small secondary oem towing package cooler. Scangage has always indicated transmission fluid temps of around 160f, similar to oem, but cooler than oem when stationary, as in traffic or paused when off road.

On 9/26/2016, at 57315 miles the transmission got another drain, flush and refill. Again the transmission was serviced with Mobil 1 ATF.

Each time, I simply drained the pan, I did not remove the pan or replace the filter. The flush was done by removing the cooler return line. New fluid was added and pumped through the transmission. Each gear position was quickly selected to flush the valve body.

Currently with about 50,000 miles of using Mobil 1 ATF the truck has performed without any concerns to transmission performance.

Simply an update, not an endorsement of what others should do.

Additionally, as I have posted before, the oem secondary trans cooler was converted into a power steering fluid cooler. The power steering system also has been flushed and uses Mobil 1 ATF.

Kolunatic likes this.
  10. Oct 28, 2019 at 6:54 AM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    just an FYI if you didn't know is the Toyota WS ATF is manufactured by MOBIL Corp. as the proprietary fluid for your trans based on specifications provided by the trans manufacturer, MOBIL also is the provider of the Toyota T-IV ATF to Toyota Corp. Would be interesting to see a side by side VOA of the WS and MOBIL1 ATFs to see how they match up. Seems the MOBIL1 is a universal fit ATF whereas the WS is a specific to the A750E auto trans.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  11. Oct 28, 2019 at 10:00 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Yes, I knew this and had the data sheets for the Type IV, WS and Mobil 1 side by side back then. Mobil 1 ATF in my opinion is the superior fluid.

Understand also that in that era, there were no other WS fluids at the time except oem Toyota fluid.

As I posted long ago, almost immediately, the first thing noticed was how smooth the gear shift lever moved compared to WS.

Todays post, like I mentioned, info only, use as you see fit. Back then I also found the articles and more that Gearcruncher likely read. My guess is he asked for permission to post them and it was denied.

The primary concern inside the automatic transmission tends to be the friction plates of the clutches. At the time, when I researched using M1, the parts manuals indicated the clutch plates prior to WS were the same as those used with WS. This certainly lessened any concerns I may have had.

12. Oct 28, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    I believe if you research the Aisin A750 further, you will find other fluids beyond WS are used in these units. WS is a very low viscosity fluid, likely to provide increased fuel mpg. The alarming issue with WS was that when first utilized, Toyota stated the fluid in our trucks was good for 100,000 miles. They later reduced this to 60,000. I am not sure what the final outcome became regarding life of the fluid, but as a general statement, many companies suggest 60,000 on trucks and such under normal use and more frequently with heavier loads.

13. Oct 28, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    my 2 trucks with the 4 speed auto trans I think its the A750F? that takes the T-IV were supposedly considered a lifetime fill, no way. its also very deceiving to wipe the fill stick on these units and see cherry red color and call it good, I recently did 4 pan drain and refills and the color was a lot darker than what it looked like on a white towel this was at 30k miles.

14. Nov 2, 2019 at 6:44 AM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    Abominator likes this.
  15. May 16, 2020 at 1:30 AM
    Dirtjunkie

Dirtjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Colorado.
    2006-Taco-Sport-TRD-Quad Cab-Short Bed, 4x4 No mods to speak of.
    177K on a 2006 Taco with no trans issues. Just finally had all fluids changed in both diffs, transfer case and trans. Went to Toyota and they sold me the WS obviously. I didn’t know there was so much controversy on this fluid until I happened upon this thread 5 hours after picking up my now serviced truck. BTW they charged $200 just for that fluid. Did I take one to the keister?

16. May 16, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Work order should say how many qts. they used. Some say flush takes 12 qts. Some say 13 qts. If they actually flushed the entire system and installed a new filter you are likely OK. There's really no telling what they really did or didn't do.

17. May 16, 2020 at 9:07 AM
    TheDevilYouLove

TheDevilYouLove You can’t polish a turd, but you can polish a TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Marylandistan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab 4x4 silver streak
    Highly unlikely the entire 12 quarts were flushed for $200 at the dealer. More likely that was a drain and fill that used 4 quarts max.

18. May 16, 2020 at 11:25 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Could be...my comment about 12 qts. was based on what was said in post #355.

"BTW they charged $200 just for that fluid."

19. Jul 10, 2020 at 10:56 AM
    ATXZJ

ATXZJ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma access cab 4x4
    2.5 OME, 5100s, Toytec, JBAs, ARB bumper, 265 ATs, ARE shell
    Hey guys, long lurker but first time posting. After sifting through the pages and pages of discussion I am still not clear if I can use AISIN WS trans fluid instead of the Toyota WS(?)

I'm a little over 100k and need to do a flush but can get the aisin for quite a bit cheaper than the toyota. Any help is appreciated!

20. Jul 10, 2020 at 11:21 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    WS compatible is WS compatible

Products Discussed in

To Top